SKYWEST Pilots: SAY NO TO ALPA!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, at least it got your attention.

When the music stops will the Skywest pilots have a say in their placement? In addition, the outside world is getting closer with foreign control and globalization. Do you have sound arguements as to how the SW pilots will be immune to these forces?

Yes you have my attention.

But the fact of the matter is there is nothing you have mentioned that has not been solved with ALPA installed either.

SkyWest has been under the existing TA 18 months past what it set for but ASA has been doing the same thing for nearly 5 years and they have ALPA. ASA talks about greive programs that number in the thousands and admit that only the important ones are pursued, so obviously the CBA is more of a guideline than a policy, just like at SkyWest. Today's administration has completely nutered organized labor, management has found the key to breaking CBAs, and there is no way back from what I can see. Mesaba has been absolutly screwed by the justice system, and there isn't one thing ALPA can do about it, is it not the primary reason for representation? Following closely is Comair, the trail has been blazed.

Beyond that, it is blatant conflict of intrest for ALPA to represent a regional pilot group and tiered legacy above it, nothing less.

As far as foreign ownership and globalization, ALPA will have no say and no control over these issues, because if a contract is ratified at one airline that isn't impacted by it then it becomes the baseline for all the others.

From my perspective there is nothing ALPA can offer SkyWest.

SkyNation;1156714 [I said:
Sounds like the car is broken or breaking down, the map is useless, gas is running out and there is no support at most, if not all, ALPA regionals. Hmmmm, no thanks. Not a very good 'history' of the 'resource.'[/I]

Why do you think that the Car is immune from breaking down?
Do you think your car, oh wait you don't have one, but if you did would your car run perfect all f the time?

I want to work for a company that is strong now, prepared for the future 'rainy days,' and is nimble and willing to adjust to an ever changing and more competitive market. So far (without ALPA), I have those things.

Why would ALPA change that? ALPA doesn't control your business model
. What specifically would ALPA do? Force management? How?

34 years plus and counting...........

And you've been apart of that for how long? What do the industry analysist say about the regional future?

Will the ALPA regionals? Please give current examples of how union pilots at Mesaba, Comair, ASA, etc. are 'strong arming' their managements in having a say?

Not sure they are strong arming anyone. Did ALPA force UAL and DAL into BK? Mesaba? Comair? Why is Comair in BK and not SW?

Do you have equally strong, or better yet stronger arguments (since you're trying to sell this idea-don't burn down my house unless you can build me a better one) how union represented pilots will be immune to these forces?

Immune? No. But able to resist. Yes. Are you able to resist? have a say? the SW pilots do not work with management. management speaks. SWs pilots do.

The ark reference has to do with the people laughing at Noah for building an ark. The people believed they were not going to be effected.

Yes you have my attention.

But the fact of the matter is there is nothing you have mentioned that has not been solved with ALPA installed either.

Not sure if you realize what Mesabe ALPA has been doing. The judge said the company can impose terms. The company thought that would be all the leverage they needed. When ALPA and the other unions did not cry uncle to management, management realized they had to negotiate with ALPA.

At SW, managmeent doesn't need to wiat for a judge. They can impose whenever they like...

SkyWest has been under the existing TA 18 months past what it set for but ASA has been doing the same thing for nearly 5 years and they have ALPA. ASA talks about greive programs that number in the thousands and admit that only the important ones are pursued, so obviously the CBA is more of a guideline than a policy, just like at SkyWest. Today's administration has completely nutered organized labor, management has found the key to breaking CBAs, and there is no way back from what I can see. Mesaba has been absolutly screwed by the justice system, and there isn't one thing ALPA can do about it, is it not the primary reason for representation? Following closely is Comair, the trail has been blazed.

So it's ALPA fualt at ASA that their management doesn't obey the law and stick to the agreement?

Why is it that ALPA can't do a thing about? What can the SW pilots do about it? Do you even know how to file a legal brief? Serve an injuction? Do the SW pilots have 75 years of legal experience in the RLA?

Beyond that, it is blatant conflict of intrest for ALPA to represent a regional pilot group and tiered legacy above it, nothing less.

Common street education. This is false. Have been on the RJDC website?

As far as foreign ownership and globalization, ALPA will have no say and no control over these issues, because if a contract is ratified at one airline that isn't impacted by it then it becomes the baseline for all the others.

And you know this to be true becuase...why? You are a Utah pilot. What do you know about globalization? I don't know too much myself but I do know that ALPA knows about it. Pretty presumptious of you

From my perspective there is nothing ALPA can offer SkyWest.

That is the whole point. This is more than your perspective. this is about all of us. Not the SLC view, but the national and internation view. The real question is.. what does the SW pilot offer the industry. How do the SW pilots make the pilot profession better? What are the SW pilots doing to make this profession worthwhile?

What were the SW pilots contributions to LAHSO safety?

Perhaps you should look at it from a different prespective other than, what about me.

Question for you. Does ALPA have an international structure and presence?

There really is no analysis that indicates ALPA is the cause for the BK epidemic that plagues your parent carrier and others.

Have you read Hard Landing?

No member of the Mesaba Labor Coalition was left out to dry.
The coalition was very effective, credit Wychor(alpa), Rogat(afa) and Granath(amfa).
Bet unions at nwa wish they would have done it...

