• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Had Made Hostile $3.50/Share Bid For ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hate to say it men but with CAL signing a CPA agreement with SKYW and putting you on notice about the reduction of flying it would appear that either you will be doing the flying under SKYW or they will do it themselves. First I have nothing but respect for you guys, I commute on you all the time and have eight friends that work there, however I think that three separate companies under SKYW is better than you all looking for new jobs. Times are changing and no one get's financing anymore in bankruptcy. I think RP and SKYW will be the two major regional's in a few years, Mesa gone, Comair getting screws put to them by DAL, and who knows if anything will ever happen to eagle.

L.A. Pilot, just curious...what fact do you have ASA airplanes went to Skywest? is this what your management kept telling you and all ASA pilots came to believe? or do you have a copy of the Bombardier order sheet. I am from YUL with alot of freinds who work for Bombardier. Until this day, i have not seen any switch from ASA to OO....please IM me cause I want to see firsthand where you guys got this info from...any ASA pilots, also please feel free.

You haven't been at OO very long. Yes, at the end of 2006, 4 70 seat airframes transferred from the ASA property to SkyWest's. This was about a year after the buyout and the strongarming of the Company for ASA to take a paycut. ASA refused, the airframes were transferred, and it cost SkyWest INC. over a million dollars. It's in the 2006 Annual Report.

Trojan

Gentlemen,

You keep forgetting that CAL left the door open for XJT to come to terms with them if the SKW deal does not happen. The letter in part says, "...absent our entering into a new CPA with savings of the magnitude we have negotiated with SkyWest, we currently expect to deliver to ExpressJet on June 28, 2008, a notice to withdraw 51 of the existing 205 Covered Aircraft from the current CPA, beginning in December 2009." If XJT and CAL sign a CPA "with savings of the magnitude they[sic] have negotiated with SkyWest", there wont be any withdrawal of aircraft.

This is a negotiating tactic for CAL. They win either way because either SKW gives them the savings or an independent XJT does. They don't care who they get their savings from.

Once again, this is not to say that a SKW buyout may not be good for everyone.

That's not the way I remember it and I was there. I saw it first hand - you got second hand info. I do remember that the class was kept and trained while other airlines cancelled classes in progress and sent folks home.

I know that you were one of the instructors in that class and that it was not you who made that statement. Were you actually in the room at the time? Everyone in the room was quite shocked and someone responded that "it will matter to you if you plan on flying anywhere anytime soon". If you were indeed in the room at the time, can you tell me how you remember it? I was using it to illustrate the mentality some have-- that the world revolves around them and no one else matters. The instructor wasn't really thinking about how poorly he came across saying that, but ended up realizing it later and apologizing.

Sure SkyWest didn't cancel the class, but it wasn't out of benevolence. They needed pilots to support the RJ growth that came at the expense of Delta and United mainline jobs. They even ran another class in Oct '01, followed by many more.

I remember no such references so perhaps I was out of the room.

As far as needing pilots, I doubt that was the case as we were carrying reserve levels closer to 45% for months when we preferred something like 20%. United cut back our schedule significantly when flying resumed causing the bulge in reserve staffing.

The Oct class was probably CRJ transition and upgrade with no new hires (don't remember but it seems like it was some time before we hired again - current SKYW pilots could check that to see if there was a big gap in seniority dates around that time).

The comments I remember from the class that week were astonishment that they were not sent packing en masse.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back