• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

Traumahawk

Skywest proposes to XpressJet...pending religious conversion

sorry if this was already posted somewhere else, but what happens to xjet ALPA if this goes through?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080128/airline_stocks_sector_snap.html?.v=1

ExpressJet Leads Airline-Stock Gains As Investors Hope for Acquisition by SkyWest; Oil Drops

NEW YORK (AP) -- ExpressJet Holdings Inc. led airline stock gains Monday as investors hoped that industry consolidation talks would include a deal between the Houston carrier and larger competitor SkyWest Inc.

ExpressJet shares rose 34 cents, or 14.8 percent, to $2.64 in morning trading. SkyWest investors were less enthusiastic about a potential deal, sending its stock down 31 cents to $24.70.
Hayman Advisors LP, which owns a 6.25 percent stake in ExpressJet, advised the company last week to abandon its ramp-up of branded-flying operations, sell non-core assets and look for potential merger or acquisition deals with competitors like SkyWest or Republic Airways Holdings Inc. The investment firm reported its suggestions in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Friday.
Media reports said SkyWest Chief Financial Officer Brad Rich responded to the letter by saying Skywest is open to acquiring smaller carriers like ExpressJet. Representatives from SkyWest and ExpressJet could not be immediately reached for comment.
Other airline stocks rose as light, sweet crude for March delivery lost 96 cents to $89.75 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The Amex Airline Index rose 1.7 percent to 33.70. Fuel is one of the airline industry's highest costs.
UAL Corp. shares rose after Soleil Securities analyst James Higgins lifted its stock rating to "Buy" from "Hold" in a note Monday, saying its labor problems have diminished. UAL accomodated pilot-union demands by altering some schedules and improving work rules for narrow-body jet pilots.
"More work needs to be done," Higgins wrote, "but we are satisfied for now that labor issues will not disrupt the earnings outlook."
UAL shares rose 70 cents, or 2 percent, to $35.57 in morning trading.
Other gains were posted by AirTran Holdings Inc., which rose 31 cents, or 3.9 percent, to $8.32; Alaska Air Group Inc., which rose 71 cents, or 3.1 percent, to $23.31; US Airways Group Inc., which rose 31 cents, or 2.5 percent, to $12.60; and Continental, which rose 43 cents to $26.18.

Last edited:
you have GOT to be kidding me...(regarding moderator input...don't worry i fix it i fix it...now it's ambiguous)

Last edited:
Deleted.

BTW, Jimmy Tide 2008 for President. That man Loves a Clean Shirt.

Linger Longer!!

Last edited:
It's been explained to me...so on this issue, we'll keep the peace. Satire folks...SNL did pretty well up until the Will Ferrell croud left...
:beer:

Now...on the real issue. If this goes through, what happens to ExpressJet's contract and work rules that many of us in the industry are trying to build on and exceed!?!

Last edited:
you just posted an article about skywest and xjet, then added to the title that they were being forced to convert to Mormonism.

That's funny! I don'tcare what you say, that's funny!

Traumahawk, if it was a true merge, and not separate operations as with ASA, then a new representational vote would have to take place for the combined group. ExpressJet pilots seem to be very satisfied with their ALPA representation, so along with a third of the Skywest pilot group, I would imagine that the combined group would vote for ALPA representation. It would trigger new negotiations for a combined contract.

What would happen would be that all of us Southern Boys would come in and steal all of skywest's hot FA's with our southern charm!! ;)

Most likely XJet would pull back to Houston and Continental would get it's 69 ERJ's back, or more. I hear that they can cancel contracts for another 69 planes next January. That beautiful industry leading contract is a boulder hanging around your neck in the small jet provider sector. You have to ask yourself, "What's in it for SKYW?" What does EXJet have that SKYW might want? An expensive pilot contract? No. A backdoor for ALPA at SKYW? No. Additional flying for DAL at LAX? Yes. An independent branded opperation? Possibly. Another Major partner? Sure. If they can get what they want and insulate themselves from what they don't, wholesale or cheaper, then there might be a deal. Merger? Not likely, just ask ASA. Sorry for providing rational analysis. Mesa sucks, ALPA rules and Ron Paul for President! There is that better?

Cheers

Latest resources

Back