Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest taking ASA planes (non-union-taking union work)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scarlet

ALPA is planning a big push for Skywest pilots to join. Skywest is offering their pilots alot of growth and a raise !!

Alot of Skywest pilots say they are not voting in favor of ALPA, but will fly ASA planes and routes !!

What has ALPA ever done for a commuter? Especially when they represent the commuters partners. SkyW should talk to the Teamsters....Look what they have done for the fractionals.

As for flying ASA a/c...What are you talking about? Who do you think owns your a/c? SkyW will use their as they choose. Be smart Scarlet and get out now before you are the last one standing at the dance.

Good luck...Baja.

Gotta agree Scarlet. You have to look no farther than CCAir to see ASA's future.

Mesa bought CCAir and when negotiation time came around and CCAir told them to stuff the lousy pay rates, Mesa simply shut down CCAir and that was that. BOTH of those companies were ALPA. All CCAir pilots were transferred to the Mesa side on the Mesa contract.(In many cases their bases moved across the country and many took downgrades from what I was told. Many more simply were left jobless when they refused.)

I suspect that is ASA's future. Shut down and brought over to Skywests work agreement, or lack of one so to speak. I know a few guys at Skywest. I cannot see ALPA getting much of a vote over there from what I am told.

Maybe I have been furloughed a few too many times, but I would not be buying anything expensive right now if I were you.

>>skywest pilots are scabs<<

That kind of talk needs to stop right now. Scabs are the lowest form of life and it is a status that lasts forever.
The best thing that can happen to true scabs is to have the community dilute and cloud the true meaning of the term. Once that happens the heinous stigma abates as does the deterrent effect of a scab declaration.

Crossing the line to becoming a scab is an act that individual workers do. It is an issue between worker groups that has nothing directly to do with managment.

What is going on between ASA and SkyWest is a management issue. It has nothing to do with with the two work groups being against each other.

Even if SkyWest ends up with all the ASA aircraft, which they own, the pilots will be doing nothing more than flying their own carrier's aircraft, passengers, and routes.

If one pilot group flying aircraft and routes obtained from another carrier means scabbing, then every AMR pilot has scabbed against AirCAL, TWA, and RenoAir. Every Delta pilot has scabbed against PanAM. Every NWA pilot has scabbed against Republic, Every SWA pilot has scabbed against Morris, Every FedEX pilot has scabbed against Flying Tigers, et-cetera et-cetera, and the various unions were cheering those manuevers all along when it meant more growth for the home team.
It is a rough and tumble world out there. You eat or you get eaten. Management plays the games and the pilots fly the planes. Until a legitimately established picket line is crossed, there are no scabs.
The best way to give the label "scab" the most power and impact is to use it only when it properly applies and then vigorously condemn and reject those who ultimately earn it.

Last edited:
>>skywest pilots are scabs<<

That kind of talk needs to stop right now. Scabs are the lowest form of life and it is a status that lasts forever.
The best thing that can happen to true scabs is to have the community dilute and cloud the true meaning of the term. Once that happens the heinous stigma abates as does the deterrent effect of a scab declaration.

Crossing the line to becoming a scab is an act that individual workers do. It is an issue between worker groups that has nothing directly to do with managment.

What is going on between ASA and SkyWest is a management issue. It has nothing to do with with the two work groups being against each other.

Even if SkyWest ends up with all the ASA aircraft, which they own, the pilots will be doing nothing more than flying their own carrier's aircraft, passengers, and routes.

If one pilot group flying aircraft and routes obtained from another carrier means scabbing, then every AMR pilot has scabbed against AirCAL, TWA, and RenoAir. Every Delta pilot has scabbed against PanAM. Every NWA pilot has scabbed against Republic, Every SWA pilot has scabbed against Morris, Every FedEX pilot has scabbed against Flying Tigers, et-cetera et-cetera, and the various unions were cheering those manuevers all along when it meant more growth for the home team.
It is a rough and tumble world out there. You eat or you get eaten. Management plays the games and the pilots fly the planes. Until a legitimately established picket line is crossed, there are no scabs.
The best way to give the label "scab" the most power and impact is to use it only when it properly applies and then vigorously condemn and reject those who ultimately earn it.

Totally 100% correct.

A SCAB is one entity and one only--someone who performs "struck work" (almost always crossing a picket line) that has been legally declared by a union's leadership.

- flying for a non-union carrier does not make one a scab
- flying for LCCs does not make you a scab
- flying OT with guys on furlough does not make you a scab
- agreeing to concessionary contracts does not make one a scab
- flying OT when some totalitarian Big-Brother-wannabees "they" say you shoudn't, such as when negotiations are going nowhere, does not make you a scab

PERFORMING UNION-DEFINED STRUCK WORK, AND NOTHING ELSE makes one a scab.

Save the vicious word SCAB for those who truly deserve it, and it will maintain the stigma that it should and must.

Latest resources

Back