• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest QOL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone have any info on SkyWest? What is the QOL like? What about ORD as a CRJ fo? Thank you in advance!

QOL is pretty good. It's definitely a lot better than another airline I've worked for...For example, when they're trying to cover a shift, they call me and ask me if I want to pick it up instead of just Junior Assigning me. At a minimum I've always had at least 11 days off, even on reserve. Work rules and trip rigs aren't bad either. Plus, when you are a lineholder, you have the ability to drop and pick up trips to make your schedule what you want it to be. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

As far as ORD...I don't think we're hiring into the jet right now (however "rumors" say that will change soon) so I wouldn't expect anything but the Bro right now as a new-hire. ORD isn't too bad; I was based there for 9 months, and it runs pretty smooth (ATC is the best in the nation there, bar-none). Although in bad weather, you can expect to get stuck in out-stations due to flow sometimes. Although, it definitely wasn't the "horror-story" that some people made it out to be. However, being from the west, I didn't really like the weather there very much.

Overall, I've been really happy over here. But if you get on the jet, expect to sit reserve for a significant period of time right now in every base. MKE is still the most Jr, ORD second most.

That's all I can say without more information. Hope that helped.

At a minimum I've always had at least 11 days off, even on reserve.

Always had at least 11 days off a month? Fantastic, that sure was nice of them. Don't you have a min days off a month in your contract...

I was based there for 9 months, and it runs pretty smooth (ATC is the best in the nation there, bar-none). Although in bad weather, you can expect to get stuck in out-stations due to flow sometimes.

That's a pretty bold statement. Chicagoland is out by itself, now what the guys do on the East coast is truly impressive, despite the delays.

Sorry to threadjack, I don't have any useful info in QOL at Skywest. All I know is I'm guaranteed a MIN of 12 days off a month regardless of the line type.

Last edited:
SkyWest doesn't have a minimum days off. They have a max of 20 duty days a month.

Does anyone have any info on SkyWest? What is the QOL like? What about ORD as a CRJ fo? Thank you in advance!
Seening as how they are not hiring, I would be willing to be that the QOL has improved.

I have friends at SkyWest. All seem to be relatively happy, no un-usual complaints that any other regional puke couldn't make.

ASA is undergoing a 'SkyWest-i-zation'. The results seem to be working out for the better.

Like any airline its all about seniority. Top 20% (18 mnths) in ORD will get you 16+ days off with about 85-90 credit. I have personally never been re-flowed or even asked to do a JM. If your senior enough you can leave ORD on day 1 of a 4 day a go to west coast until your last day.With our schedule alteration software you can alter your schedule even down to 62 hours without using vacation or user time. most trips average out to be around 5.5 hours a day. Could of have been better with ALPA. Reserve on the other hand is like a whole different airline...

3:45 min day
Full deadhead pay
No involuntary Junior Manning
1.5 for open time pickup
Block or better
Leg by Leg cancellation pay

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back