Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Burt Reynolds said:
Got a couple more questions...

Fight benefits. Are you allowed to list on United/Delta (which ever side you're working on)? What type of pass? Does a United/Delta ramper's grandmother get better passes? Do you have to pay charges?

CASS?

Is reserve still "relatively" short in ORD?

Any idea of how many more aircraft SkyWest will be getting?

Thanks!

As a pilot, you can list on both, regardless of what brand your plane carries. The details are somewhat convoluted, so I won't go into them. On the mainline carriers, you will be below everybody on the SA list but those travelling on mainline buddy passes. For SkyWest, it's based on your DOH.

SkyWest is CASS-approved.

My friend hired in September is still on reserve in ORD, and has been desperately trying to transfer since hire because the commute from DEN is difficult. This may change as more people are hired. Also bear in mind that everyone transitioning over from the EMB keeps their seniority number, and hence will kick you down on the list. This presumes, of course, that you get hired for the CRJ instead of the EMB120, in which case, ORD is not an EMB domicile.

Who knows. ASA will be getting 900's, SkyWest plans to take one of ASA's current planes for each 900 they get (sorry, guys, I know it's tough to lose a domicile and be forced to move. My sympathies). There are RUMORS about 900's for United, but there are no current plans made public for anything like this. I believe we took delivery of 13 or so new 700's this spring. For more information, I would suggest browsing the SkyWest website.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the SkyWest "contract" is pretty good compared to other regionals. Daily min is greater of 3:45, 1/2 duty time(any duty scheduled above 12hrs is 1 for 1 pay), scheduled credit, or actual flight time. Most 4 day trips fall anywhere from 18 hrs to 22 hrs credit. 3 day trips are usually around 17 or 18 hrs credit, 2 days are usually 8 hrs - 12 hrs credit, locals anywhere between 3:45 and 8 hrs credit, and standups, naps, or continuous duties are usually 5 hrs. - 8 hrs. credit. I've seen other regionals with 4 day trips crediting 13 hours...that's harsh. There is also 100% deadhead pay, 100% cancellation pay whether its due to wx, maint, crew, whatever. Most other places only have 50% deadhead pay and only get cancellation pay if it's due to maint or if they meet certain performance criteria. If you get displaced from your trip you will get full pay, and if crew scheduling doesn't assign anything to you, you can pick up trips on those days and you'll get paid for both trips. In addition, after 1 year, we get performance rewards which usually run about $250 per quarter and after 2 years, we get financial rewards which usually run about $600 per quarter. So don't just look at the pay scale alone, some of these other factors makes the hourly wage seem a lot higher than other place. So, for the most part, I'd say the work rules are decent and above par. Hope this helps.

D'Angelo said:
The best part is SkyWest makes more than most ALPO carriers do. So not only that they can also feel a sense of relief knowing they have done just fine all these years without a union and look at all that money they have saved. I say good for you SkyWest.

And what do you think they would have if ALPA, or another union, didn't represent the other regionals? They have what they have because their management doesn't want a union on the property, so they try to keep up with what the union carriers have. If you think that they would have anything close to what they have now if ALPA wasn't at the other carriers you are truely an idiot.

Also, I notice that you never answered the question I posed on another thread about what keeps CMR from firing you the day before your probation ends and then re-hiring you to keep you at first year wages. If "union" is bouncing around in your head then you have the correct answer.

skypine69 said:
lemme guess, a year ago you were instructing in a 172?

directed at me? if not, my bad.

nope, been in the industry about 4 years, but I did instruct before that. are you saying that I'm not seasoned enough to realize that life actually somehow sucks at SkyWest, and that with a few more years I'll realize that? I've heard the rants of the tired and bitter before. They are alive and well at every company ((I'd know, I've worked at more than just this one). Gladly, they are in the minority at SkyWest, testament to what I've said before.

Dont let them keep you down SkyNation! God forbid someone simply be happy with your job! ALPO just hates hearing a success story especially at a non union airline.

atrdriver said:
And what do you think they would have if ALPA, or another union, didn't represent the other regionals? They have what they have because their management doesn't want a union on the property, so they try to keep up with what the union carriers have. If you think that they would have anything close to what they have now if ALPA wasn't at the other carriers you are truely an idiot.

Also, I notice that you never answered the question I posed on another thread about what keeps CMR from firing you the day before your probation ends and then re-hiring you to keep you at first year wages. If "union" is bouncing around in your head then you have the correct answer.

any airline can fire you on your 11th month and 27th day without reason. They can then offer you your job back but starting all over. The union couldnt do anything to stop that. BTW if any airline fired you then tried to rehire you at first year pay if enough people quit they would quickly change that practice and they wouldnt stay in buisness long enough. Its not good buisness practice and people wouldnt work under those terms plain and simple.

D'Angelo said:
any airline can fire you on your 11th month and 27th day without reason. They can then offer you your job back but starting all over. The union couldnt do anything to stop that. BTW if any airline fired you then tried to rehire you at first year pay if enough people quit they would quickly change that practice and they wouldnt stay in buisness long enough. Its not good buisness practice and people wouldnt work under those terms plain and simple.

Yes, the union can and did stop that. You have just proved how truely ignorant you are, as that was one of the things that ALPA was formed to stop. Just because you don't have a vote your first year doesn't mean that ALPA will not represent you if you are improperly terminated. And good business practice would NOT stop that, any more than criminally low first year pay would stop the flow of willing pilots to fly these shiny jets for 18k a year. Either you need to read "flying the line", or you have and are too stupid to realize why ALPA was formed in the first place. :puke:

atrdriver said:
Yes, the union can and did stop that. You have just proved how truely ignorant you are, as that was one of the things that ALPA was formed to stop. Just because you don't have a vote your first year doesn't mean that ALPA will not represent you if you are improperly terminated. And good business practice would NOT stop that, any more than criminally low first year pay would stop the flow of willing pilots to fly these shiny jets for 18k a year. Either you need to read "flying the line", or you have and are too stupid to realize why ALPA was formed in the first place. :puke:

Actually when on probation you can be fired for just about anything hence the world being on probation. I highly doubt that has ever happened in the time ive been at comair. It must be fun going through life paranoid thinking everyone is out to get you and without a union you are totally defenseless and cannot figure anything out for yourself. Ive never personally heard of anyone getting fired for no reason on probation. Could it happen? probably, ive heard stories at eagle if you dont do well on your probie ride they could get rid of you. I dont know of anyone that this has happened to at comair. The point is anything is possible. You have to live your life and roll with the punches. Hell tomorrow there could be a massive Y52506 bug planted in all airplanes by evil managements from the past that causes all aircraft computers to not boot up so no airplanes can go flying that day.If it happens then you just dont go flying that day. You simply cant worry about every possibility otherwise you could spend hours out of every day worrying.

Latest resources

Back