• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Pay Proposal Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think the "pay increase" really qualifies as a raise. Just my opinion is that it should be higher than inflation. What you have now is a lesser pay loss.

The company is making about $150,000,000 a year, it has over $600,000,000 in the bank. Our executive compensation has more than doubled in the last 5 years, yet we continue to lose money on our end due to inflation. The end result will be tthat we as pilot make less per hour in 2010 than we did in 2000.

I think the company has plenty to give, it just dosent have to or want to.

Our pay has been going backwards for the last 6 years, which was when they stopped our annual COLA...Inflation has averaged 3.72% per year, multiply that by 6, and you'll see how far backwards we've gone already. Don't forget to add the next 4 years we're locked in for too! NICE

Our pay has been going backwards for the last 6 years, which was when they stopped our annual COLA...Inflation has averaged 3.72% per year, multiply that by 6, and you'll see how far backwards we've gone already. Don't forget to add the next 4 years we're locked in for too! NICE

Great point. I would have voted "yes" had the term been only 1 year, maybe 2. I would have looked at the 70/90 improvements as a step in the right direction. But now, we're going backwards slower for 4 years.

Oh well, maybe pay will be "revisited" in a year or two. Then again, I am pretty new here.

If I'm interpreting your words correctly, YOU are one of the 700+ guys that were too lazy/incompetent/apathetic to get off your sad arse and vote NO!!
I see that you're a captain, I bet a 4-day with you moaning over there in the left seat would be awesome, especially over the holidays.
Get some self respect! Have some respect for the ASA folks, who you guys have gladly cut off at the knees!
I don't see you going far in life with that attitude, after all, why would SWA/FedEx/UPS/etc want someone like you in their ranks??

Take a minute and answer the question, just don't come back whining about mngt would win anyway, blah, blah.

We start negotiations next year, now you turds have screwed (potentially) our group! At the very least, you have significantly weakened our position!

Thanks dumba$$es!!

1. You are not interpreting my words correctly. I voted yes. I get paid as well or better than any other 30 seat turboprop captain, so a raise isn't really critical for me. I voted "yes" so that if we have a union next year we will start negotiating our contract from a stronger position than if we voted the raise down. I also voted yes because otherwise management will just hold on to that money until next year when they might offer it again with some of the shells moved around. Finally, I voted yes because if it was voted down there would have been NO repurcussions for management. We voted the last one down and what happened? Did we get QOL improvements instead? Nope. Did we get a significantly better offer this time? Nope. Do we get retro pay for what we passed up over the past year? Nope. SO WHY THE FCK WOULD I VOTE NO?

2. You totally contradict yourself. First I'm apathetic, next I'm moaning (about what?) all 4 days of my trip? You are an idiot.

3. I don't fly 4-day trips, and I'm not flying over the holidays.

4. You think SkyWest pilots are having trouble getting on at FedEx or UPS or Southwest? Again, you are an idiot.

5. How have we weakened your position? We now have higher rates than we used to. I'm no rocket surgeon, but I don't see how that hurt you.

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

We start negotiations next year, now you turds have screwed (potentially) our group! At the very least, you have significantly weakened our position!

Thanks dumba$$es!!

who did you blame for all your problems before SkyWest bought you?

1. You are not interpreting my words correctly. I voted yes. I get paid as well or better than any other 30 seat turboprop captain, so a raise isn't really critical for me. I voted "yes" so that if we have a union next year we will start negotiating our contract from a stronger position than if we voted the raise down. I also voted yes because otherwise management will just hold on to that money until next year when they might offer it again with some of the shells moved around. Finally, I voted yes because if it was voted down there would have been NO repurcussions for management. We voted the last one down and what happened? Did we get QOL improvements instead? Nope. Did we get a significantly better offer this time? Nope. Do we get retro pay for what we passed up over the past year? Nope. SO WHY THE FCK WOULD I VOTE NO?

2. You totally contradict yourself. First I'm apathetic, next I'm moaning (about what?) all 4 days of my trip? You are an idiot.

3. I don't fly 4-day trips, and I'm not flying over the holidays.

4. You think SkyWest pilots are having trouble getting on at FedEx or UPS or Southwest? Again, you are an idiot.

5. How have we weakened your position? We now have higher rates than we used to. I'm no rocket surgeon, but I don't see how that hurt you.

