• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Palm Springs vs Houston heat

A perfect example of IAH weather....
On a recent summer trip to IAH
Weather at ONT 109°f low humidity
Weather at IAH 95°f 100% humidity

5 min walk from Employee parking lot to the terminal draging bag in 109°f sun. Did not even break a sweat.

Arrive at IAH, walk to the car parked at baggage claim..standing outside for less than a minute, sweaty all over...:cool:

Re: ......

sstearns2 said:
>"One summer in IAH and guys will be begging to get back west!"

I can't imagine IAH being much worse than Palm Springs or Fresno in the summer, a little worse, but not much.

Scott

Absolutely NO comparison. I've spent enough time in both environments to know IAH is FAR worse as far as "uncomfortable" goes. Also, watch the WX Chan in the morning and see which cities have "Unhealthy" or "Dangerous" air quality ratings.

OTOH, Houston is a great city, and except for the weather and the traffic jams, not a bad place to live.

To say "It's the humidity" is now a cliché, but it's true. With 100 degrees you can sweat and kinda feel some relief. In Houston with 100% humidity sweating just makes it more humid!

I didn't mean to elude that IAH gets as hot as Palm Desert. I just meant to take the heat and add the humidity.

However, someone can check the official record, but I believe I did see 103'F once.

ATP required?

You don't need to have an ATP to upgrade. You can do it as part of the type ride.

Hmmm, I suppose management can do as it's needs to, but the bottom of the bid award memo say in Big BOLD letters:

ALL CAPTAIN CANDIDATES MUST BE THE QUALIFICATIONS, 2500 HOURS TOTAL TIME, ATP, 1ST CLASS MEDICAL, ETC.

So, we'll see what happens.

As far as the seat lock..... I really thought that for a new domicile, there was a 6 month domicile lock. But on second thought, I think it's a 6 month seat lock if you turn it down.

The ATP written is required for class... but you do not need to have the actual ATP certificate... I had it, but several others in my Bro upgrade class didn't... the difference in the ride is mostly paperwork I think.

I twas an FO with no ATP.

Now I am a Captain on the 120.

You must have the ATPw.

Good luck with the rest.

Later...

Houston and the weather...

I have been in Houston since 1996 going to school and working, working, as a firefighter / paramedic and a flighst instructor and corporate pilot. I have seen all the extremes here and know exactly what it is like. I grew up in the Dallas area and it is much, much drier there but, still hot. The humidty will zap you fast here. Wait until you try to run / jog in the 100 percent humidty -- it will be an experience that you will never forget... Your body quickly loses its ability to cool itself down by sweating and using evaporitive cooling... It does get miserable here. You do sweat from the time you hit the hot humidity until you get back into AC but, who cares, we are flying... Anyway, I know that I am looking forward to being in Salt Lake this summer! Take care all! Look forward to meeting you!

Hotwing...

Latest resources

Back