• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Pay Proposal Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WOW, I honestly can't believe this passes. You guys are a farking joke! As someone else said, an over ride is NOT a split rate. What a bunch of clowns.

I agree. Apparently many didn't even know what they were voting on since they are talking about "split rates."

We're a joke because this passed?! Apparently you don't know how it works when you negotiate with NO leverage. If this was voted down, we would have seen another proposal next year with the shells moved around.

Hellonewman. How OLD are you are you 13? Seriously, you are happy to vote in this crap override "as a building block" and "we'll do better next year" How much better is it going to get? Let us all know.

I disliked unions when I started in this business, and ALPA does not have all the answers, but I realized that this industry still needs them.

I am AMAZED at how many people are willing to wait until "next year" for another .45 cents, but if you mention ALPA they want the results NOW NOW NOW!!! You are willing to believe SKW MGMT will do the right thing "someday", yet you don't believe ALPA, with a little time could secure a MUCH BETTER contract at some point in the future.

Newman, do you even know how contract negotiations work? I'll 'splain it to you. You see, when a regional carrier gets a really GOOD contract, it gives ALL the other regionals leverage to negotiate a better contract. Sometimes they even leapfrog OVER the other regionals in pay/QOL etc. Then, this "raises the bar" for the other regionals and THEY have more leverage to do this again. The problem is when someone takes a substandard pay raise, or agrees to fly, say a larger airplane at the same rate as a smaller airplane, then ALL regionals lose significant leverage. All the regionals currently in negotiations will have your rates THROWN IN THEIR FACE. "Look, one of the most profitable regionals works for this rate, why can't you?"

So you'll just have to understand why we are not applauding your financial windfall. But you don't care cause you're gonna just get your 1000 hours and move along aren't you? Hey, thats a good plan. Never heard that one before!!

Now we'll see all the ALPA bashers reply with the "All ALPA carriers are doing worse than us" argument. Fine. bash away

Hellonewman. How OLD are you are you 13? Seriously, you are happy to vote in this crap override "as a building block" and "we'll do better next year" How much better is it going to get? Let us all know.

I disliked unions when I started in this business, and ALPA does not have all the answers, but I realized that this industry still needs them.

I am AMAZED at how many people are willing to wait until "next year" for another .45 cents, but if you mention ALPA they want the results NOW NOW NOW!!! You are willing to believe SKW MGMT will do the right thing "someday", yet you don't believe ALPA, with a little time could secure a MUCH BETTER contract at some point in the future.

Newman, do you even know how contract negotiations work? I'll 'splain it to you. You see, when a regional carrier gets a really GOOD contract, it gives ALL the other regionals leverage to negotiate a better contract. Sometimes they even leapfrog OVER the other regionals in pay/QOL etc. Then, this "raises the bar" for the other regionals and THEY have more leverage to do this again. The problem is when someone takes a substandard pay raise, or agrees to fly, say a larger airplane at the same rate as a smaller airplane, then ALL regionals lose significant leverage. All the regionals currently in negotiations will have your rates THROWN IN THEIR FACE. "Look, one of the most profitable regionals works for this rate, why can't you?"

So you'll just have to understand why we are not applauding your financial windfall. But you don't care cause you're gonna just get your 1000 hours and move along aren't you? Hey, thats a good plan. Never heard that one before!!

Now we'll see all the ALPA bashers reply with the "All ALPA carriers are doing worse than us" argument. Fine. bash away

Hmmm well for some it is .45 cents for others its a few bucks. This depends on the aircraft you fly. The bottom line is we now get paid more to fly the 700/900. Yes it is an over ride but every minute we spend flying that plane gets paid a couple bucks more an hour. There is no true split rate because we do not have FOs or CAs that are strictly 700 or 900 pilots. We are qualified on all the aircraft. It is definately more efficent than having only 200 FOs or only 700 FOs etc. For this reason an over ride makes sense to me. With ALPA coming in how are we guaranteed anything? It has taken ASA over 4 years with no end in sight. That could possibly mean no raise at all for at least a couple years.

With this raise at least we have something to offset the dues should ALPA get voted in. I do not believe they will get voted in. 30% of our pilots didn't even bother to vote on the pay proposal. Basically this would have been turning down free money. Had we not voted this in then we would still be flying the planes for the same rate for the next year or two at the least. As far as raising the bar goes I think that contract negotiations are a personal thing between the company and the pilot group only. Each group is able to hammer out a different contract based on many factors. Express Jet was able to get their contract right after Mesa had signed their steamy turd of a contract. This shows me that what other pilot groups get paid do not have as large of an effect as one would think. That being said I simply wish to have each pilot group get the best deal that they can. I believe this was the best deal we could get at this point in time. The competition is still fierce. I do believe ASA will have a new contract soon. You can bet that when this happens we will have much more leverage.

I believe once ASA gets their deal we will be able to get a much larger raise and finally have the favor repaid. When this happens all airlines will be able to get better deals. The dust is finally starting to settle, we are all starting to emerge from one of the darkest periods in avation. Call me an optimist if you will. Management will not be able to use the 9/11 and/or economical excuse forever. The darkest days are behind us and we can all now move forward with hopes of better pay for all. We would all love to make more money. I believe all this can be achieved without ALPA at the helm. Hopefully this time the good times will last a lot longer than the bad times have. Almost the entire decade so far has been an awful time to be a pilot. Many sacrifices have been made but now as money is being made again the time has come for our sacrifices to be rewarded.

Never a dull moment here: sympathesizers, antagonists, realists, militants, the stupid, the naive and the biased. A little something for everyone and mostly for entertainment purposes...

I believe once ASA gets their deal we will be able to get a much larger raise and finally have the favor repaid. When this happens all airlines will be able to get better deals. The dust is finally starting to settle, we are all starting to emerge from one of the darkest periods in avation.

FAVOR? You did ASA a favor? That REALLY hit me wrong man

THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT. You are perfectly happy to use the backs of the ASA pilots, DUES PAYING UNION MEMBERS who have been negotiating for 4 years to your advantage. Don't want to see your precious 2% salary go to earn it yourself!!! ALL YOU CAN SEE IS THAT IT WILL HELP YOU DOWN THE LINE!!

YOU ARE NO DOUBT THE BIGGEST RETARD I'VE EVER SEEN ON THIS BOARD AND I'VE BEEN READING IT FOR A LONG TIME.

Banned with superkooter

FAVOR? You did ASA a favor? That REALLY hit me wrong man

THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT. You are perfectly happy to use the backs of the ASA pilots, DUES PAYING UNION MEMBERS who have been negotiating for 4 years to your advantage. Don't want to see your precious 2% salary go to earn it yourself!!! ALL YOU CAN SEE IS THAT IT WILL HELP YOU DOWN THE LINE!!

YOU ARE NO DOUBT THE BIGGEST RETARD I'VE EVER SEEN ON THIS BOARD AND I'VE BEEN READING IT FOR A LONG TIME.

Banned with superkooter

Coopervane, Please don't think Newman is speaking for all of us...Some of us are trying hard to talk some sense into him and others like him(unfortunatly, we seem to have hired a lot like him in the last 24 months) With him and those like him, it's all about them and the heck with everyone else. They don't seem to "get it", and sadly I don't think they ever will. Best of luck to all of you with your real contract, and just know that many of us are behind you all the way!

Latest resources

Back