SkyWest/Republic & Scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gen Lee

I don't post here much. I don't agree with most of what you say, and probably won't argue this with you too much. You mentioned that DAL, UAL/CAL etc are about to enter negotiations and they won't give up scope. Negotiations are just that, pilots want this, company won't give up that. Company wants this, pilots won't give up that. You sound rather confident that the pilots are going to get all they want. Negotiations don't work that way. Historically, DAL managment has negotiated the scope they want, not the DAL pilots. Aside from "I know me and my DAL buddies won't give up scope", what makes you so confident that DCI won't be flying larger planes in the future?

All of this is true, would the senior be willing to give up $5, $10 an hour to placate scope? Nope, never has happened.

Resurrect the pensions, and scope will fold like a lawn chair...............

Dont worry, ALPO will protect the regional............

Smisek sat stonily through Dorgan’s remarks Thursday, never reverting to the sort of comments he made a day earlier, when he said he never knew that Colgan had failed to give its pilots hands-on training in a key component of the plane’s stall-recovery system.

“We weren’t aware of that training deficiency,” Smisek said. “That’s the responsibility of the FAA” — the Federal Aviation Administration.

So ... has anyone from the dear FAA taken responsibility? What happened to the Colgan POI?

Gen Lee

I don't post here much. I don't agree with most of what you say, and probably won't argue this with you too much. You mentioned that DAL, UAL/CAL etc are about to enter negotiations and they won't give up scope. Negotiations are just that, pilots want this, company won't give up that. Company wants this, pilots won't give up that. You sound rather confident that the pilots are going to get all they want. Negotiations don't work that way. Historically, DAL managment has negotiated the scope they want, not the DAL pilots. Aside from "I know me and my DAL buddies won't give up scope", what makes you so confident that DCI won't be flying larger planes in the future?

My point exactly. The Genital just doesn't want to admit it. He wants to take this stand that he won't vote to relax scope. Well just wait into those offers start coming in from the company. 15% pay raise, retirement bennies, more planes, etc. He will trip over himself all the way to the ALPA office trying to garner support and then he will run back to flightinfo and swear he voted "no."

Honestly, you can't treat a group of pilots like that, even if you really do have big egos and think your poop doesn't stink, like you actually do. Really now, get some manners. Are you okay now? Cooled off yet? Good.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Funny!!! Coming from you...

hey, easy now, no need to get testy. If you were talking about deliveries, then you know that gary kelly said no new net gain of planes through 2012, so that probably won't happen. I was talking about your ridiculous attempt at trying to staple the f9 guys. Honestly, you can't treat a group of pilots like that, even if you really do have big egos and think your poop doesn't stink, like you actually do. Really now, get some manners. Are you okay now? Cooled off yet? Good.

Bye bye---general lee

pot, meet kettle!!!!

I know there are legacy guys out there that hold some ungodly hatred toward regional pilots and their desire for staying with the regionals. But here is where I'm coming from:

I can't get on with a legacy until I have 121 PIC time (or hot female regional FO with zero 121 PIC time, in DL's recent hiring case...and might I add "Good for her, I'd do the same thing if I could"). I can't get 121 PIC time until I upgrade to captain. I can't upgrade to captain until there is:
a) Regional Growth (not holding breath) or b) Legacies hire and captains leave our regional.

And there-in lies the problem---generally speaking, Captain's aren't leaving. They don't want to leave. Why (reasons I hear)?
a) When scope was relaxed, that decreased the potential spots at legacies and increased their time at the regionals. They don't want to be hazed by the seniority system again. Especially now that they have kids (When the wife wants babies, the wife wants babies. They don't care about hiring cycles and scope).
b) Because they can't afford the pay cut...and/or not worth it with little time remaining to "make it back"

Do I blame them? No. Just as I don't blame our regional female F.O.'s for "cutting the line" as one of my bitter colleagues put it. But there are solutions...that is if you're really interested in depriving the regionals of pilots and "taking back" the industry. I've heard 2 that make sense.

1) Increase Legacy carrier 1st year FO pay above regional Captain pay (which will mean an across-the-board pay sacrifice on all levels of longevity).
or
2) Make it common practice of hiring regional pilots without 121 PIC time.

Bottom line, you have to open a window somewhere.

Bottom line, you have to open a window somewhere.

Unfortunately, they don't. They have more than enough applicants. Your and my career progression is not something that anyone on Virginia Ave is even conscious of. You or I might make a great Delta newhire and be a great asset to the company, but without the criteria to make it through the resume screen, we are SOL. The choices are: get some PIC, get some good internal rec's, grow a vajay-jay, or some combination of the above.

For all of the people trying to actually contribute to this thread I'll simply ask -

Would you rather fly for your current regional

or

Fly for Delta, United, Southwest etc that own the airframes. That's what General doesn't get.

Gup

I can guarantee that I will not vote to give up my CAL scope. Unless Smisik has my wife and kids at gun point, or he can bring my Dad back from the dead, nothing he can give me will incline me vote for a scope reduction. I have not flown with many who feel differently either.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back