Skywest Newhire Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sstearns2

Just thought I'd let the Xjet/CAL guys know that Skywest published the bid for IAH today and we'll have more that enough pilots willing to transfer to IAH for the upgrade. Sorry, no newhire captains by the looks of things right now. There is also a surprising number of F/O's with IAH transfer bids in. Basically, if you goto class right now you'll probably have options beyond IAH.

Scott

ps - please don't turn this into a flame post, I just want to inform those who may be effected.

Of course if you look closely at the bid, you notice that over half the people awarded IAH captain slots are either still in their first year or just completed RJ transition, and should theoretically be seat locked. My guess is that SGU screwed up and doesn't realize it yet, or they relaxed the seat lock without telling anybody. Wouldn't be the first time. But I can't imagine letting a guy go to E120 upgrade less than 6 months after being a CRJ newhire....what a waste of money. I guess it'll be wait and see.

Last edited:
Seat lock, Commercial (NO ATP)

just completed RJ transition, and should theoretically be seat locked

Actually, there is no seat lock for new hires at SKW. But there is a one year seat lock for upgrade and six month lock at the new domicile. And once that six months is done, the new hire probably won't have enough seniority to leave IAH. So that person may be "stuck" at IAH for some time.

But according to my research (FAA Pilot Registry), 11 of those wanting to upgrade to the EMB CA position do not have ATPs. Whether or not Skywest will waive this requirement still waits to be seen.

Fred

You don't need to have an ATP to upgrade. You can do it as part of the type ride.

Not sure if there is a difference for a new domicile, but you can transfer to a different station every month if it works out that way.

There was a company email sent out to people to re-affirm their standing bids regarding the practice of listing 'any' in the domicile column. Not everybody responds to such email, and some were in class when that was sent out and probably just ddin't know about it. On the notice of the awarded bids there was a note at the bottom saying things might change. They probably will.

Whenever a new station opens up we see things like this. The people in SGU do the best they can with what information they have. Also crewmembers tend to change their mind a lot... not me though! lol

To those who will be joining us at Skywest from CoEx, welcome aboard!

>"One summer in IAH and guys will be begging to get back west!"

I can't imagine IAH being much worse than Palm Springs or Fresno in the summer, a little worse, but not much.

Scott

Oh yeah? Just take the same temperatures and add 90-100% humidity. It's lovely to need a shower again by the time you get to work.

IAH

I grew up in Houston and have traveled out west. I know it is hot out there (dry heat), but Houston during the summer can be brutal. It only gets up into the high 90's in the summer at most, but when you couple that with 95% humidity, you might as well go outside in a swimsuit because its about like swimming in bathwater. It's pretty nice though in the fall and winter.

jj

Latest resources

Back