Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

John Pennekamp

I'd rather be here...
I know there have been 1000 threads on this topic, but I want to mention something to all of you contemplating the union vote.

It's not just about the contract.

Much of the debate has centered around having a firm contract that can't be changed with a pen, discipline procedures, representation, etc...

Don't forget about the fringe benefits ALPA can offer you:

Aeromedical Department:
I personally know many pilots who lost their medical and ALPA worked with the FAA and their doc to get it back quickly. For everything from heart trouble to seizures.

Air Safety: ALPA has been a leader in air safety for over 75 years.

Incident/Accident hotline: If you have the misfortune of an incident or accident help is a phone call away 24/7/365. One call sets the full force of ALPA in motion to help you at a time you will feel very alone. Air safety, legal, representation, and all of the other departments will advise you and be at your disposal.

Insurance programs: ALPA runs several insurance programs which are a great benefit. I get $1,000,000 of life insurance for $400 a year. You can't beat that. The loss of license and disability programs are also very good.

Political presence: ALPA is a voice that is recognized and listened to in Washington. They are the only real challengers to the ATA and RAA, which are management's lobby groups. They work behind the scenes, on both sides of the aisle, to insure Air Line Pilots best interests are represented and acted upon. ALPA is the worlds largest pilot union and has the credibility no one else can offer.

I'm sure there are many more that others can come up with.

Before you vote (or choose not to vote at all) consider the whole picture and what you're missing out on.

Not voting at all counts as a no vote!

For me the 2% is a small price to pay to guarantee a contract, job protection, a formal grievance system, and all of the other benefits. SAPA can not provide this for you.

Now that ASA has a contract, things are going to get very interesting at SkyWest, Inc. Your best move may be to join the ASA pilots and fight together with us against a holding company that cares most about increasing profits at our expense. Our fight is your fight, as we're in this together.

Remember "Bargain together, or beg alone".

Political presence: ALPA is a voice that is recognized and listened to in Washington. They are the only real challengers to the ATA and RAA, which are management's lobby groups. They work behind the scenes, on both sides of the aisle, to insure Air Line Pilots best interests are represented and acted upon. ALPA is the worlds largest pilot union and has the credibility no one else can offer.

Remember "Bargain together, or beg alone".

For me, this part is an asset that gets over looked by virtually everyone, including ALPA pilots.

Flying aircraft, is a profession, not a job. ALPA is the best way to defend/improve our profession.

It cannot be said enough.

Medeco

Incident/Accident hotline: If you have the misfortune of an incident or accident help is a phone call away 24/7/365. One call sets the full force of ALPA in motion to help you at a time you will feel very alone. Air safety, legal, representation, and all of the other departments will advise you and be at your disposal.

This is one of the biggest items for me. Now that I'm not at an ALPA carrier, I no longer have access to this hotline. It's a big difference to your peace of mind. Knowing that if anything happens ALPA will have a team of investigators, lawyers, and CommSpecs on the way is a nice feeling. Without ALPA, you're on your own.

One more point - ALPA allows its members to sit at the table and recieve union representation when negotiating the terms of your employment. Sounds insignificant until you realize that the instability of our profession means you will likely work for two or more airlines in your career and the integration, succession and ability to ensure your job goes with your airplane are highly dependent on what you can negotiate and enforce.

We will learn what job protections the ASA pilots negotiated. For now, the SkyWest pilots have none. For me, that difference is worth the dues. All the other benefits are icing on the cake.

You can be as happy as pilots at other regionals with ALPA! Ohh wait... that doesn't add up.

Crappier work rules, good bye to 2% of my check, and no more performance rewards. Sounds great! Total loss of over $5000 a year. Sign me up!

The 1 and ONLY benefit to ALPA is job protection. Keep your head below the radar and no one gets fired.

Last edited:
As an ALPA member with its safety and engineering dept., you become part of a professional organization that looks out for the betterment of the public.

You can be as happy as pilots at other regionals with ALPA! Ohh wait... that doesn't add up.

Enough of the rhetoric. This decision is too big to simply blow off.

ALPA doesn't make anyone happy or unhappy with their job. It only offers a layer of security.

Latest resources

Back