SkyWest Airlines Continues Coast to Coast Expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me rephrase.
Will all this growth and expansion will there be any additional pilot domiciles or growth in existing domiciles west of SLC?
All I see is growth on the backs of a pilot group that just voted their approval to be among the lowest paid CRJ 700 and CRJ 900 drivers in the industry.
In return for being cheap ho's you get a shot at being based in MKE. Now that's exciting if you're among the small subset of pilots wanting to live somewhere like that. Not much in it for the rest of the group, just a subpar scale that will probably make Mesa look like a good paying job in 2010.

If United or Delta isn't adding flights West of SLC, why would there be expansion? This deal with Midwest isn't 700's or 900's, so I don't know how you think it has anything to do with which way the pay vote went. Or would it be better to expand in TUS and have those crews fly the stuff in MKE and MCI. Dumbass.

Let's not group all Skywest pilots in that group, especially the Bro guys. I can't imagine any Bro driver in their right mind voted for this joke pay proposal that gave the Bro guys nothing.

What was it - 57%?
My comment was obviously directed at the crowd that voted for the deal.

If United or Delta isn't adding flights West of SLC, why would there be expansion? This deal with Midwest isn't 700's or 900's, so I don't know how you think it has anything to do with which way the pay vote went. Or would it be better to expand in TUS and have those crews fly the stuff in MKE and MCI. Dumbass.

I think you're the dumbass for not understanding the post.
There is no "coast to coast" expansion for pilot domiciles/growth.
How many pilots will be added to domiciles like PDX, SFO, FAT, LAX, and PSP for this "coast to coast expansion?"

Don't think the pay deal had something to with the deal? Sounds like you were one of the guys who thought a 1% raise for the 200 good thru 2010 is an accomplishment.

Let's not group all Skywest pilots in that group, especially the Bro guys. I can't imagine any Bro driver in their right mind voted for this joke pay proposal that gave the Bro guys nothing.

keep in mind that the brasilia fully loaded only carries 30 people..and its profitablity has a ceiling..its not cost effective to keep raising the brasilia's pay...i agree it sucks! but they can only be paid so much..first year pay is the same on both planes, and everyone has an opportunity to get off it

keep in mind that the brasilia fully loaded only carries 30 people..and its profitablity has a ceiling..its not cost effective to keep raising the brasilia's pay...i agree it sucks! but they can only be paid so much..first year pay is the same on both planes, and everyone has an opportunity to get off it

Since the FAA changed the weights 2 years ago, you're lucky if you can get 28 people on the Brasilia before hitting the zero fuel weight.

Gimme a farking break dude and lay off the crack pipe. The company is one of the most PROFITABLE airlines in the industry. Check the DOT stats regarding net proftis if you don't believe me. They could have easily afforded a token increase to the EMB crowd. We're only talking a few hundred thou. A drop in the bucket for a multi-billion dollar company.

Did you know that CEO pay for all industries increased 16% in 2006 and 30% in 2005? Like all other management teams SKYW management has not endured a 10 year payscale freeze like the Bro drivers have. The T-prop drivers should have been thrown a frciking bone.

If the airplane isn't profitable then park it.
Don't ask the pilots to subsidize the damn thing.

And if your line of thinking is correct why are the FA's that fly the Bro being offered an increase?

Enjoy that kool-aid son. Maybe some day you'll be able to think for yourself.

i agree it sucks! but they can only be paid so much..first year pay is the same on both planes, and everyone has an opportunity to get off it

Nope dweeb you're the one that sucks. Take off those kneepads and try finding some respect for yourself and the profession.

Do some research. Tell me how many EMB CA's currently working out of any west coast domicile (SAN, PSP, LAX, SBA, SBP, FAT, SFO, PDX) can hold a line or even reserve in the RJ without commuting to a different time zone?

This has got to be the stupidest rationalization for screwing the Bro guys/gals that I have ever seen. I agree you can get off it if you want but get this.....my fiancee took the first available upgrade to get his PIC time and CAN'T GET OFF IT FOR A YEAR! So, what's the excuse now?
LAME - A$$ -OLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't just hang Bro pilots out to dry because "they can get off the airplane". What about when enough people get off the airplane that some can't hold the jet? Then you'll use the seniority excuse?
THAT EXCUSE DOESN'T HOLD WATER AND FOR YOU AS A FELLOW PILOT TO RATIONALIZE IT THAT WAY MAKES ME THINK YOU ARE A PRIME CANDIDATE FOR MANAGEMENT!
LAME EXCUSE!

Nope dweeb you're the one that sucks. Take off those kneepads and try finding some respect for yourself and the profession.

Do some research. Tell me how many EMB CA's currently working out of any west coast domicile (SAN, PSP, LAX, SBA, SBP, FAT, SFO, PDX) can hold a line or even reserve in the RJ without commuting to a different time zone?

Now you are just being extreme. Instead of using the same old arguments about the lack of raise think outside of the box for a moment. Horizon, one of the best paid regionals out there pay their Dash 8 captains $77/year to top out. Skywest pays their Brasillia captains $68/hr to top out. The Dash 8 has 37 seats, the Brasillia has 30. Horizon pays their captains $2.08/seat/hr. Therefore based on current payscales horizon would pay $62/hr to top out with a 30 seat turboprop. I would say based on that the turbo prop drivers, based on number of seats are already at or near the top of the industry. Remember most turbo prop airlines fly a saab or a dash 8 which have more seats than the brasillia.

The brasillias usefullness has been tragically cut short due to the FAAs brilliant weight changes. In denver in the summer time the weight restrictions are simply a joke. It simply was not logical to give a major payraise to a dying fleet. Especially when they are already near the top of the industry in that regard. I wish for a raise for the brasillia guys, I do believe they will get one sometime in the next year or two. Perhaps then we will have new turboprops to replace the brosilla. As a whole we are not at the top of the industry with regards to pay nor are we at the bottom of the industry. I prefer to stay under the radar rather than having a huge top of the industry target on all our backs.

As long as we arent top of the industry I believe our jobs and growth chances are safe. The day we stop growing is the day we start dying. The FAs got a raise because of supply and demand. We can not hold on to FAs very long at all. There is still no pilot shortage. When there is a pilot shortage the market will take care of all of us.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back