SkyWest ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
One wonders how the Mesaba guys feel about their friends at Northwest who have voted against providing strike benefits to Mesaba pilots, while pushing for an alter ego airline to perform the flying which was flown by Mesaba.."

Fins, This is false and you know it. It was a mistake and misunderstanding... Play Fair.....

Answer the following....

Again, what is the RJDC doing besides lawsuits.....?

While you may believe your efforts are true, is a consequence that the RJDC is playing into managements agenda of lowering the wage & work rules for the piloting profession? We want to lift ourselves up, not keep us down....

What does the current economice situation have to do with the existance of the RJDC?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Fins,

I say to you, that the issue has been raised...but HOW do you propose to get back to the basics... In addition, what exactly is the RJDC doing besides sueing.

ALPA's representational "race to the bottom" is the same structure that brought us UAL2000 and DAL2001. Seemed to work fine then. If you want to change the structure around, then all will be complaining when the boom and growth return, that thier pay is limited by the national structure. If the UAL guys return to super profitiablity why should thier negotiations be limited by another company that is doing poorly?

The problem is management runs thier agenda and all expect ALPA to counter free market forces (even Greenspan can't do that!) and reverse upper management decisions....

Air Line Pilots Do Not Run Airlines!
I'm not "the" expert. Others in ALPA and the RJDC are a lot smarter than I am but I will give it a shot:
1. ALPA needs an effective judiciary branch where a pilot, or group, can resolve grievances dealing with the harmful activities of another competing pilot group.
2. ALPA needs powerful and effective National leadership to restrain the predatory inclinations of pilots against one another.
3. ALPA needs to reform its constitution and bylaws to restore its merger and fragmentation polisies, as well as the restoration of other sections which were removed specifically to enable predatory bargaining. The changes just prior to the 2000 BOD meeting serves as a partial example.
4. ALPA needs to philosophically return to the days when our union did not want low pilot wages to enable one airline to unfairly compete against another airline. As you know, ALPA has endorsed every single concessionary contract in force today.
5. Once the floor is established we need to return to jacking up the house, one corner at a time, by establishing a pattern of only endorsing progressive contracts.
6. The union needs to stop shinking and grow.

Your examples of UAL's 2000 contract and Delta's 2001 contract were not restrained by ASA's 1998 contract, or any rights given to any ASA, or Comair pilots. In my opinion ALPA today could not obtain those contracts because it lacks the organization to achieve them (gutting the Constitution and removing the rules tends to cause any organization to begin running amok). I don't know how having a fair union representing all pilots equally would cause a reduction in ALPA's bargaining ability. After all, aren't the Delta and Northwest pilots currently negotiating rates that are less than the established regional rates? It appears to me that ALPA's acceptance of alter ego competition has resulted in more competitors driving the price lower.

If your point is that ALPA should be able to negotiate higher wages for mainline on the backs of First Officers at ASA and Skywest, then I disagree with you. Mainline pilots do feel like theirs are the only "real" jobs and that small jet jobs are simply for losers and a place to serve an apprenticeship. I disagree strongly with that view and believe that all of us are in a profession together. Sure mainline pilots should make more, but they should not recieve a bonus for selling their scope to an underpaid regional pilot.

The RJDC lawsuit not only seeks to roll back the clock, it provides a stiff penalty if ALPA fails to take corrective action. The litigants sked nicely, attended LEC and MEC meetings, proposed resolutions, took their arguements to ALPA National, the Bilateral Scope Impact Committee and the President of the union. ALPA refused to take any corrective action, effectively telling the pilots they really should negotiate with the Delta MEC to solve an ALPA problem.

Again, I'm not "the" expert, but clearly ALPA could do a lot better if it listened to the input of all of its members instead of a select few. That is the nature of a Democratic union. Like our nation, ALPA can follow the will of the majority, while protecting the rights of the minority.

