• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest earning call notes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is it at all funny to make over $100,000/year, have 14+ days off a month and get 4 weeks of vacation that (until now) is more like 12-13 weeks/year? I just don't get that? That is better than probably 80% of all jobs in America. There are many, many people that are completely and totally satisfied with their job at a Regional Airline - as there are flying King Airs for Charter or Air Ambulance, or even Navajo's flying checks or auto parts. Delta is NOT the be all, end all for job satisfaction in the world. In fact, there are hundreds of pilots at ASA with 16+ years, and more like them at places like Eagle, Republic, ExpressJet, Skywest, etc. When I worked at Piedmont, there were MANY pilots there over 20 years, and were perfectly happy in their lives flying a small Turboprop around for 100K.
Totally agree man... I cant see myself sittin RSV on holidays, weekends while I miss my kids birthdays and chirstmas morning! Alot more to life than being away from family for 2 weeks at a time... I myself will never leave the regionals... I enjoy my senority, I have a small business and make an extra $75,000 a year on top of my flying salary and I live very comfortable... But, some people are just obsessed about being that Delta,Fedex... etc Capt and not having a good QOL, just to say that they are a Capt with one of those. Nothing wrong with that though, everybody is different..

Totally agree man... I cant see myself sittin RSV on holidays, weekends while I miss my kids birthdays and chirstmas morning! Alot more to life than being away from family for 2 weeks at a time... I myself will never leave the regionals... I enjoy my senority, I have a small business and make an extra $75,000 a year on top of my flying salary and I live very comfortable... But, some people are just obsessed about being that Delta,Fedex... etc Capt and not having a good QOL, just to say that they are a Capt with one of those. Nothing wrong with that though, everybody is different..

I sure do hope that works out for you and everyone else. In this industry flying for someone else does not always work out. (Ex. Mesa).

If you're going to throw the moron label around, you would think you would want to extra-double-check a few things.
Why?
After having several successful careers, and being out of college for 25 years, my 2 finger typing skillz can't quite keep up with my lightning fast brain. If you got the message, then that was enough accuracy. Spelling is for bees.
Sorry
PBR

I sure do hope that works out for you and everyone else. In this industry flying for someone else does not always work out. (Ex. Mesa).

In this industry, flying for the biggest airline in the world does not always work out.

Every single one of us is as prone as everyone else to job/career ending catastrophe raising it's head out of nowhere.

<shrug>

Not to disparage those who view the major airline job as a brass ring of job security...by all means, go for it if that's what you want.

What happens? Does the CBA contract get re-negotiated/agreed to? Does one group's existing contract get applied to the entire new group?

How do these things work?

I would expect that this new pilot group would have to elect it's own MEC and ratify it's own labor contract, right?

A new joint contract must be negotiated, TAd by both MECs, and ratified by all the pilots. The MEC will be elected after SLI.

No, because at the time SkyWest Airlines, not ASA, was looking at taking over the XJT aircraft. Now, its ASA this time and NOT SkyWest Airlines.

Let me break it down for you. SkyWest, Inc. owns two airlines. One is named Atlantic Southeast. The other is named SkyWest Airlines. Atlantic Southeast and SkyWest Airlines are owned by the same company but have nothing at all to do with one another. SkyWest, Inc. has agreed to buy ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. in exchange for merging with Atlantic Southeast. SkyWest Airlines will continue to have as much to do with Atlantic Southeast after this transaction as it did before. Which is nothing. Not one iota.

I think this will end up in a federal court somewhere or at least on the lap of an arbitrator to decide. Its too bad that the boss' first act towards his new employees is to disrespect the letter and clear intent of their hard fought legally binding contract.

Regarding the XJT scope, we did hear JA speak in the earnings call. He did say that thy have talked with all Labor groups leading up to this.

So, really everyone needs to wait and see what the ALPA leadership have to say about all of this.

No telling what they have tenatively agreed to.

Talking to all labor groups and getting commitments or assurances from them are two different things and dont necesarily mean anything was tentatively agreed to. In fact, the XJT MECs email made it seem as though they were looking at all options and consulting with ALPA and independent attorneys. Doesn't sound like anything regarding integrating just ASA/XJT has been agreed to by our MEC.

XJT is being merged with ASA Holdings not SkyWest Holdings. Therefore SkyWest Airlines doesn't have to merge with XJT. It smells fishy but this apparently has already been pre-approved by Union leaders. The merger will only be ASA and XJT. This loophole was created after SkyWest failed on their first attempt.

This has not been approved by the XJT MEC. They have said they are currently consulting with attorneys. There has been no loophole created since the failed Skywest purchase of XJT. That language in our contract has not changed at all.

Doesn't the buying airline (ASA), have more leverage in how lists are integrated? Hasn't this been the case historically?

