• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This DID happen early in the history of airlines. It is one of the reasons that ALPA was formed. Another was that many airlines would attempt to charge their pilots for damage done to an aircraft in an accident or incident. These are things you would know if you tried to research why ALPA exists in the first place, instead of just running around trying to convince yourself and everyone else about how evil they are.

And no, a company can't fire you for "any" reason while you are on probation. They still have to have a valid reason. And yes, you can fight for your own rights, if you have the money for a lawyer, and the knowledge about where and who to talk to. Just like you can fight the FAA yourself on a certificate action. Or you can have experts who have done it before do it for you. I know which my choice is. Do I agree with everything ALPA does? No, but I know that my money is well spent overall. If ALPA didn't exist you would not be working under near as good of conditions as you are right now at CMR, and that's a fact.

ilkwamh2 said:
In my opinion, the SkyWest "contract" is pretty good compared to other regionals. Daily min is greater of 3:45, 1/2 duty time(any duty scheduled above 12hrs is 1 for 1 pay), scheduled credit, or actual flight time. Most 4 day trips fall anywhere from 18 hrs to 22 hrs credit. 3 day trips are usually around 17 or 18 hrs credit, 2 days are usually 8 hrs - 12 hrs credit, locals anywhere between 3:45 and 8 hrs credit, and standups, naps, or continuous duties are usually 5 hrs. - 8 hrs. credit. I've seen other regionals with 4 day trips crediting 13 hours...that's harsh. There is also 100% deadhead pay, 100% cancellation pay whether its due to wx, maint, crew, whatever. Most other places only have 50% deadhead pay and only get cancellation pay if it's due to maint or if they meet certain performance criteria. If you get displaced from your trip you will get full pay, and if crew scheduling doesn't assign anything to you, you can pick up trips on those days and you'll get paid for both trips. In addition, after 1 year, we get performance rewards which usually run about $250 per quarter and after 2 years, we get financial rewards which usually run about $600 per quarter. So don't just look at the pay scale alone, some of these other factors makes the hourly wage seem a lot higher than other place. So, for the most part, I'd say the work rules are decent and above par. Hope this helps.

But no matter how good your "contract" is today, it can be completely changed tomorrow!!!

SkyNation said:
the constant reference to Kool Aid on this bitchboard is really tired, lame, and really used incorrectly.

Jim Jones convinced his followers to drink his Kool Aid at Jonestown and it killed them.

are we being 'killed' at SkyWest by allowing our management to do what they are supposed to do, which is minimize costs and maximize profits? that helps me when I get my bonus checks, the company remains competitive, flying oppurtunities increase, etc. by doing so, they are indeed 'looking our for me' by in like manner looking out for the overall health and strength of the company.

the analogy only works if we were being 'killed' with layoffs, pay cuts (yeah, yeah, 70 seat for 50....blah, blah, blah-I wasn't here then), etc.

instead, SkyWest thrives and most of us are happier working here than we would be elsewhere. our total pay is right in line with what the industry will allow. what is the problem with that? who is making so much more than me, has such a better schedule, and is so much better off? I would hope that all my counterparts at AE, XJet, Comair, etc. would be able to say the same about their companies. if they can't, they should look elsewhere. many have, and ended up coming here.

So you're on 5 year pay. How would you feel if management decided to cut costs and keep the company competetive by furloughing everyone with 4+ years, then replacing you with new hires? I HAS HAPPENED at nonunion carriers in the past. That's why airline unions were formed. There is NOTHING preventing SKW management from doing this.

John Pennekamp said:
So you're on 5 year pay. How would you feel if management decided to cut costs and keep the company competetive by furloughing everyone with 4+ years, then replacing you with new hires? I HAS HAPPENED at nonunion carriers in the past. That's why airline unions were formed. There is NOTHING preventing SKW management from doing this.

I've heard this 'management is the boogeyman and is trying to screw you' theory before. this is part of what fosters the inherent adversarial attitude that comes with a union on property.

the fact is that in over 30 years, skywest has NOT done this. if they do anytime soon, I'll be the first to eat humble pie and admit it. however, they are wise enough to know that happy employees are integral in operating a quality company. being good at providing this while remaining competitive is what has kept skywest a leader in this arena. why do I have it so bad here I ask? we are financially in great shape, have never furloughed a pilot, upgrades run less time than most regionals, and we have bases in places I want to live in.

oh right, I'm just a stupid management lackey who doesn't know any better.

well, back to enjoying my life

SkyNation said:
I've heard this 'management is the boogeyman and is trying to screw you' theory before. this is part of what fosters the inherent adversarial attitude that comes with a union on property.

the fact is that in over 30 years, skywest has NOT done this. if they do anytime soon, I'll be the first to eat humble pie and admit it. however, they are wise enough to know that happy employees are integral in operating a quality company. being good at providing this while remaining competitive is what has kept skywest a leader in this arena. why do I have it so bad here I ask? we are financially in great shape, have never furloughed a pilot, upgrades run less time than most regionals, and we have bases in places I want to live in.

These union guys just absolutely hate hearing stories like this. They just have to think that management is looking in every dark corner waiting to get you. They have to think that without a union theyd soil themselves and not know how to clean up the mess. The problem is everyone is thinking like its still the early days of aviation. Guess what its the 21st century. Unions are no longer nessecary. They did their jobs now they either need to adapt their line of thinking or they will end up pricing themselves right out of the market. I say good for you SkyNation. Its good to see another non union success story of someone thats livin it up!

atrdriver said:
Yes, the union can and did stop that. You have just proved how truely ignorant you are, as that was one of the things that ALPA was formed to stop. Just because you don't have a vote your first year doesn't mean that ALPA will not represent you if you are improperly terminated. And good business practice would NOT stop that, any more than criminally low first year pay would stop the flow of willing pilots to fly these shiny jets for 18k a year. Either you need to read "flying the line", or you have and are too stupid to realize why ALPA was formed in the first place. :puke:

Good point....I mean, lately, I have heard of soooooo many non union airlines improperly firing pilots. It's happening daily....haven't you all heard? :rolleyes:

SkyNation said:

Didn't your mgmt make some sort of a promise regarding 50 & 70 seat wages?
Ask some of the sr people (on the sly, don't put yourself or them at risk) if SkyWest has ever unreasonably canned someone. Enjoy the pie!

I think it is adversarial and dishonest tactics by management that leads to a union showing up on property. I think you are putting the cart ahead of the horse. You SkyWest people have had a great relationship with mgmt over the years, that other carriers envy. However, the cracks in the relationship are starting to show. I bet your management has legitimate contracts with their partners, why shouldn't you? If your management is so benevolent and brotherly, I am sure they will treat the union folks with respect right? I mean the union people would be pilots from within your ranks, so there would be no animosity coming from HQ correct? After all, management does realize how happy employees are integral to a successful business.

capt. megadeth said:
Good point....I mean, lately, I have heard of soooooo many non union airlines improperly firing pilots. It's happening daily....haven't you all heard? :rolleyes:

No, of course they don't. They did before ALPA was formed however. Now all airlines, union or not, benefit either directly or indirectly by ALPA's existance. If a non union airline started doing that then there would soon be a successful union drive, which of course management doesn't want.

Latest resources

Back