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! etc.....!

You guys have obviously given the mngt of a HIGHLY profitable company the impression that you are happy with sh!t rates!
You have left a HUGE amount of cash/work rule improvements on the table!
I know that skyWest pilots are getting on with majors, as are RAH, Comair, Mesaba, yadda yadda yadda!
I don't know your schedule, nor do I care! I do know that you definately HAVE weakened your position, because mngt will hold this up and say "but we have a contract/agreement to fly for these rates, now you want to renegotiate?" You're naive at best and no mngt type in the USA is gonna say "hey, it was fun while it lasted, you guys are right, we should give you more". Yeah right!
You see nothing beyond your little 30 seat rate and your seniority, coupled with whatever you enjoy flying (2, 3, 1 day trips), and you think this was the right move?

You are a creton! You think you have furthered your position, well you're right, you have furthered YOUR position mister, at the expense of every other regional pilot out there!
When you guys bought ASA, you had some responsibility, as Pilots, to raise the bar for the WHOLE group! NOT just the morons, who call ASA "SKYWEST EXPRESS".

You ARE pathetic and you DID weaken the negotiating position of other groups, mister "I've got mine"!!!!

Have fun with your increased purchasing power, it should last about 2 months at this rate!!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! etc.....!

You guys have obviously given the mngt of a HIGHLY profitable company the impression that you are happy with sh!t rates!
You have left a HUGE amount of cash/work rule improvements on the table!
I know that skyWest pilots are getting on with majors, as are RAH, Comair, Mesaba, yadda yadda yadda!
I don't know your schedule, nor do I care! I do know that you definately HAVE weakened your position, because mngt will hold this up and say "but we have a contract/agreement to fly for these rates, now you want to renegotiate?" You're naive at best and no mngt type in the USA is gonna say "hey, it was fun while it lasted, you guys are right, we should give you more". Yeah right!
You see nothing beyond your little 30 seat rate and your seniority, coupled with whatever you enjoy flying (2, 3, 1 day trips), and you think this was the right move?

You are a creton! You think you have furthered your position, well you're right, you have furthered YOUR position mister, at the expense of every other regional pilot out there!
When you guys bought ASA, you had some responsibility, as Pilots, to raise the bar for the WHOLE group! NOT just the morons, who call ASA "SKYWEST EXPRESS".

You ARE pathetic and you DID weaken the negotiating position of other groups, mister "I've got mine"!!!!

Have fun with your increased purchasing power, it should last about 2 months at this rate!!

The only responsability I feel is to the pilots of skywest. What else goes on everywhere else around the industry I really do not worry myself with. I hope to see each pilot group get the best deal they can. Remember Express Jet got their good contract not that long after the Mesa contract. Delta, United, NWA etc were all able to get much better contracts than southwest back in the 90s despite SWA having lower rates. You will never be able to convince me that pilot contracts are a dynamic process. They are a static process, each group makes the best deal they can with their management independant of what others make. I have no desire to raise the bar nor lower the bar. I wouldn't take a paycut however I do not demand to be industry leader either. As a previous poster said SkyWest 30 seat turboprop rates are pretty far ahead of others rates. At least now we have a rate split/override in the contract on the off chance we get a union.

If the contracts each pilot groups took had such a large effect on the industry then XJET and CHQ would have gotten a Mesa scale or less back in 2004. Sorry that argument simply does not have any sense to it. You worry about your pilot group we will worry about ours. We skywest pilots simply do not have the energy to treat other regionals like baby cubs. We are not papa or mama bear here. We aren't here to look out for you, we are here to make the best deal we can for our pilot group. I wish your pilot group luck in your negotiations. I wish to see everyone get the best payscale they can.

The only responsability I feel is to the pilots of skywest.

Obviously not, because you've been the CHAMPION of that pay agreement that sold out the Brasilla pilots.

Once again, you have a completely myopic view of collective and pattern bargaining. You say negotiating is a static process yet you've said MULTIPLE TIMES how you are going to wait until other airlines get new contracts to see just what Skywest can get.

You are willing to ride the coattails of another pilot group's sacrifice if it gets you a bigger paycheck but aren't willing to risk doing the same yourself. Pathetic.

Latest resources

Back