• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYWEST in LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All of our C-Checks are done in TUS and they signed a 10 year lease on the hanger. It's my understanding that they didn't build because the city wouldn't put up the money to build the infrastructure. You have to maintain the airplanes some where and you can't do it in LA or SFO; FAT and PSP don't have enough RJ's flowing through. TUS has 7 or more RONs and pilot bases usually coincide with MX bases. I'm not selling my house yet.

Some of the C-Checks are being in Clarksburg, WV.

It does make sense. I was in on a conversation just recently with a couple of checkairman (they seemed to know what they were talking about) that said that Skywest eventually wants to have "Superbases". SFO is the next big base to open and with several more closures except for FAT. SBA will be the last to close in California. Even SAN will go away. COS is safe but TUS is up in the air. (I wonder if TUS is dependent on whether Skywest gets US Air flying out of PHX). Skywest is transforming into a different kind of company. All this to take place over the next 2 years.

I'm talking about "making sense" from a standpoint of the fact that 1) They tried the LAX base in the past and closed it pretty quick like when it didn't work, and 2) It would be nice to see a little more loyalty to the long term employees that made a decision to stay at Skyw based on not commuting and and being able to fly out of the same area they chose to live!

I'm talking about "making sense" from a standpoint of the fact that 1) They tried the LAX base in the past and closed it pretty quick like when it didn't work, and 2) It would be nice to see a little more loyalty to the long term employees that made a decision to stay at Skyw based on not commuting and and being able to fly out of the same area they chose to live!

So if one of our major partners chooses to reduce frequency, reduce RON aircraft or stop flying to MRY at all, OO should just foot the bill and keep flying there at risk just for loyalty?

There are some facets of outstation domiciles that a regional just can't control.

For a reality check--just talk to any ConEX or ASA pilot that was based in LAX. You and I are expendable and our preferences as to where we live are not a factor for the Marketing department that ultimately makes those decisions. Therefore, you can live in a major base (SLC) with some degree of stability, or you can be nomadic, but live where you want. It's really always been that way in this industry.

So if one of our major partners chooses to reduce frequency, reduce RON aircraft or stop flying to MRY at all, OO should just foot the bill and keep flying there at risk just for loyalty?

There are some facets of outstation domiciles that a regional just can't control.

I didn't say that at all...My response was to Erlanger's comment that they want to close more domiciles and go to superbases in LAX and SFO.

For a reality check--just talk to any ConEX or ASA pilot that was based in LAX. You and I are expendable and our preferences as to where we live are not a factor for the Marketing department that ultimately makes those decisions. Therefore, you can live in a major base (SLC) with some degree of stability, or you can be nomadic, but live where you want. It's really always been that way in this industry.

For a reality check-- If they close all the outer domiciles, they still will have the airplanes overnighting in those out stations(former bases) and will end up paying for hotels there, instead of LAX. One of the reasons they made SAN a co-domicile with CLD was because we were overnighting there all the time anyway and the company was paying for hotel rooms that really weren't needed(a lot of crews ended up going home).

If they can keep SGU as the company headquarters(in the middle of nowhere), they could certainly continue to keep open the domiciles around that have been with the company just as long...

Last edited:
For a reality check-- If they close all the outer domiciles, they still will have the airplanes overnighting in those out stations(former bases) and will end up paying for hotels there, instead of LAX. One of the reasons they made SAN a co-domicile with CLD was because we were overnighting there all the time anyway and the company was paying for hotel rooms that really weren't needed(a lot of crews ended up going home).

If they can keep SGU as the company headquarters(in the middle of nowhere), they could certainly continue to keep open the domiciles around that have been with the company just as long...

Why should 96% of the pilots pay the price of bad lines and schedules just so a few can live in small bases. A few big bases will make better more efficient lines. I VOTE TO CLOSE THE TINY BASES AND MAKE LAX BIGGER.

Latest resources

Back