• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Making Money?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if by "land of opportunity" you mean eliminating good paying career pilot jobs and replacing them with poverty wage slave shops degrading your very own profession while lining the pockets of management then I guess your correct.

While I agree with you Lear, mainline's 190 Rates however have poverty written all over them.

While I agree with you Lear, mainline's 190 Rates however have poverty written all over them.

yeah well in BK there is not much leverage to negotiate stellar rates, just happy they are on the property. little steps sometimes, i guess.

you seriously need to be smacked in the head with a brick don't you?

nah, just stating facts junior. you don't think major & regional management are scheming to do this? they'll give GL & company that BIG raise and they'll bend over on scope, again. watch.

if by "land of opportunity" you mean eliminating good paying career pilot jobs and replacing them with poverty wage slave shops degrading your very own profession while lining the pockets of management then I guess your correct.

If you fly for USAirways, that above comment is WAY too funny to even think about taking seriously!!!!

Hey pals, that just isn't the case. No 100 seaters for DCI or any regional flying for a mainline. Why is that? Mainlines are becoming profitable, and that means less bargaining power at the negotiating table.

And your history is a little off. You see, before 9/11, "mainlines" were profitable too. Isn't that amazing? One carrier's management specifically said "we'll give you more big, shiny, heavy jets if you just relax the scope. With all this money we're making, it'll be good for everybody"

And the pilots with their HJS (heavy jet syndrome) fell for it. The "promised" number of 777's never showed up.

Didn't work out so well, did it?

Now, 50 seaters are being parked, props are being parked

Is Colgan still taking deliveries of the Q400?

Not a lot of options, other than eventual downsizing and focusing on 2 or 3 core relationships, and hope the mainline pilots don't bargain regional contracts away.

Sadly, that chapter has yet to be written with CAL/UAL 70 seat debacle.

It's all what you negotiate, and guess what? Times are a lot better than before, and that can only mean bad things for certain groups. Are you one of them? Remember, you don't negotiate for your flying, mainline pilots do. It's all about a contract between the mainline pilots and mainline management. You are feed, and a contractor.

See the above statement. Pilots were all too happy to give up scope for wide bodies that NEVER came. Unfortunately, pilots have short memories. It's been proven over and over.

Last edited:
Now, 50 seaters are being parked, props are being parked,Bye Bye---General Lee

thats funny GL, youve been hawking that awhile now and hasn't proven factual, and at ASA we keep acquiring more of 'em, and 700s too, with more on the way. but keep hawking that sermon and maybe your bros will believe it

Those are still BK wages, and if you think they will stay that way forever, then you are mistaken. Mainline managements have a lot to make up for since the bankruptcies, and I bet the unions know that too. I can't wait to make the jump upwards. How about you? Have you enjoyed your years and years in the prop?

Those are still BK wages, and if you think they will stay that way forever, then you are mistaken. Mainline managements have a lot to make up for since the bankruptcies, and I bet the unions know that too. I can't wait to make the jump upwards. How about you? Have you enjoyed your years and years in the prop?

I am at that point of trying to decide that..... As for enjoying my 10 years at Piedmont. Hmmmm, Captain living in base..... Gotta House, New Truck, 529 for my Daughter, Take a few Vactions a year. Work with some of the best people around. You know what??? I have enjoyed it.
Then again I am not like a some. I don't care if I am in a boeing or a airbus. I just want time at home and make a good living. So far Piedmont has supplied that. Do I want more??? Sure, but there are sacrifices involved.
And to be honest I don't think those remaining 190s will be staying at US Airways.

Last edited:
It amazes me how many mainline pilots are oblivious to what we, at the regionals, make. The pay isn't as low as many assume. Proportionally, per seat, I think regional folks make more money than the mainline folks do. We make less because the airplanes are smaller. There gets to be a point where mainline pilots are going to have to step up to the plate and up the ante on their own. The days of making excuses as to the pay cuts and the regional prolifferation are over, in my book.

Hey pals, that just isn't the case. No 100 seaters for DCI or any regional flying for a mainline. Why is that? Mainlines are becoming profitable, and that means less bargaining power at the negotiating table. When things were down and Chap 11 was being thrown in our faces, then scope became more lax, and regionals gained more 76 seaters. Well, that period is over for SKW and other regionals. Now, 50 seaters are being parked, props are being parked, oil is still relatively high which is bad for regionals who now pay their own bills, new FAA hiring rules will make costs go up, new rest and fatigue rules will make regionals more inefficient, CAL and UAL MECs exerting pressure on UAL management to stop outsourcing, etc.... Yes, regionals are trying to buy each other to become "super regionals", but there will still be 4 or 5 big players, and they will go against each other to fight for any feed at the majors. If they try to go their own way a la Independence Air, they will die like them too. Not a lot of options, other than eventual downsizing and focusing on 2 or 3 core relationships, and hope the mainline pilots don't bargain regional contracts away. It's all what you negotiate, and guess what? Times are a lot better than before, and that can only mean bad things for certain groups. Are you one of them? Remember, you don't negotiate for your flying, mainline pilots do. It's all about a contract between the mainline pilots and mainline management. You are feed, and a contractor.

And Freebrd, you may want to re-read the article above. It's not as positive and you spin it.

But other than all of that, YOU GUYS ARE ALL FANTASTIC. REALLY, TOP NOTCH DUDES. HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING, and if you have time tonight, do something nice for someone or something, like throwing turkey scraps to that mountain cougar outside your house. Yes, it might not be smart, but that cougar is hungry too, and he'll be thankful no doubt! See ya!

Bye Bye---General Lee

You're funny. You really only have one post, it's just you've posted it 14,383 times. Soon to be 14,384.

eP.

Latest resources

Back