Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Ok, since these SKW union threads are all the rage right now, I have a question that came up through my own research that's been bugging me. Maybe some of you guys that know more about this than I do can help me out.

So suppose the vote passes and ALPA comes on the property, and negotiations begin for the initial contract. From what I've read, it can take some time, maybe even a year or more to hammer out the first contract. So now, here's my question.

The information from management that I've read says that "usually pay scales are frozen, including the normal annual increases." So if I understand that right, I'm basically stuck at $19.25/hr without benefits until the contract is agreed upon, which could take 1-3 years. I mean, I hope to GOSH that I'm wrong about this, but this is what it looks like to me. Please help me out here. I think this is the deal-breaking issue for me. Am I reading this right? Or am I just freaking out over nothing?

Thanks in advance,
-Goose

Ok, since these SKW union threads are all the rage right now, I have a question that came up through my own research that's been bugging me. Maybe some of you guys that know more about this than I do can help me out.

So suppose the vote passes and ALPA comes on the property, and negotiations begin for the initial contract. From what I've read, it can take some time, maybe even a year or more to hammer out the first contract. So now, here's my question.

The information from management that I've read says that "usually pay scales are frozen, including the normal annual increases." So if I understand that right, I'm basically stuck at $19.25/hr without benefits until the contract is agreed upon, which could take 1-3 years. I mean, I hope to GOSH that I'm wrong about this, but this is what it looks like to me. Please help me out here. I think this is the deal-breaking issue for me. Am I reading this right? Or am I just freaking out over nothing?

Thanks in advance,
-Goose

You will get your longevity raises.

I've asked that question to alot of OC members and they say that is false. I've been told what happens is that the day a union is voted in the current contract is frozen. Which means they cannot take anything away that is in the policy manual but they cannot take away our annual pay increase. This is what I have been told and take it for what it is.

Thanks in advance,
-Goose

Like Boiler said, you still get your longevity. Furthermore, I don't think everything is necessarly "frozen." They just have to go through the union to make changes. I believe there can be Letters of Agreement and such in the short term until a contract is completed.

If your agreement with skywest includes cola bumps over the life of your agreement, like 1-2% per year, those may be frozen, but I am not sure. Mgmt is required to maintain status quo if the union drive is successful. They can't wipe out all that you have and make you earn it back. You will go to second and third year pay on your anniversery.

The way I understand it is that everything continues just like nothing happened until the new contract is signed. So if you are a new hire w/out insurance but it is supposed to kick in after 6 months, then it should still kick in.
If you are a new hire making $19.25/hr and at your 1 year date it is supposed to go to $23.00/hr, the raise should still kick in at your anniversary date.
If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal for a company to penalize employees during this process.

Thanks in advance,
-Goose

The "information" that management has given you is incorrect, and it would be illegal for them to stop giving you your longevity bonuses if ALPA was elected to represent you. The current policy manual, including pay rates and longevity bonuses and all of your work rules, will remain in effect until a new contract is ratified. The only way management is allowed to modify your current pay and work rules is if they can prove to a judge that their business has fundamentally changed and that they need to make changes in order to survive.

If the ALPA vote is successful, then you will continue to receive your yearly raise just as you would without ALPA.

If your agreement with skywest includes cola bumps over the life of your agreement, like 1-2% per year, those may be frozen

Nope, they can't even freeze those. I don't think that Skywest pilots currently have COLA raises, but hypothetically, if they did, then management would be required to continue them as if the vote never took place. Management is not allowed to change the terms of employment as a result of the union drive.

No COLA raises for SkyWest pilots. Our management has tried to convince us that our annual increase makes up for no COLA, they have even gone so far as suggesting that quick upgrades are more profitable for us than COLA. I'm just grateful they decide to pay me more for doing the same job year after year...[sarcasm/]

From what I've read, it can take some time, maybe even a year or more to hammer out the first contract.

maybe? MAYBE EVEN A YEAR?! try 3-6.

ASA's TA took them 5 years. This was from an experienced MEC. ours will be a rookie MEC, and if it happens count on them saying 'hey guys, give us a break. this was our first one, it'll get better with the next one,' and on and on and on.

haters! pile on now with how SAPA is worse, JA is the devil, you're just looking out for us in the industry, blah blah blah blah.

I guess every SkyWest thread for the next month or two will go down this same road. yipppee!

Latest resources

Back