* -RIGHT- TURN TO A HEADING OF 340 DEGREES. *
* AT 10.3 DME SOUTH OF DBL VOR (DBL R-165/D10.3) *
* TURN -LEFT- TO A HEADING OF 270 DEGREES. *
* INTERCEPT THE IPKN LDA NORTHWEST COURSE *
* (OUTBOUND ON BACKCOURSE - IPKN 300/D15.0) *
* DIRECT LINDZ INTXN (DBL VOR 244/13.0). *
* CLIMB IN HOLDING PATTERN AT LINDZ INTXN. *
* (WEST, LEFT TURNS, 064 INBOUND).*

You should have seen the 13+ pages of 10-7's for XJT's RNO stuff. Pretty similar to the above. And why, who the hell knows. Never understood why tracking the LOC south wasn't an option. Our current set of 10-7's goes from 10-7 thru 10-7U.

You must think about the radius of a turn. The faster the speed, in this case V2, the larger the radius...the larger the radius the greater the chance of hitting the rocks. That's part of the reason the Dash8's and Avro's were better aircraft in there. Low v2 speeds small radius. CR7's E-jets...lots of swept back wing need lot's of V2 speed.

All joking aside about the AVRO, the fact that if you're engine out, you STILL have 3 out of 4 motors turning.

Why does the BAC/AVRO have 4 engines? Because they couldn't fit 6. Hardy har har.

Last edited:
The Avro/BAe was definitely a great little plane. They were "real" planes. (Then again I think all old planes were "real" planes). Much nicer than the crj's, erj's (& yes, erj's does include the e-jets too). Its sad that the beautiful design isn't around (in the U.S.) much anymore. Has anyone seen what the AN-148 looks like? I think that is a sweet looking bird.

ONCE AGIAN!! The problem.

You must think about the radius of a turn. The faster the speed, in this case V2, the larger the radius...the larger the radius the greater the chance of hitting the rocks. That's part of the reason the Dash8's and Avro's were better aircraft in there. Low v2 speeds small radius. CR7's E-jets...lots of swept back wing need lot's of V2 speed.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!!!!!!!!
I've been doing the KASE SAAAR approaches for the past 7 years. Radius of turn is in fact one of the two most critical factors (OEI climb being the other) for these approaches.
In the Falcon we typically arrive with a Vref of 110 kts, so our balked landing climb speed could be as little as 120kts. We've plotted a 140kt radius of turn at 30 deg AOB and it keeps us clear of all the rocks and also puts us overhead the airport at 11,000' msl.
Now where it gets really dicey is when the ceiling is 1200' and the temp is +10 or colder. Having the heats on and losing an engine on the balked landing requires nothing short of your "A Game".

On another note, what kind of loads can the CRJ/ERJ's carry into Aspen????

I imagine that Republic might rethink losing the Q's when the winds kick up (preventing normal ops to Rwy 15) and the ERJ's can't do the circle to land on Rwy 33.

True but man was it a comfortable airplane for everyone involved. Beats the crud out of a CRJ in every way except top speed when doing a CDO trip.

Oh, I know it -- just giving you guys a hard time. :laugh:

I've never flown them, but started riding on them back in the mid-80's when Presidential Airways had them. Always enjoyed their comfortable ride!

CRJ/ERJ's carry into Aspen????

The -700 does pretty well to and from DEN even with AI on as the fuel load is often below 6K for the short flight. The longer flights into ASE can usually pull off a landing at structural limits but can be weight restricted on departure.

For those in the know, is Republic going to fly the 170 in to ASE or is it rumor only?

I've seen

Latest resources

Back