• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest Pilot "Creed"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We were not required to say the creed, it did seem VERY CORNY when it was displayed, but the leadership class was very informative and in many ways a tad eye opening.

Everyone can laugh at it, even we did too when we heard it, but the idea of the leadership class done by our pilots for our pilots, and then even tailored to other departments it actually has snowballed into a good program.

I did not repeat the creed, I swore an oath to defend the constitution and that's it.

I think the oath was a bad idea but that being said the whole concept was created by pilots with the idea of helping younger pilots to be more professional. I assume that the guys who came up with it were civilians, not military, and they probably were looking to instill a sense of higher purpose (ie safety) into some of then younger you-know-what-bags. The conceptual error was failing to realize that military professionalism comes from the culture and operating environment, not the oath.

Last edited:
I really honestly sincerely thought this was a big joke. If indeed this is true, its pathetic.

Why? Please explain?

Because we are all adults here and I didn't think a company could be so cheesy as to have a creed. And a lot of other things I could say about indoctrination. So I figured this MUST be a total complete joke! I guess I'm naive.

And there are "ADULTS" that didnt seem to act like adults and even professionals. Think one event I heard about (NOT TALKED ABOUT IN THE CLASS) where a crew on a repo flight decided it would be a great idea to "float" a FA, not once BUT TRIED IT TWICE before they got it right... Oh and the ADG deployed, and the CA tried to cover it up..

If it takes a stupid creed and a leadership class that, to be honest, is not perfect to maybe get a minority of our pilot group to WAKE UP and take there job seriously then so be it. If you learn something from the class great, if not you got paid for half of your time and got a free lunch. Plus even at the beginning of the class you were told you could walk out at anytime with out punishment from mgmt, but would lose out on the pay. Besides this leadership was endorsed by mgmt but was created by a group of skywest pilots.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back