• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Had Made Hostile $3.50/Share Bid For ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It wouldn't put any ASA guys on the street. We have a no furlough clause, plus scope protection. Oh, and our scope protection protects against a whipsaw from any SkyWest, Inc. entity too.
(nothing).

We could furlough up to 160 pilots at this point and not touch the no furlough protection....In addition, Jerry could transfer up 4 700s a year while slowly retiring 200s...

sweptback said:
Jerry wants the holding company letter gone because he knows that SkyWest Airlines would be the entity that would suffer by keeping it in place, not anybody else. He's just looking out for the home team.

If this deal goes down (and I bet it will), SkyWest pilots will be wishing they had a seat at the table where the decisions are made, rather than just being observers.

Jerry won't go thru with the deal if it is going to harm the Skywest pilots....They have something better than "ALPA scope"...They have Jerry....

He is a little bit smarter than ALPA....and he usually gets what he wants.....

Jerry and CAL are holding a gun to the head of XJT....Either they play ball or they go down the ACA/Indy path....

Scope sections are pretty meaningless for those of us in the "fee for departure" whipsaw game....

How about a single list sweptback? It's clear that Skywest and Republic are setting up to be the two main players at the regional end....Republic has their single list....

Last edited:
The reason SkyWest wants Expressjet is because they can get a branded flying operating certificate and a computer reservations system etc. etc. It takes a shiz ton of money to establish those things and right now Skywest can get them for pennies on the dollar for future use.
I just gotta say that's the last reason to buy Expressjet. Ever tried to buy a ticket on Expressjet.com that connects anywhere? Pretty basic computer operation. Well Expressjet.com can't do it. Branded? NO! Not a reason to buy XJT.

The reason SkyWest wants Expressjet is because they can get a branded flying operating certificate and a computer reservations system etc. etc. It takes a shiz ton of money to establish those things and right now Skywest can get them for pennies on the dollar for future use.

JA has said that SkyWest wont try it's own thing.. "That time has come and gone, and wont be back" he said

SkyWest loves 20 year fee for departure contracts!!

Jerry won't go thru with the deal if it is going to harm the Skywest pilots....They have something better than "ALPA scope"...They have Jerry....

He is a little bit smarter than ALPA....and he usually gets what he wants.....

Jerry and CAL are holding a gun to the head of XJT....Either they play ball or they go down the ACA/Indy path....

Thx JoeMerchant

That's the greatest anit-APLA thing I've ever heard.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/jaydub919/ALPAPunchDogvskool-aidman.jpg

Just passed training, eh?

If branded goes away that puts about 650 of r pilots on the street, 325 fa's and good knows how many ground personel how is that a good thing?

Dude, you totally don't get it. Branded flying is basically already gone, one way or another--either now, or in bankruptcy restructuring. It's your choice. I would think that being aquired by a strong parent company would be preferable, but that's just me.

I mean, if it's a question of a furlough, wouldn't it be better to have recall rights than to be totally out of a job and having to start at the bottom somewhere else? I mean, that's easy for me to say from where I sit, but the point remains.

To be honest, flynryan, it sounds like you are just regurgitating the ALPA dogma you've heard from more senior guys. Do yourself a favor and and investigate these issues for yourself. I've flown with enough CAs to know that there's some real crackpot schemes out there.

Best of luck,
-Goose

Amen!!! Those are MY dispatchers!!

-Goose

Exactly. JA secured the gate space and the guarantee of 80% of the DCI flying in ATL before buying ASA. Now, he wants to know he has a deal with Continental before buying another huge liability. You would think the ExpressJet family would find this to be a good thing. It's in no way a sneak tactic.

Our scope and merger/acquisition language was not written to simply protect XJT pilots. If you read it the ultimate intent when all is said and done is to have an integrated seniority list, and not release control of our aircraft or flying until such an integration is complete. That's not how SKW prefers to operate. There is no way SKW gets relief from these sections of our CBA. I can't speak for others here, but I would rather see a slow death for XJT than be a link in Jerry's whipsaw chaingang for the next ? years. No fugging way. You want to buy the orange, you get the peel too.

Last edited:
Our scope and merger/acquisition language was not written to simply protect XJT pilots. If you read it the ultimate intent when all is said and done is to have an integrated seniority list, and not release control of our aircraft or flying until such an integration is complete. That's not how SKW prefers to operate. There is no way SKW gets relief from these sections of our CBA. I can't speak for others here, but I would rather see a slow death for XJT than be a link in Jerry's whipsaw chaingang for the next ? years. No fugging way. You want to buy the orange, you get the peel too.
i don't want to sound like a d!ck, but good luck with that, your willing to lose your job and your lifestyle and the ability to support your family over a seniority number? wow you need to get a grip on reality. don't be pissed at jerry and skywest, you need to be pissed at your management for putting you all in this situation in the first place. your company getting bought by skywest is probably the best thing to happen for you all. it secures your job, whether you still have a xjet identification tag or a skywest one. you have a job with a good company. we must all face facts, if the big wigs want this to happen it will, with you or without you.

XJT is not insolvent, XJT is not in a position to shut down towmorrow, XJT does not need to be saved. That may all change in the next few months but the same could be said about other airlines out there. This offer was made 3 weeks ago, the answer given yesterday. Will a deal eventually be made? Possibly, but you can bet it will have to be for a lot more than just the amount of cash XJT has in the bank.

As for scope relief, let's just see what our union negotiates. At this point there hasn't been any contact from SKW to our MEC. You would think JA is under the impression that management can unilaterally void out parts of the CBA. Why would he think that?

Latest resources

Back