• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest/ASA merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oooooh.......did wittle ol' viper01 get up on the wong side of da bed???

A little touchy today?

viper01 said:
Arctic,
Since when did the same 3 neg. ASA pilots on flightinfo account for the rest of our 1750ish pilot group.

When P38JLightning wrote this:

That silence, coupled with a small number of proclaimed skywest pilots who are publicly hoping for an ASA staple to happen, leads many to believe your group as a whole wouldn't have a problem with that.

Lump the 2000 plus pilots of SKYW in with with a minority of malcontents, and don't be surprised when that happens to you as well.

I think YOU need to grow up.

You first!

My airline has more character than yours. Whatever and who cares.

I need to grow up? Read your last two lines.

AF :cool:

Kind of seems like a bad mix-- and I would have to say as a junior cpt. the last thing I need in the cockpit is some pissed off FO that feels he has a right to run the show and would be happy to tear down the airline that we are both working for. I know that 99% of the ASA pilots are pros and good people that want what is best for themselves and their employer, so this applies to a select few:

I could have chosen to pursue ASA at my DOH, or ACA, CO-tex, ComAir or Mesa for that matter but I chose to hold out for my choice SkyWest. Is it luck that they are in the position they are in? maybe, but I know the reason I chose SkyWest is they have good bases with adequate snowfall near for my QOL. It is too bad that Big D and the others are struggling and it may spell out the end of ASA after they are forced into Chpt. 11, but for gods sake (and this goes for just a small percentage of those who have spoken up here) please quit if there is ANYTYPE of merger because I don't want to work with any whining pussies, you made your decision to work for ASA and stick with it and where it takes you or get out! Peace, JP

Last edited:
That silence, coupled with a small number of proclaimed skywest pilots who are publicly hoping for an ASA staple to happen, leads many to believe your group as a whole wouldn't have a problem with that.

I sure wouldnt, I'd love to see your sorry butt firmly planted in the right seat of our EMB on eternal reserve. Hahahahahaha, What do you think about that?

P38,

Dont​
be so​
bitter​
man,​
cant​
wait​
till you're​
bringing my gear up,​
you must be a joy to​
fly with. If the rumor​
was ASA buying Skywest​
how would you be posting​
here? I think you would be looking​
around your house for the good old​
stapler wouldnt you. So stop being a​
hypocrite and start filling out an​
application. I hear we're​
pushing 40 people​
every 3 weeks.​

PM me, I'll even give you an internal recommendation.

Last edited:
ArcticFlier said:
Dave,

You made my point. SKYW doesn't buy whole airlines. They buy the parts they want. Interview who they need to fill the parts they bought, and press on. No muss, no fuss.

I didn't say anyone from West Air ever complained. It is what it is. West Air went bye-bye (thanks to MESA) and we picked up the pieces at the yard sale. From what Jerry has said, it's the way he prefers to do things.

~shrug~

FWIW

AF,

I sincerely hope you are correct. What concerns me is that SKYW management has spoken to investors and the press stating that there have been talks with DAL to buy ASA. There was never any talk of acquiring Westair. It was just a big chunk of additional flying. An ASA merger or acquisition could be hazardous to SKYW pilot careers. ASA pilots enjoy the protection of an RLA recognized contract and have the resources of ALPA at their disposal. ASA pilots are far more unified than SKYW pilots. Mergers are seldom good for employees. Although there is a diverse range of opinions about a merger I think one thing is pretty much agreed upon by pilots of both airlines - it would be better if it didn't happen.

nice

front9 said:
I sure wouldnt, I'd love to see your sorry butt firmly planted in the right seat of our EMB on eternal reserve. Hahahahahaha, What do you think about that?

P38,

Dont
be so
bitter
man,
cant
wait
till you're
bringing my gear up,
you must be a joy to
fly with. If the rumor
was ASA buying Skywest
how would you be posting
here? I think you would be looking
around your house for the good old
stapler wouldnt you. So stop being a
hypocrite and start filling out an
application. I hear we're
pushing 40 people
every 3 weeks.​

PM me, I'll even give you an internal recommendation.

First of all, if ASA was buying Skywest, I'd be pushing for a fair and equitable seniority list integration. That goes for Comair purchasing Skywest too. I'm not sure why but you seem to think if A purchases B then all B's pilots are stapled below A's. That is not the case and never has been. The ASA pilots have a contract that must be honored. A straight up staple is not an option despite who buys who.

