SkyWest Union vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

L.A.pilot

SkyWest pilots will be voting soon on whether or not to form a union. Last week, the Unified Pilot Association (UPA), an independent organization formed by a group of SkyWest pilots, submitted an application to the NMB for an election on union representation.

Currently, there is no pilot union at SkyWest. There is an organization within the company called SAPA (SkyWest Airlines Pilot Association), paid for by the company, that currently employs two full-time and several part time pilot representatives that work with management to establish pay rates and work rules as part of the Crewmember Policy Manual. The policy can be changed at any time at the discretion of the company.

For pilots at unionized airlines: Do you feel that you are you better off with or without a union?

i agree

Captain X said:
ALPA. Insurance for the profession and our jobs. Much better off.

The best choice, remember ALPA is a tool box so its up to the pilot group on how to use the tools available. Good luck to the skywest crews as mgmt will pull out all the stops.

;)

I can't say for a fact that a union will improve life here, but I am willing to take a chance and find out.

Then there's the union protection from the FAA, pissed off CA's, FO's, FA's, all of which could try to get your career. I'd be concerned about that if I were there. "You're never truly off of probation without union protection, the company can fire you at their whim" as one chief pilot once told me...

L.A. Pilot,

Many SkyWest pilots believe that the pay and benefits they receive are due to the enlightened graciousness of the company, recognition of the professional qualifications they bring to the position and their ability to handle any emergency. In reality though, they are paid because of the sacrifices of those pilots who went before them and the collective labor muscle they were able to employ through unions. It's time for the pilots of SkyWest to start contributing to this profession.

Gobi Gred said:
L.A. Pilot,

Many SkyWest pilots believe that the pay and benefits they receive are due to the enlightened graciousness of the company, recognition of the professional qualifications they bring to the position and their ability to handle any emergency. In reality though, they are paid because of the sacrifices of those pilots who went before them and the collective labor muscle they were able to employ through unions. It's time for the pilots of SkyWest to start contributing to this profession.

The perfect post. Concise, easy to read, and overflowing with truth.

Gee, thanks Goggles. I can't take all the credit for that post though. Some of those statements I got were from an article I read awhile back (don't remember where).

Last edited:
If your contemplating retaining ALPA as your represenative body you need a long session at Betty Ford. Alpa under Woerth is a group of corrupt, self serving, lieing crooks. At least when your company is screwing you they give you a paycheck. With Alpa, after they finish the act, they take 1.95% and your job in the end.

Here's the latest from ALPA/National tactics concerning Commuter representation.

First Woerth with the help of Alpa attorneys threw out the MEC Policy manual and the standing resolution of 1997 requiring pilot ratification. Then they roll called thru all the agenda items. When the question was asked about furlough protection (PDT still has it)in the event of a future sale the same alpa attorneys said that we don't qualify under PDT's contract.

Ernie was right! We get ALL the protections of PDT's Section 1. I quote the relevant portion from the PDT CBA:

>>C. Furlough Protection

1. No pilot on the Piedmont Pilots Seniority List as of May 16, 2000 shall be furloughed, except as may be otherwise provided in Section 1.C.2., below.<<

"You see" the attorney explains, "The ALG pilots were not on the PDT senority list on that date".

The three still wanted to roll call it without seeking the chance of obtaining this protection. After wrangling they relented to let the lawyers at the behest of the five contact Harrison and Ford (the company's Attys)and try to see about such protections. The company's attorneys responded positvely and indicated they would like to close the deal but had to look into it. Now, much later in the day they are headed for a roll call vote on the LOA. Without the response from Harrison and Ford. Finally, Again they relent to give five minutes to try to reach them for a response. But, know the attorney can't reach them. "We should wait" say the five "to see if can get this protection for our pilots." The attorney indicated it may possibly be included in the deal......Can't wait for an answer say the three. ROLL CALL!!!!

Now, most of us expect a sale announcement as likely in the upcoming months. The three were saying all along they had to exercise roll call to prevent a possible asset transfer scenario to save the bottom 200 on a 350 pilot list (and other things). A noble premise I agree. In doing so however they likey have knowingly and callously sacraficed all 350 should a sale be further down the pike at any time.

Next stop the court house, joining fellow pilots in the persuit of fair representation.

http://www.pilots4fair.freeservers.com/
http://www.rjdefense.com/news.html

Gobi Gred said:
L.A. Pilot,

So, a union airline has never pulled out Skywest's compensation package for comparison during negotiations? I doubt that. If Skywest started paying RJ Captains $150/hr do you think ALPA would use that to get more for their pilot groups? [sarcasm] No, of course not. They would just stand around and say ‘Darn, if only they were union so we could use them for comparison!’.[/sarcasm]

All of UPA's dues will be kept within Skywest. There will be no contribution to the profession as a whole.

I for one am not willing to give up 2% or more of my pay for the rest of my career at Skywest on the chance that maybe things will be better with UPA than with SAPA. Things could also get a lot worse. I firmly believe that the company will not give anything more to UPA that it would give to SAPA, possibly less.

No one is an 'at will' employee at a large company. There are labor laws. You have to do something pretty dumb, repeatedly, to get fired from Skywest. I've seen the company bend over backward for people a number of times.

Scott

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back