Regards,
~~~^~~~

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Fins, This is false and you know it. It was a mistake and misunderstanding... Play Fair.....

Answer the following....

Again, what is the RJDC doing besides lawsuits.....?

While you may believe your efforts are true, is a consequence that the RJDC is playing into managements agenda of lowering the wage & work rules for the piloting profession? We want to lift ourselves up, not keep us down....

What does the current economice situation have to do with the existance of the RJDC?
I just got a copy of the vote in the e-mail. If there was an error, I have not seen the correction posted. Given the other activities at Northwest, I assumed the vote was correct, but if you have different information, I will defer to you on the matter.

ALPA would not provide any solution outside of litigation. Believe me, funding litigation to try to fix our union was a last resort. That is part of the problem, if a pilot has a beef against the company, ALPA will gladly fight management. If you have a beef with the union, you have to file a lawsuit.

Current economics have nothing to do with the RJDC. The RJDC came together in 1999 and 2000 as a result of changes ALPA made to our Constitution and the way the changes were immediately employed by some MEC's to harm other pilot groups. ALPA's leadership problems are not the result of the current economic environment, but the terrible state of our industry has made the problems in ALPA much more obvious (and harmful) to our members.

From a SkyWest pilot's perspective, is it better to be represented by someone who represents the interests of the SkyWest pilots, or is it better to be represented by ALPA, who pushes the interests of the Delta pilots? There are a lot of Delta pilots who feel it would be better for Skywest pilots if Skywest did not exist - after all regional jobs are not "real" jobs.

Last edited:
sweptback said:
No, we have the Railway Labor Act on our side. The scenario that you laid out could never happen. For as many faults as the RLA has, the company can't just change our contract at will.
Hey,
ssterno is a kool-aid, drinker of the first order, he only becomes active when the union drives start up. He trolls around California in a brazilldo, doing locals and living the good life. He is probabally thinks he will spend his airline career flying in one time zone and sleeping at home, 'till he retires. Let him come out to a domicile not so near, and fly like the rest of us, time zone shufflers. Every kool-aid drinker softens when they come out and fly like the rest of us, I do not deny him the right to fly the lifestyle he does, but when he spouts the $hit like the above statements, I just want to give him a serious talking to and follow it up with a very serious letter.
PBR

Fins and 737, why don't you knock it off. You're scaring the SKW guys away! 737, it takes two to fight, why engage him?

capt. megadeth said:
A lawyer you hire for your wrongful termination lawsuit.
Hey,
"at-will" employment, the only one who will win will be the laywer who cashes your check. And if you are dead because of "pilot pushing", well who really cares, you are dead.
PBR

737 Pylt said:
The real reason I hate you guys is that you are all liars (you have yet to tell the truth about anything) and SCABS! Actually, you're worse than scabs, at least scabs wait til you're out of work to do your flying!
I perform the flying your MEC negotiated, that your pilot group ratified and that ALPA endorsed. My pilot group was not allowed to participte, or vote on, your agreement with your management. So how exactly did I, or any pilot at ASA, or Skywest, steal your flying? How exactly are we taking your flying when you negotiated it away?

John Pennekamp said:
Fins and 737, why don't you knock it off. You're scaring the SKW guys away! 737, it takes two to fight, why engage him?
If 737Pylt lets the Skywest guys see what they are in for - then this thread has provided has provided beneficial information for their consideration.

~~~^~~~ said:
I perform the flying your MEC negotiated, that your pilot group ratified and that ALPA endorsed. My pilot group was not allowed to participte, or vote on, your agreement with your management. So how exactly did I, or any pilot at ASA, or Skywest, steal your flying? How exactly are we taking your flying when you negotiated it away?
I have no problem with the flyin you are doing, it is the lawsuit, that you are trying take away the flying that I am doing! Your suit is about trying to take something that doesn't belong to you. $$ and flying.

~~~^~~~ said:
From a SkyWest pilot's perspective, is it better to be represented by someone who represents the interests of the SkyWest pilots, or is it better to be represented by ALPA, who pushes the interests of the Delta pilots? There are a lot of Delta pilots who feel it would be better for Skywest pilots if Skywest did not exist - after all regional jobs are not "real" jobs.

OK then here's an idea, next time you have an altitude bust, or a hold short bust, or what ever.....Just dial the rjdc and let them represent you. I'm sure Haber is well versed in the F.A.R.'s so that he can see to it that violation won't happen! Maybe he can sue for you claiming that its hurting your career, and get some mega $$ from the FAA! He might even make you a 777 captain as promised by your leadership and DF!
As far as the regional jobs comment...I just consider the source. How many legacy pilots began their roots as regional pilot? But hey, they way you pukes like to lie, its the norm!

Last edited:
I think some pilots at SKYW may be watching the situation at NWA closely. ALPA appears anxious to once again abrogate seniority at a regional just the way they did at the Airways WO's. If ALPA really wants to recruit SKYW pilots they should knock that crap off and respect seniority at all ALPA carriers, not just mainline. It's particularly ironic that the only J4J agreement that does not sacrifice regional pilot seniority and career progression was negotiated by a non-union carrier.

Latest resources

Back