• Watchers 14

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FR8dognit said:
Just curious...its probably been posted before but....does SkyWest pay you during training? Just wondering. Also What is first second third yr pay and upgrade look like. I am a coorporate guy looking for something more stable and long term. Do they discriminate against guys with 737 types? Thanks

No pay during training. CRJ is about 2 months. First year guarantee on the RJ is a whopping $14,265. E120 training is about 6 weeks.

GP

Mookie said:
Our duty times are based on part 135 on the emb side, so you can go to 120hrs if you want. If you do the math, a second year fo at $34ish with a 90 hr credit line (easy to do), including per diem of $1.6/hr, you make roughly the same as the emb captain on reserve making $48 at 75 hrs. the kicker is the rj fo will have at least 4 maybe 5 days off more per month. I was lucky and came over to the emb after I could hold a line, and did make significantly more than I did as an rj fo. the same principles will apply as well to emb-rj captain based on holding a line. ergo....quality of life for many guys is driving their reluctance to commute to the rj...

Mookie
Yeah, SKYW Pilot, so there! ;) I was not trying to put down the hard-working Bro pilots out there, just pointing out my personal perspective on the RJ vs. EMB debate and explain that many (reserve) EMB CA's make close to the same amount as busy RJ FO's. That's all. Nothing personal.

Start on the Bro and stay there!

The jet sucks, and you don't want to fly it -- especially the 700! Everybody who is anybody stays on the Brasilia. :p

vclean said:
100 hrs/month? Do Emb Ca's work that much (exceeding 121 limits), or are your trip and duty rigs that good?

With min daily pay guarantee and premium pay you can work a schedule that blocks 80 or so hours but pays in the 90's. Premium pay can equate to 8.5 hours of pay for a day with less than 6 hours block.

As someone else mentioned EMB's like other 121 t-props are subject to 135 style flight and duty time limitations. That can be a good thing for a guy that is hungry.

Being in the Bro for the first year is not that bad a deal. Less time in unpaid training, less time on reserve, and seatlock not always enforced.

In spite of everything else SKYW has consistently had fairly quick upgrade times compared to most other carriers. In theory you'll make more in the first 3-5 years at SKYW then you would elsewhere assuming the upgrade time stays short.

When i first got hired, i went straight into the jet from a cfi position. I asked camille if i can go into the bro and she said that they only are hiring for the jet and ground school is to start in four days. Without any 121 or turbine experience, i thought i was setting my self up for failure. It was a difficult road and still is to this day.

One thing is that whenever i see the bro guys in the crew lounge in sfo, they are smiling and generally happy. Whenever i see the rj guys in the same lounge, i see them pissed and upset about the contract (just my unprofessional, unlicensed psychological observation). I sometimes wish that i went to the bro because it seems like a fun plane to fly and the experience makes the rj transition easier.

I would say the good thing about the bro is that you avoid ord.

Mayor Daley

Careful what you say about THE MAYOR. You never know whos watching........

kj6991,

To answer your original question, between this date and the end of the year, the hiring plans call for 126 brasilia and 165 CRJ new hires.

Latest resources

Back