SkyWest ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
John Pennekamp said:
Who's going to protect your life, your pay, your licence and your family?.

A lawyer you hire for your wrongful termination lawsuit.

Attention Skywest Pilots

Your consideration for ALPA has two (or more) facets.

The first is locally. If your current working conditions include

1. Fear and intimidation to include pilot pushing.
2. No (political) voice
3. Limited bargaining strength
4. Limited scope protection
5. Limited job protection
6. Limited say in safety issues

Then you may require representation. If you answered yes to three or more, it is time to get educated on a union.

Another local issue is your pay and work rules is based on Collective Bargaining Agreements faught hard for by union pilots. Your management constantly looks at these agreements to makes sure you are just right. However, you have no ability to know how much you can really earn at Skywest becuase you have no way to look at your companies books. You must take your managers word at face value.

The other is national issues. If you intend to stay at Skywest then perhaps ALPA is not for you. Your only achillies heel is Skywest security. The company fails then you are out. In that case when your eco dome collapses will you want ALPA preferred interviews? And most likely you will join an ALPA carrier. Why not already be a part of the organization. What are the chances of SkyWest lasting until you retire? AWAC is one of the oldest regionals around and they almost didn't make it. Regionals don't last forever...

Nonetheless here is the coup de grace.....

Everything that effects a Skywests pilots' job and carrier is determined on Captial Hill in WashDC. Are you heard? ALPA is the only organization thru its numbers to maintain a dialog with the senators and legislators. Not the APA, not SWAPA, not the IPA, not the NPA and not FPA. It is not becuase ALPA is wonderful or the best, it is simply because ALPA has the membership base and size to maintain a presence on CapHill. Most pilots do not even realize the value of this, and therefore take it for granted. The non ALPA pilots don't even have a clue.

In addition, SWAPA and the APA constantly purchase Economic and Financial Analysis data from ALPA.

Marion Blaksley recently praised ALPA for the safety work. ALPA's reputation amongts the policy makers and players in Wash DC is very good.

Place no value in superficial statements about ALPA both good and bad. If you aren't listening to fact based information that makes sense then tune it out and read a book on ALPA.

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Nonetheless here is the coup de grace.....

Everything that effects a Skywests pilots' job and carrier is determined on Captial Hill in WashDC. Are you heard? ALPA is the only organization thru its numbers to maintain a dialog with the senators and legislators. Not the APA, not SWAPA, not the IPA, not the NPA and not FPA.

The above statement is not true. How about http://www.capapilots.org/ of which SWAPA, IPA, NPA, APA are members of to get their message out in DC?

Skywest pilots need to make their own decision on what is right for them and not listen to any of the rest of us.

http://www.capapilots.org/capa_history.html

The Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations is a trade association representing more than 22,000 pilots from five leading commercial air carriers. Since its birth in 1997, CAPA has committed itself to addressing issues of aviation safety, security and regulation that affect its members and the traveling public.

The Coalition can trace its roots to the spring of 1997 when, after years of informal cooperation, its five member unions came together in earnest to support American Airlines pilots as they went on strike. The unions joined their voices to urge Congress not to intervene in the dispute, helping prevent lawmakers from dictating the terms of a settlement.

Led by Captains Mike Cronin (APA) and Steve McPhail (SWAPA), CAPA officially came into existence that summer. Since then, the Coalition has garnered respect as a leading voice in aviation, working vigorously on behalf of passengers, flight crewmembers and the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
storminpilot said:
The above statement is not true. How about http://www.capapilots.org/ of which SWAPA, IPA, NPA, APA are members of to get their message out in DC?

Skywest pilots need to make their own decisions on what is right for them and not listen to any of the rest of us..

I stand.....informed and corrected. Good to know and good information. Thanks.

CAPA is the Pilot Assosiciations that aren't ALPA.

ALPA was formed in 1931. CAPA in 1997.

The labor union leadership of CAPA have realized what 90% of us don't. Everything happens on Captial Hill. The APA, SWAPA, IPA, teamsters, etc realized that they had limited voice or no voice in Washington. So they formed a way to do what ALPA has been doing for 75 years.

