Just added up costs on "supplies" order form for first day of class next week:

$ 100.81 CRJ Jepps
120.00 2 pairs of pants
75.80 4 white shirts
10.00 1 tie
15.00 1 belt
9.75 Epaulettes
160.00 Uniform black jacket

Total cost of getting to fly a pressurized metal tube 6 miles above the earth for SkyWest: $491.36
Total cost of not having to spend the rest of my life in a cubicle or selling fruit on the side of the road: PRICELESS.

IMO, look at what a M.D. or J.D. spends on a degree and training and what a potential employer will spend to train them for what they do. The training cost for a jet job has to near the $20 to $30k mark for most airlines. Besides, what's $491.36 when I'm going to make that much every two weeks!!

If anyone gets in this career for the money, they need to up their dosage of Zoloft before jumping in the pool. We get into the career so we don't have to have real jobs that just plain suck a$$.

Whats even more crazy is how many lawyers leave there job for a $20,000 a year regional job and are happy as clams.

just wondering, do you only pay for the jepp subscription once, or do you have to pay every couple of months to renew the subscription. thanks

TURKISH said:
Your immaturity is only surpassed by your ignorance. Get a family, mortgage, ( well, a mortgage if your spouse has a good , or as you put it "suck a$$" job), and other life needs, and you will be singing a different tune. Just so you know, there are other jobs that don't require the cubicle or the TPS report. Go talked to a furlouged AA, Delta, or United guy and see what really sucks. It is guys like you who think that making $491.36 every two weeks for flying a shiny tube around is a great job. Your argument about not getting into this for money is just the types of things that management loves to hear. Get J.O.'s dlck out of your mouth and realize that those M.D.'s and J.D.'s make a shltload more than 19 bucks an hour when they get out of school, not to mention their long term earning power is MUCH higher with those suck a$$ jobs. Pilots should only be able to get hired at airlines when they are either 30 or have a family to support. That would stop this crap about not getting into flying for money. Pilots provide a highly skilled technical service and should be paid accordingly, not just happy to be there. You only talk because you do not know any better.

Here, here! Oh such young neophytes- if they only realize how ignorant about the long haul they are, they might shut their pie holes. It never ceases to amaze me how myopic a view point some of these guys have of their career. Instant gratification of the "I want it now" generation is very detrimental to long term satisfaction. I believe Veruca Salt is their poster child. "But I want to fly a shiny jet now... I don't care how much they pay me. It's more than I made as a flight instructor." ... Idiots.

TURKISH said:
Your immaturity is only surpassed by your ignorance. Get a family, mortgage, ( well, a mortgage if your spouse has a good , or as you put it "suck a$$" job), and other life needs, and you will be singing a different tune. Just so you know, there are other jobs that don't require the cubicle or the TPS report. Go talked to a furlouged AA, Delta, or United guy and see what really sucks. It is guys like you who think that making $491.36 every two weeks for flying a shiny tube around is a great job. Your argument about not getting into this for money is just the types of things that management loves to hear. Get J.O.'s dlck out of your mouth and realize that those M.D.'s and J.D.'s make a shltload more than 19 bucks an hour when they get out of school, not to mention their long term earning power is MUCH higher with those suck a$$ jobs. Pilots should only be able to get hired at airlines when they are either 30 or have a family to support. That would stop this crap about not getting into flying for money. Pilots provide a highly skilled technical service and should be paid accordingly, not just happy to be there. You only talk because you do not know any better.

Who said anything about making 491.36 every two weeks?? We said thats what it would cost out of pocket to purchase uniforms and initial Jepp plates! Why dont you READ before you reply! And second, how much money did you earn when you had around 1000 hours to get where you are now?? Its not going to change either unless every stinkin pilot goes on strike, but that isnt going to happen either so you do what you need to do and get the time where you are offered a good job! Whats good? Thats up to you? Damn! Its another stepping stone! Look beyond the regionals to your ultimate goal and QOL and $$$ can only get better!

My Mom just lost over half her pension with UAL, so I may be "immature" about life as an airline pilot, but definitely not ignorant. Life is about doing what you love and trying to balance that with everything else. I'm sorry for anyone that struggles financially doing an extremely complex and skillful task, when they should be compensated fairly. I've been watching in awe, just like everyone else, the cost of living rise in the midst of our profession wage declining. I wish like everyone else 9/11 and $60 barrels of oil didn't happen. Having said that, I deeply respect the plight of the average joe pilot who's trying to support a family and a morgtage and feels slighted because he/she doesn't make what they deserve. However, I don't believe that I have a "d*ck in my mouth" just because I have an opinion about something. Opinions are like as*hols, everyones got one; mine may not be like yours, but I won't trash talk about it.

Also, how would limiting the new-hire age to 30 solve your problem? So then management will hand over the $$ that you deserve just because you're more needy now? That would stop this crap about "not getting into flying for the money?" If you truly care about your family, get out of the airlines and get a job you can pay your morgtage and support your family with and get to be home more to boot. As for me, I'm proud I get to take people around the world with such precision and safety, see the most awesome sights, and get paid to do it. I didn't get my degree and ratings from the back of a Popular Mechanics you know. I've worked hard to get where I am, but not nearly as hard as most people have had to work historically speaking. So, yes, I am happy to be here.

Besides, I've watched my Dad teach in a public school for over 30 years and have the same problem with not enough pay for the education and training he has. Would you give the same advice you gave me to a teacher who just finished a Masters Degeree to make $29,000 a year? Most teachers are in it for what they love to do, not for the money, even though they should be compensated fairly for what they do. I'm sure the voters would love to hear fresh young teachers say, "just happy to be here!"....

Latest resources

Back