The strike issue became moot when Judge Dipsh** issued the strike injunction. Note, however, the level of support for us at the US
Courthouse last Thursdayat our picketing/protest/rally by over eight airlines, and by union leadership.
International ALPA also issued a hiring ban against mesaba management.

Last edited:
Follow up CFIT:

If you vote down union representation is there a concern that the message to management will be... "do what you will, we are yours"

That is the whole point. This is more than your perspective. this is about all of us. Not the SLC view, but the national and internation view.

How is having a national or international view going to help pilots at SkyWest when the issues are germain to only our organization? Should we just use the ALPA viewpoint solve our central concerns, of course not.

The real question is.. what does the SW pilot offer the industry. How do the SW pilots make the pilot profession better? What are the SW pilots doing to make this profession worthwhile?

We have helped shape an airline that is one of the most successful today, gives ample employment and potential for growth to thousands of pilots. I know for a fact that some of our practices have been adopted at other carriers that have contributed to a safer operation.

Probably nothing, we complied with the FAA HSAT like all the others that started the program after it was instilled.

Perhaps you should look at it from a different prespective other than, what about me.

Maybe I should but I think the issue of organized labor at SkyWest will not help anybody now including ASA.

Question for you. Does ALPA have an international structure and presence?

Probably, but I don't know how that helps at the regional level.

There really is no analysis that indicates ALPA is the cause for the BK epidemic that plagues your parent carrier and others.

Maybe there is, but who knows, from what it appears though it doesn't seem to help.

Have you read Hard Landing?

No I have not (but I've had a few).

The fact is that even if SkyWest were to vote in ALPA today it would be years before a contract could be developed that might help ASA, and that seems to be what you are after, isn't it? Would you wreck your airline for somebody else's gain?

I hope not.

How is having a national or international view going to help pilots at SkyWest when the issues are germain to only our organization? Should we just use the ALPA viewpoint solve our central concerns, of course not.

When the impact of international and globalization effects skywest pilots, a viewpoint is better than none.

We have helped shape an airline that is one of the most successful today, gives ample employment and potential for growth to thousands of pilots. I know for a fact that some of our practices have been adopted at other carriers that have contributed to a safer operation.

How have you helped shape it? by flying your trips? What I mean is, how have you addressed the issues as a pilot group?

Probably nothing, we complied with the FAA HSAT like all the others that started the program after it was instilled.

ALPA was instrumental in coming up with a safe policy that allowed pilots to help ATC move airplanes effeciently and not give up safety. The FAA plan has serious concerns.

The point? ALPA pilots were part of creating policy whilst SW pilots simply complied with it. I don't know about you, but as a professional I want to be a part of policy creation, not just compliance.

Maybe I should but I think the issue of organized labor at SkyWest will not help anybody now including ASA.

Again, it is not only about SW and ASA. It is about all of us.

Probably, but I don't know how that helps at the regional level.

I believe you will find out in less than five years. Right now the many global alliances are down to three. Your pilots fly in two of those alliances; Skyteam and Star. Right now, the foreign airlines of Europe and Asia are economically strong. They may didcate terms to UAL and DAL. I don't think they will really care about the SW pilots (or any pilots really) when they do. The pilots of represented carriers will have a voice in those terms.

Maybe there is, but who knows, from what it appears though it doesn't seem to help.

Help whom? The carriers? No. The pilots. Yes.

No I have not (but I've had a few).

I have. There is no discussion that the problem with the airline industry is unions. Unions are organizations run by people. Any organization that is run by people, including families, is going make mistakes.

Why did FedEx and CAL come back to ALPA? How does your opinion of ALPA fit with FedEx. have you seen thier TA?

The fact is that even if SkyWest were to vote in ALPA today it would be years before a contract could be developed that might help ASA, and that seems to be what you are after, isn't it? Would you wreck your airline for somebody else's gain?

I hope not.

Would you wreck ASA for your gain?

Last edited:
[/i]

The ark reference has to do with the people laughing at Noah for building an ark. The people believed they were not going to be effected.

umm, right. our 'ark' is weathering the storm, while arks that were built with 'ALPA's governance structure that ensures all pilots have a voice in all decisions that are made' (from skywestalpa.org) seem to not be fairing so well.

umm, right. our 'ark' is weathering the storm, while arks that were built with 'ALPA's governance structure that ensures all pilots have a voice in all decisions that are made' (from skywestalpa.org) seem to not be fairing so well.

But yet you cannot or will not provide a reason why other ALPA carriers aren't doing well. Is it becuase of ALPA or managment. Did ALPA kill Braniff, Pan Am and Eastern? TWA? The history books are clear on this. Is Skywest doing well because they are sucking the life out of ASA?

In addition, if ALPA is so bad why did FedEx and CAL come back? Have you seen the FedEx TA? Which was approved by over 95%. What does that mean? Also, why aren't ALPA pilots decertifying ALPA at the BK carriers? Is it possbile that SW is coddled by management because SW is non union?

How is SWA so sucessful with a union?

Finally, you don't have an ark, you've a management team that fears unionization so they're careful to give you enough, but not what you really derserve. Your work rules and payrates are balanced from union contracts. Where I come from, that is not your own, that is being at the whim of another...

So either way you benefit from union contracts and the efforts of ALPA on Captitol Hill. You might as well contribute instead of feed off of.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back