Skywest, It's time to unify

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SkyWstman

In the past year the quality of life has hit rock bottom. Talk to a guy on reserve or a line holder and you hear the same complaints over and over. So many items that need to be addressed. We are told that the schedules can't get better, there are not enough pilots so you have to work on your day off, You have to go to sim on your days off, We have to put that three and a half hour break in your schedules, etc.

Actualy, The truth is that they can but they won't. It is more cost effective to squander your time and resources than theirs. It is more cost effective to hire fewer pilots and extract every drop of life out of them and their marriages. It is more cost effective to have you fly bigger airplanes for the same wage. Eighteen months has come and gone. It's cost effective to psychologicaly pressure you to work when you are sick with that reliability report that shows up in red when you check in. They deserve an A+. Excellent job.

The problem is not them. It's us. Let's not play the victim anymore. Let's slap ourselves into the real world and take back what's been stolen. We don't have to let our a$$'s get kicked anymore. We need professional, powerful, representation. We need unity in the group and we need teeth. Let's deal ourselves an ACE.

If you want to know what rock bottom is, go to Great Lakes, etc..

SkyWstman said:
In the past year the quality of life has hit rock bottom. Talk to a guy on reserve or a line holder and you hear the same complaints over and over. So many items that need to be addressed. We are told that the schedules can't get better, there are not enough pilots so you have to work on your day off, You have to go to sim on your days off, We have to put that three and a half hour break in your schedules, etc.

Actualy, The truth is that they can but they won't. It is more cost effective to squander your time and resources than theirs. It is more cost effective to hire fewer pilots and extract every drop of life out of them and their marriages. It is more cost effective to have you fly bigger airplanes for the same wage. Eighteen months has come and gone. It's cost effective to psychologicaly pressure you to work when you are sick with that reliability report that shows up in red when you check in. They deserve an A+. Excellent job.

The problem is not them. It's us. Let's not play the victim anymore. Let's slap ourselves into the real world and take back what's been stolen. We don't have to let our a$$'s get kicked anymore. We need professional, powerful, representation. We need unity in the group and we need teeth. Let's deal ourselves an ACE.

Damm shame you don't have a union. You could always beg for mercy.... Glad to see that the aura of a big, shiny, new jet has worn off and you want to be paid fairly to fly it. To bad the damage has already been done....

yeah, damm shame.

remember, the 'mighty' union is no magic pill, no fix all for these things. after all, mesa is represented by the same union as ASA, as AirWis, etc. the problems facing any or all of these, are just different flavors of those facing SkyWest. everyone airline is full of people that claim that crew sched is screwing them, that management is scewing them, etc. everyone has their problems, and ALPA doesn't necessarily fix them.

having flown for 3 airlines now and having had experience with ALPA, it is my impression that a union is only as strong as your MEC. listen to the mesa bashing that goes on here, look at their contract-they're union. look at how AirWis was treated by U, their 'union brothers.' listen to all of the ASA rants on here about how they are treated-they're union. the list goes on and on.

ALPA is no magic pill. it is a tool that, if used well, can benefit the group it represents. in the end, though, we're all still at the mercy of our major partners (ask AirWilly)

good luck to all

So very true. A union might improve things-but there is no guarantee. Especially with ALPA. Better to have an in house union ala UPS. AlPA will galdly take your money though; results will very.

utahpilot said:
having flown for 3 airlines now and having had experience with ALPA, it is my impression that a union is only as strong as your MEC.

True, but a weak MEC is better than no union at all. At least it's a start.

If your airline has a weak MEC, it is because you have chosen for it to be that way. You elected the weak reps.

Life at XJT is great now thanks to ALPA. I also get cheap life insurance, loss of licence insurance, and disability insurance thanks to ALPA. If you ever have a medical problem ALPA aeromedical is the ONLY organization that I would want to talk to. Our ASAP program is better than any legal insurance program out there as far as protecting your certificates from FAA action (we have an ALPA guy that reviews all ASAP reports with the FAA and our ALPA guy can say no to any further investigation and it stops there). If you ever happen to have a problem, ALPA will be there to fight for you. If you ever have an accident or incident, the ALPA emergency 800 number is an invaluable resource in protecting you and your crew. QOL, cheaper insurance, ALPA aeromedical, ASAP, ALPA emergency response team, the list could go on and on. ALPA is not just about what your hourly rate is. I'll gladly pay the 1.95% for all that ALPA does for me. Not having ALPA would feel like driving my car without insurance.

Truckdriver,

I agree with all you said, except maybe QOL. that's where you need a strong MEC. Look at the Mesa contract, I don't see a good QOL there, and it was negotiated and approved using ALPA. I give props to XJT and Comair, for it seems they are sound, profitable and successful regionals where people are for the most part content.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back