Sure would be nice if we all spoke with one voice. Nonetheless I support CAPA. If you don't give to ALPA-PAC then give to CAPA-PAC.

So, back to the discussion... The Skywest Pilots have a choice.. They can join ALPA and its legislative effectiveness or create an in house union and possibly join CAPA or keep the status quo....

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
What do you suggest? Becuase I don't see any new ideas, any vision statements form you.
Rez, or should I call you Duane?,
My job it to fly airplanes, not lead ALPA. It's your job, Duane, to lead the union. But since you asked I'll give you a clue. Quit relying on your old pilot chonies, and start surrounding yourself with talented individuals. Either that, or just resign and let someone else provide some leadership.

The choices are:
1) SAPA
2) nothing
3) IBT
4) in house
5) ALPA

ALPA surley has warts, but do a cost/benfit analysis on each choice and they win out. I'm not sure I'd make this choice on only one or two issues, though.

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
50 years ago there were no RJ's or regional feed.

There were airliners, flown by pilots. Same as it is today, same as it ever was. When ALPA's movers and shakers decided to protect "what was theirs" instead of their profession, it all came tumbling down.

Last edited:
Ben Dover said:
Rez, or should I call you Duane?,
My job it to fly airplanes, not lead ALPA. It's your job, Duane, to lead the union. But since you asked I'll give you a clue. Quit relying on your old pilot chonies, and start surrounding yourself with talented individuals. Either that, or just resign and let someone else provide some leadership.

Yet, you fail to respond to the debate. More anecdotal and rethorical post. My signiture line, sir, is for you.

Juan_Tugo said:
There were airliners, flown by pilots. Same as it is today, same as it ever was. When ALPA's movers and shakers decided to protect "what was theirs" instead of their profession, it all came tumbling down.

Agreed..somewhat, but it might not be that simple.

Consider this...

When the regionals or commuters became the new thing at the legacy carriers, the proposal to ALPA might have gone done like this....

"In order to manage our cost we are adding another vendor to service our Brand." XYZ Commuter will fly 19seat turbo props for our Brand."

The ALPA pilots might have replied, that is our flying, we own it. To which management would've countered, "sure.. your pilots can quit mainline and fly there if they want."

The whole premise of starting another airline to serve mainline creates plenty of issues. If mainline pilots operated commuter airplanes from the begininnig, who would they work for? Mainline or the commuter? Who would be their supervisor? Picture a mainline pilot who works for mainline but flies a commuter aircraft. He/she is the only employee that doesn't work for the commuter. Will the FAA even allow a pilot who does work for the certificate holder to operate the aircraft? It could cause alot of discord.

Plenty of regional pilots think they got screwed when the mainline guys simply cut them off at the 50 seat jet line. Maybe.

It is interesting how, now, the mainline guys are moving the 50 seat line to 70 seat. And J4J and pref hiring are reactionary efforts....

Brand Scope has its place, but it still has problems. For example, with regionals that feed multiple carriers, how is a pilot aligned with a Brand? Does he just choose one? Maybe.

Mainline wants to pick and choose who gets to work for them, thus a simple flow thru isn't acceptable. It get more complex when multiple regionals feed different brands and the brand has multiple feeders. (USAIR). It is easier with one feed. (CAL)

Thus the issue is incredibly complex. For a pilot to point to ALPA and say "you guys sux", Says more about the pilot and his lack of understanding of the issues.

To all:
This is your career. Spend some time listening instead of talking. Get informed. No one is consciencously trying to screw another, and if they were could you be the bigger person?

ALPA is a resource not a service.

Last edited:
capt. megadeth said:
A lawyer you hire for your wrongful termination lawsuit.

Or one provided by your union that you don't have to pay for.

Here in Georgia, we are a "right to work" state, and it is extremely difficult to win a wrongful termination lawsuit. I pretty much has to be discrimination. A union grievance is the only way to get your job back. Don't know about Utah, but you might want to check.

Latest resources

Back