In no particular order or weight, this is the merger policy. The two MCs will decide what is fair and equitable.

status and catergory
longevity
career expectations

It's stupid to come to the table with only one option. Like the USAir East pilots only wanting DOH with NO negotiating. If this 1List issue goes to arbitration and they lose, will the XJT MEC whine like the USAPA pilots?

Be willing to negotiate. It could work in ASA/XJT's favor. But, no one never know unless your MEC is willing to sit at a table without being thick headed.

(BTW, I want 1List, but don't want you guys to F yourselves in the process)

I don't see a problem with trying to get our contract enforced while negotiating a joint contract. I'm sure the XJT MEC will do everything it legally can to require SKW to abide by our contract. There is nothing wrong with that and I would personally think that if they don't, they would be violating their fiduciary responsibility to their constituents.

Xjunk is being salvaged (acquired) by SkyWest Inc. SkyWest Airlines is the airline that made it all possible years ago. ASA and SkyWest are the airlines of Inc. Xjunk is now part of a bigger better deal. By barnstorming in with your demands, does sound a wee bit like an us air eastee. Inc. Will prevail in this not xjunk.
One list could work but not with the xjunk attitude.

Attitude? You mean the attitude of wanting to be treated with dignity and respect by respecting the letter and clear intent of our contract?

Leverage for what? As if we have any control over how these companies are ran, purchased, merged, etc. We hope to fly for a living without getting furloughed, getting paid solid wages, and good benefits.

No, ALPA does not and does not want to control how their companies are run, purchase, or merged. They just want to protect their members from those actions. But ALPA does have leverage, not just hope, in getting paid solid wages and good benefits. That is one of the primary reasons for ALPA.

Well, the releases say they were: maybe you are just not aware that they have been approached and agreed?? Are you the MEC Chairman? If not, then I guess you were not in that meeting :)

The email from the MEC made it pretty clear that they are consulting attorneys. I'm sure SKW informed the MECs of the facts as they see them and what they hope for.

They spent 113 million to secure the opportunity to make millions more by securing some of the sweet UAL/CAL tea. My question is in fact quite simple, given that scope language TODAY prohibits XJET from flying anything larger than 50 seats, how will that reflect on the 700/900 airframes at ASA if they become one certificate with XJET? The re-fleeting question is somewhat rhetorical, does SKYW have a deal in place for the broaching of the CAL scope, or is the re-fleeting merely consist of transferring the 700/900s off the ASA certificate to another certificate, SKYW or some other certificate being purchasre/acquired in the future. I guess my point is we are sitting at the poker table, blindfolded, drinking kool aid spiked with Everclear, holding our cards backwards, while Jerry and Brad sit at the table smoking cigars and getting BJs from our sisters. Point is watch your 6, the smoke and mirrors crowd in SGU have been very busy. My bet is there will be another ATL domicile for a Skyw Inc. certificate by 12/11. The upside for all concerned is very minimal with a very large potential for disaster(pilot wise).
Good Luck we are gonna need it.
PBR

Its not the XJT scope that prevents larger aircraft. But I do have concern that the replacement aircraft and/or the growth aircraft (whether they or 50 seaters or bigger) may be whipsawd against us using Skywest Airlines as the threat of where they will end up.

One thing to keep in mind: if this is a real priority for both the ASA and XJet MECs, we are both fortunate to have our contracts up for renegotiation this year. Even though the current XJet contract might not be able to force the issue, firm contract negotiation by the newly combined group could possibly get a three-way merger done. We as pilots would have to let our MECs know this is a priority, though.

Excellent point. It may be that JA knows that he has a 50/50 chance at this and figures if he wins, great. XJT/ASA will have to spend capital at the bargaining table to get one list. If he loses, well it didn't hurt to try, right?

Oh snap,
Lets think like
SKYW Inc. contract is up lets negotiate.
Pilots: We want......
Inc.- No
Pilots-we will strike
Inc-you gotta do what you gotta do
Pilots-ok we strike
Inc- Brad go ahead and chain the doors shut, call Delta and UAL/CAL Hdqtrs, let them know all the excess 50 seaters are parked, call the BK court and file, and call the lessors and let them know where their future beer cans are parked.
The system is flushed of excess 50 seat A/C, and the Majors have a fresh pool of newhire applicants for their expansion. Inc will pick up a 250M thank you payment from concerned parties, and throw a RV party at the '11 RNO Air Races, Genny Lee will cream his brazillian banana hammock, and the world will be at peace.
PBR

You forgot the part about transferring aircraft over to Skywest airlines if this were to ever happen. At the very least, they would hang it over our heads as whipsaw to extract whatever it is they want that day.

Which is the whole point of getting one list. SKW is just trying to keep as much leverage, just in case hoping they never have to use it. Lets not set this antagonistic situation to begin with and all work towards one list.

Latest resources

Back