I'm not with ASA, I just want to see them get a fair deal. As for the prospect of parceling ASA out so that technically you are just buying assets of a dwindiling operation, I doubt that will happen. If Delta dumps ASA it will do so because Delta is in an emergency cash crunch and needs large volumes of cash ASAP. The economics of that situation will preclude a slow, drawn out transfer of asset scenario just to satisfy your windfall fantasies.

Perhaps the funniest thing of all is that you really think you are going to be rewarded to such an extreme extent for being management's good little boys and girls. That they love and care for you so much they will go to the ends of the earth to get you a seniority windfall, and structure any deal to guarantee it is at the same time laughable and tragic.

If and when the shoe is on the other foot, you will be the first to squeal like a stuck pig. Suddenly you will be arguing how Allegheny/Mohawk should protect you, and how the arbitrator owes you some seniority for your years of service. But neither will be there for you unless other things change, so your future salary, seniority and quality/quantity of precious resume time will be in the hands of others. Perhaps others you just recently tried to screw over. Others who have a contract, while you do not.

Articflyer,

I realize only a small sample of Skywest pilots post here, or anywhere for that matter. My problem is with the near unanimous sentiment of those who do post (and claim to be Skywest pilots) either for a staple or just saying its out of their hands. How hard is it to see that stapling 2000 ASA pilots in a straight up merger is outrageous? How hard is it to tell your management, when you meet with them so they can value your input (that does happen, doesn't it?) that a staple is 100% unacceptable and you expect your fellow aviatior to be treated fairly?

As for your avatar, yes it did piss me off. Maybe that's because "people like me" don't like to see 2000 fellow pilots screwed over and get placed below a new hire with 12 and 2. I realize you and others are riding high because you think your company is about to be the buyer of another company, and that that gives your pilots some kind of advantage. I think you're very wrong about that, despite what your managers tell you in ground school (who, by the way, are paid good money to placate you into not voting union, so they are required by their job description to tell you that) but if the worm turns someday and you are on the recieving end of another pilot group trying to rape your seniority list for personal profit, I will be against that, too.

And while I'm not blaming all Skywest pilots, it would be nice to see a few publicly denounce what all too many others here have either actively or passively embraced, or feigned indifference about.

How hard is it to tell your management, when you meet with them so they can value your input (that does happen, doesn't it?) that a staple is 100% unacceptable and you expect your fellow aviatior to be treated fairly?

Once again, you seem to think we can do anything about it. We can tell SGU until we're blue in the face how we think it should be done. They will do what is best for them and the shareholders. Not the employees. If we are on the same page, so be it. If we aren't......... well who gets the sh1t end of the stick? Not SGU.

That wasn't the answer you wanted, but that's too bad. Them's the facts, boss.

Talk is cheap........action is what is the variable cost.

Dave Benjamin said:
AF,

I sincerely hope you are correct. What concerns me is that SKYW management has spoken to investors and the press stating that there have been talks with DAL to buy ASA. There was never any talk of acquiring Westair. It was just a big chunk of additional flying. An ASA merger or acquisition could be hazardous to SKYW pilot careers. ASA pilots enjoy the protection of an RLA recognized contract and have the resources of ALPA at their disposal. ASA pilots are far more unified than SKYW pilots. Mergers are seldom good for employees. Although there is a diverse range of opinions about a merger I think one thing is pretty much agreed upon by pilots of both airlines - it would be better if it didn't happen.

You're right in that the West Air thing was different than the current ASA deal, but the comparison points to how SGU likes to do business at the end of the day. SKYW could have bought West Air outright, but they didn't. They'd rather not buy whole airlines (unless the price is right, which I suspect it wasn't). Just acquire the parts needed, man them as necessary, and off they go.

My suspicion is that it was a fishing expedition just to see where the price would go given certain terms.

Last edited:
Even after a possible bankruptcy, DL could ditch SkyWest. If you think SkyWest is the one calling the shots here, I think you are wrong. They may HAVE to buy ASA to stay in the game at DCI. Where else would SkyWest like to go? Start up a low cost airline with all RJs? Go for it. Right now SkyWest is called DEPENDANCE Air. They depend on two airlines that aren't doing very well, and that is the way it is.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gen

What makes you think it will be DAL doing the dumping? DAL is the company that is losing billions. I'd be cautious to stay there, especially given the lack of real progress. If I had to stick with one of the partners, I'd keep UAL. DAL's future is a real question mark. Both nature and business abhor a vacuum, DAL goes away, someone will the void and the same regional flying will be available. I don't expect you to agree with me publicly, but deep down were you write the mortgage check you have to be wondering yourself. If DAL does stop the tailspin, will it be the same DAL it was just a few years ago? Will it be like TWA in the decade or so till it went away, simply treading water until its final demise?

Latest resources

Back