• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Dork? YOU decide...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
McPickles said it right. Just to add, sharing anothers view, my problem with this type of article is that for every one of these stories, they better be interviewing a Mesaba pilot, Independence pilot, or most pilots who've been in this career for awhile. Ask them about living the dream. You've got articles up the ying yang in Flying magazine also from various flight training schools and Kit Darby pronouncing thousands of pilots hired. Similar to that newspaper article, just what we need, hundreds more coming into this profession thinking it's an rosy ride to the perfect, dreamy job. Not saying that someone shouldn't pursue this profession if this is really what they want to do. However perspective career pilots need to understand the downsides and realize everything is not rosey. I once flew with a guy I would care not to fly with again. Older crusty type guy who is well known at Xjt to avoid. However, with all that said, one comment he made was very senseful. Along these lines, "The problem is there are too many flight training schools and universities that are constantly trying to chug out more students."

jumppilot03 said:
Pretty sweet clip-on tie

HEY !!! There's nothing wrong with clip-on ties. I could start a clip-on tie museum. Wanna buy a few slightly used ones ?

Just flew with him the other day...he's actually a pretty cool guy.

relaaaaax everyone,

Mookie

I agree with the others, cut the guy some slack.A lot of us do some stupid $hit to get our first airline job (take a job with crappy pay, PFT, get a worthless degree in aviation). It's easy to do when you don't have someone giving you advice or better yet giving you $hitty advice. We live and learn. I used to say that I would fly for $1 an hour back when I was all excited about it. Would I do that now? Heck no. You grow up. The guy is young and excited....nothing wrong with that.

mckpickle,

I am not arguing the reality of the cutbacks and deteriorating QOL pilots have to deal with in today's airline industry. It's just something we have to deal with (or get out). The airline industry is no different than my classmates' computer science industry where there's always the threat of someone else who can do it for cheaper and sometimes even better. At the same time, I've never heard a negative comment come from professors or computer science students about their Asian counterparts.

propjob27 said:
Are we talking about work, or the Eagle Scouts?
Look at your profile and now look at mine. It's work for you, but I'm still a "dork" like the Skywest first officer in the article. One day it will be "work" for me... for now let me have pilot mentors and airline captains I can look up to.

mckpickle,

I forgot to respond to your safety issue.

I can understand cutbacks in pay and QOL, but there should never be room for a compromise in safety to save a few dollars. If that's why arilines have unions then I can't argue with that.

I dont' see anything wrong with it. He's proud of his accopmlishments as would I. Your probably just jealous. Chill out and have some professionalism.

BYUFlyr said:
Why can't mom and dad be proud of their son?

...because being an airline pilot is nothing to be proud of anymore.

GP

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back