• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKywest takes more Union Work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is with regionals that have captains that have been there 15 or 18 years. Why haven't they gone to the majors? They are trying to make a career out of a non-career job.
Majors outsourced the "career" jobs of flying 50 to 99 seat jets across this country.

Further, with some "regional" Captains making over 100K a year flying an RJ doing quasi international flying while being home most every night it is hard to argue that this isn't a decent career choice. Nothing replaces having 2,000 pilots below you on a seniority list.

I'm trying to move on, but I certainly don't feel I have anything up on those who choose to stay.

The problem is that our union refuses to conceede that RJ pilots are pilots with careers worth protecting and an integral part of a profession worth promoting.

Schmuck, a Yiddish word, has a range of meaning depending on context. In its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing, in which case “dumb schmuck” is the appropriate expression.

Wouldn't "dumb schmuck" be redundant? I'm guessing F'n would be worse.

Thanks, you beat me to it.

Maybe? F'n is the way to not get banned. And I would say it's worse.

Well, I'm just curious:

If all the union carriers were to take SKYW flying...would you guys and gals still be miffed about taking flying from others' or would you be celebrating the unity of the organized labor? Interesting way of looking at it, though the mindset confuses me: are you standing on principle or just lamenting loosing flying, regardless of who takes it? If the latter, then union/non-union shouldn't matter; if the latter, then I suppose it OK for one union airline to take the flying from another union airline. Either way, the logic escapes me here...

I don't think our 18-year guys are making 55-70% of a Comair guy at the same longevity. While there is some validity the pay scale differential (if not the other compensation not mentioned), it's not nearly the gap to which you speak.

Look delta guys fly the 76 and the 75 for the same rate. Are they scabs? We are trying for better pay but so are ASA and everybody else. Wait didn't mesaba just take a pay cut?

I don't think our 18-year guys are making 55-70% of a Comair guy at the same longevity. While there is some validity the pay scale differential (if not the other compensation not mentioned), it's not nearly the gap to which you speak.

113 versus 93 per hour. It will be more like 98 per hour if the pay deal is approved. Not sure what kind of bonuses, duty rigs, and other factors to consider are at Comair. The senior SKYW guy will see about 5% in bonuses. If he does the 423 plan he'll probably net a few grand on that before taxes.

Realistically the SKYW guy is making more like 90-95% of what the Comair guy is making. Depending on CMR's it might even be a wash.

Latest resources

Back