Skywest Concessions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ski Bum

In the latest SAPA President's message a proposal on deadhead pay was discussed.

Our current deadhead policy states that we will receive 100% flight pay for the scheduled block time. Under this new proposal we will be compensated for the "historic block time" (which is a time created by management from...you guessed it...a historical average of block times on that flight). The only problem is that management can change this time as they see fit (they did so immediately following our "pay raise" by an average of 8% according to BH in a SAPA email distributed to all Skywest pilots). In addition, we all know that the historic block times are less than the scheduled block times.

So to summarize, Skywest management has a new proposal that will pay us less for deadheads. I hope this doesn't slip under the radar and that we realize that this is a concession. But then again that is how Skywest works, they chip away at the pilots by making small "policy changes" that add up quickly.

For those pilots who claim to be too new to Skywest to really see how the policies have changed to degrade our compensation and quality of life...here it is. Now you see it. It might only be 10-15 minutes, or maybe you never deadhead, but it only takes a couple of these adjustments to make a substantial impact.

It is time to get our policies in a legally binding contract to prevent these policy changes from taking what we already have.

It is time to unionize.

And if you enter a hold then what? or get diverted? or the actual flight time exceeds block by 20 mins. And lets just suppose you have 3 dH's in a 1 month schedule.

Kiss an hour of pay goodby..

I always felt bad when going from LAX to FAT, when I worked for Eagle. If we got off before SkyWest "for sequencing" Skywest would get slow to 170 or less.

And if you enter a hold then what? or get diverted? or the actual flight time exceeds block by 20 mins. And lets just suppose you have 3 dH's in a 1 month schedule.

Kiss an hour of pay goodby..

If we just don't pay attention for awhile, based on SkyWest Mgmt's track record, we'll wake up one day and find ourselves working for free. Wait.... I guess we already do that.

Any minute now, SkyNation will chime in how it's best to take care of the company and that the deadhead concession is a small price to pay to keep SkyWest management interest in taking care of them.

He'll say all of you "unionazis" just want to burn the place down. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. SAPA truly does have the best interests of the Skywest pilots in mind.

Skywest pilots, we got a contract. It's pretty good. Get off the dime and vote in ALPA, then get you some of it. If you vote no, Jerry may match us for you, but it won't be permanent.

I love how BH is coming out with a "letter of clarification." In it he clarifies that DH on Skywest airplanes will be paid hostorical block (aka "credit").

The present policy is that it is paid based on SCEDULED BLOCK. There is nothing to "clarify."

Any minute now, SkyNation will chime in how it's best to take care of the company and that the deadhead concession is a small price to pay to keep SkyWest management interest in taking care of them.

He'll say all of you "unionazis" just want to burn the place down. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. SAPA truly does have the best interests of the Skywest pilots in mind.

Skywest pilots, we got a contract. It's pretty good. Get off the dime and vote in ALPA, then get you some of it. If you vote no, Jerry may match us for you, but it won't be permanent.

Yeah SAPA is a joke. And I'm voting in the union, but not happily. Don't you realize you just got Skywest's work rules, the one's they've had for the past 7 years? 9 year crj capt at ASA makes roughly 74. Skywest $72. Take off 2% and you're making $.52 an hour more after Union dues. "Get us some of it"? Gimme a break.

Skynation......

Where are you toolbag? All I hear are crickets chirping.......

This idiot has criticized everything ASA pilots have done from day 1...... Now that he is getting screwed, where is he?

-Excellent point!

You do realize that SkyWest has been paying "credit" (historical) times for all SkyWest DH flights for quite sometime?

that is BH's argument to many of the changes that come down is "this is how it has always been done". That statement was what he said about cancellation pay as well.

I think I will submit that if the company wants the concession of credit times for DH, then perhaps we should counter with.....credit or actual whichever is greater.

Latest resources

Back