SkyWest Dork? YOU decide...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
propjob27 said:
Thank god he "successfully completed the written portion of the Airline Transport Pilot examination...", that's some bad-a s s shi t.
And what would they say if the article was written about you? written and flight portions? Give the guy a break, he didn't write the article

viper548 said:
Give the guy a break, he didn't write the article

Props to the writer for actually writing an accurate aviation-related article. You don't see that too often.

~wheelsup

BYUFlyr said:
since I played with my Fisher Price 727.

Didn't that thing kick ass? It had that auger system to move containers to the back of the airplane - heck, FedEx's aircraft don't have that, they use the armstrong method. Little overwing fuel ports, that thing was fantastic.

BYUFlyr said:
What the heck is the problem? Why are airline pilots the most bitter group of professionals in today's market? Why can't someone be proud of reaching his dream? I soloed on my 16th birthday and it was a big deal for me (no, mommy and daddy did not pay for any of it) and the day I get an airline job I will make a HUGE deal! Call it "shinny jet" whatever, but what's the problem with me being proud of fulfilling a dream I've had since I played with my Fisher Price 727.

Why can't mom and dad be proud of their son? Where I grew up most son's who get their picture in the paper are either 6 feet under or behind bars. You're dang right my mom has every right to put her son's picture in the paper when he reaches a milestone in his career. Full-page and get copies to distribute around the neghborhood too!

I got an airticle in the paper a couple of years ago for some things I did in Iraq and I wouldn't be any less proud of having an article in the paper for reaching a childhood dream (regardless of your disgruntled opinion on the aviation industry).

I hope I never have to look up to you as a new first-officer at XYZ airline!

You honestly ask a good question. The reason is because we spend every day dealing with weather/MX/ATC/PAX/ etc etc etc. Not a big deal but stressfull at times. You expect that. The problem is the other thing that consumes us. It's not knowing if you are going to have a job in 6 months, a year 5 years. We bust our butts to be safe and be good at what we do, then someone else (insert MESA here) comes along and is willing to do our jobs for less so that they can take our flying away and give it to them. It really wears on you after awhile. And it's not hard to hate guys who are willing to do everything at a cheaper price so they can basically get your job. It doesn't matter how good we are at what we do. The only thing that matters is how cheap some other bottom feeder is willing to work for.

Good job to the poor kid, but I'm sure he missed out and will continue to miss out on a lot of good stuff that college age kids do. I have a friend working at a regional who is 21 and he always asks me, "Now what?" He thought instructing was hard work but more fun.

mckpickle said:
We bust our butts to be safe and be good at what we do, then someone else (insert MESA here) comes along and is willing to do our jobs for less so that they can take our flying away and give it to them.

That really sucks, but how is that any different than any other industry operating under a free market? Fortunately and unfortunately airlines are no longer regulated and you are subject to the effects of capitalism (supply and demand, etc.). There are more jobs for pilots than ever before (good for me); however, since there was an increase in the supply of pilots to match and supercede the avialabilty of jobs it has been at the expense of pilots who had jobs before deregulation (bad for you, maybe). There is nothing magical or evil about that, imho. It's just how it is.

It's the hard truth.... Until you can figure out how to get someone from A to B by doing it different and "better" than MESA, the cheapest pricing will always win. There are no more barriers to entry in the airline industry. In the eyes of the consumer, the end product is the same.

We ALL behave that same way, believe it or not. We are all self-interested individuals and we always (myself included) want more; that's why I shop at Walmart. If I opened a store with the same services as Walmart and offered them at a less price I would be rich and Walmart employees would all be as disgruntled as airline pilots.

So when is enough enough? At what point to we say, "ya know what, for the job we do we are not going to accept 56K a year"? Thats whats frustrating is that most of us are in a union. We build upon what others have done to secure a decent living. Not to mention safety. What some carriers do out there and how they treat their employees is just not safe.

I remember when I was instructing. My goal was to work for FEDEX because at the time they were non union. I though.....I don't wanna deal with all that crap. I just wanna go to work and not let a union ruin my company. Man was I off base! I guess what I'm saying is for you sitting by the airport fence it's easy to say how great is here. But just like a senior captain used to say to me when I was excited to burn Kerosene....."You'll get over it"..........he was right.

BTW...I don't shop at Walmart either

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back