• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest getting closer to furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Voluntary Leave of Absence was announced today.

Some of the highlights:
  • Leave lengths of 1 to 12 months
  • Longer call back provisions (30 days, 90 days or none depending on leave length)
  • Company paid portion of medical and dental insurance
  • Domicile protection
  • Full travel benefits (as allowed by our travel agreements)
  • Seniority and longevity continue to accrue

So I highly doubt this program would have been offered with benefits if SAPA wouldn't have continued to hound management...

Some of the highlights:
  • Longer call back provisions (30 days, 90 days or none depending on leave length)
  • Domicile protection

That actually sounds pretty good. I know some people are probably disappointed to not be able to get full medical, but better then nothing I guess...

Some of the highlights:
  • Domicile protection

Wow... exactly what ALPA negotiated for ASA pilots several months ago! What a shocker.

flyerdan....if you believe that than...

Without Sapa management would have 0 accountability. The reason management isn't talking about furloughs is because they DON'T have to. Klen has said that come fall they WILL furlough unless we get a large increase in flying or enough people take a LOA. Without SAPA, managment would have already passed the LOA without any benifits and no significant time frame. If this was the case NO ONE would take this crappy LOA and we would furlough even more folks.

It is people like you that make SAPA weak. Why in the world would managment take SAPA serious when we pilots don't show solidarity. Your attitude makes SAPA weak which inturn has a direct impact on your QOL.

What makes SAPA weak is that its not an organization recognized by the National Mediation Board and therefore cannot legally represent its supposed constituents. It has no power to negotiate or any real leverage either since they don't have the RLA to negotiate under. In other words, there is no "real good faith bargaining." And therefore, almost by definition, is just a management tool. I don't blame the management. They are doing what is prudent for their stockholders.

So I highly doubt this program would have been offered with benefits if SAPA wouldn't have continued to hound management...

Is that not exactly what the ASA MEC negotiated for their pilots?

Last edited:
it is...but that doesn't mean they have to give it to the non-union skywest. They were not planing on allowing benefits and could have easily said pound dirt.

I'm not saying SAPA has anything to stand up against management with. Obviously they can do what ever they want. All I am saying is most likely, without SAPA staying on their azz, we would have gotten a crappy deal.

it is...but that doesn't mean they have to give it to the non-union skywest. They were not planing on allowing benefits and could have easily said pound dirt.

I'm not saying SAPA has anything to stand up against management with. Obviously they can do what ever they want. All I am saying is most likely, without SAPA staying on their azz, we would have gotten a crappy deal.
SAPA would love you to believe that and spread it, but the ugly truth is your company knows if they did say pound dirt the pilots would grumble union. By people believing that SAPA did anything the company and SAPA(company) both look good, and that is what the company wants.

Latest resources

Back