• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Airlines Continues Coast to Coast Expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The T-prop drivers should have been thrown a frciking bone.

If the airplane isn't profitable then park it.
Don't ask the pilots to subsidize the dang thing.

And if your line of thinking is correct why are the FA's that fly the Bro being offered an increase?

Enjoy that kool-aid son. Maybe some day you'll be able to think for yourself.

1. Amen bro, amen! What would even 1% cost the company?

2. Exactly. They are always packed anyways and you can't fill it up. There are some routes they need to put the frigging RJ on already.

3. Yeah, WTF?

4. Hopefully, or he/she will just be the next company negotiator.

Now you are just being extreme. Instead of using the same old arguments about the lack of raise think outside of the box for a moment. Horizon, one of the best paid regionals out there pay their Dash 8 captains $77/year to top out. Skywest pays their Brasillia captains $68/hr to top out. The Dash 8 has 37 seats, the Brasillia has 30. Horizon pays their captains $2.08/seat/hr. Therefore based on current payscales horizon would pay $62/hr to top out with a 30 seat turboprop.

So why not apply your line of thinking to the RJ's?
Should an airplane that has 40% more seats, flies faster than a 200, and generates far more revenue offer something other than a tiny override?
Can't have it both ways NewWoman.

I wish for a raise for the brasillia guys, I do believe they will get one sometime in the next year or two.

There is still no pilot shortage. When there is a pilot shortage the market will take care of all of us.

Some of the EMB guys are already making a raise for themselves. I've heard a few on the radio decline direct routing. I've noticed taxi speeds are slower at some of the hubs. An FO told me some captains that used to push those PL's up a bit when behind schedule are flying the fuel conservation profile at all times.

In case you haven't noticed NewWoman the company can't fill RJ classes. Reportedly they were only able to muster 17 people to fill 70 slots. There is no shortage of pilots but the ones that have desirable qualifications are taking their skills to better paying carriers like QX and X-Jet or taking jobs outside the 121 world.

Did Mommy drop you on your head a few times or were you just born an ignorant puss?

Gotta run now kids. A certain gas guzzling 60's muscle car is in need of a tuneup.

Gimme a farking break dude and lay off the crack pipe. The company is one of the most PROFITABLE airlines in the industry. Check the DOT stats regarding net proftis if you don't believe me. They could have easily afforded a token increase to the EMB crowd. We're only talking a few hundred thou. A drop in the bucket for a multi-billion dollar company.

Okay, you are an investor with $1M. SkyWest's net profit margin over the last 12 months was 5.00%. The current E-Trade savings account pays 5.05% with ZERO risk. Where would you put your money? A high risk airline, or a ZERO risk savings account?

A "token increase" tips the scales considerably...

SkyWest (or any airline for that matter) is lucky to have the investors they do. They could easily get a higher return elsewhere.

(http://finance.google.com/finance?q=SKYW)

I think you're the dumbass for not understanding the post.
There is no "coast to coast" expansion for pilot domiciles/growth.
How many pilots will be added to domiciles like PDX, SFO, FAT, LAX, and PSP for this "coast to coast expansion?"

Don't think the pay deal had something to with the deal? Sounds like you were one of the guys who thought a 1% raise for the 200 good thru 2010 is an accomplishment.

If the flying were for 700's and/or 900's, then yes it would have something to do with the pay vote. Do you honestly think Midwest picked SkyWest solely on the pilot pay? Or were waiting to see how the vote went? You seem to have a real Jones about SkyWest and are looking for any reason to blame their pilots for anything and everything.

Some of the EMB guys are already making a raise for themselves. I've heard a few on the radio decline direct routing. I've noticed taxi speeds are slower at some of the hubs. An FO told me some captains that used to push those PL's up a bit when behind schedule are flying the fuel conservation profile at all times.

In case you haven't noticed NewWoman the company can't fill RJ classes. Reportedly they were only able to muster 17 people to fill 70 slots. There is no shortage of pilots but the ones that have desirable qualifications are taking their skills to better paying carriers like QX and X-Jet or taking jobs outside the 121 world.

Did Mommy drop you on your head a few times or were you just born an ignorant puss?

Gotta run now kids. A certain gas guzzling 60's muscle car is in need of a tuneup.

Hmmm going to QX or Xjet or SkyWest lets see how people are doing after 5 years. These numbers were equated using APC payscales, I added 6% to the xjet wages since they get a new raise soon. At horizon you will probably be reserve at least one year if not more. At Xjet and SkyWest I don't think reserve lasts that long. So lets take 3 RJ FOs one that started at SkyWest, one that started at XJet and one that started at horizon and see whos doing best after 5 years.

After 5 years at horizon your wages minus per diem would be about 213,660. This assumes one year reserve at minimum guarantee since I hear reserves don't fly much. 2nd year is assumed at 85 hours. 3rd year-5th is assumed at 90 hours.

After 5 years at xjet your wages would be 248,612. This assumes 85 hrs the first year(mix of reserve and line holder). 90 hours the second year. Upgrade at 3rd year pay and minimum guarantee(2 year upgrade). 4th year at 85 hrs and 5th year at 90 hours.

After 5 years at SkyWest your wages would be around 248,640 minus per diem and minus the bonus. This assumes 1st year pay at 85 hrs, 2nd year pay at 90 hours for the first 6 months and 2nd year capatin pay at guarantee for the last 6 months(18 month RJ upgrade). 3rdyear pay was at minimum guarantee, 4th year was at 85 hours and 5th was at 90 hours.

So who makes the best money again? Note this was computed based on todays circumstances, as always things can change but as of now your best shot is at skywest. Not only do you have a quick upgrade, lots of attrition to move up fast but you also have good pay. Especially when you add in the bonus you do better than those other two "better paying carriers. Then if you happen to be able to move on to a major or something else that has better pay then things worked out really well. Sure the majors aren't hiring like they used to but people still get hired there. Takes a bit longer than it used to. You should always make these type of analysis before decided where your best earning potential really is. As said many times before theres more to it than just the pay rates.

Especially when you add in the bonus you do better than those other two "better paying carriers.

If you actually did some research you would find that XJT has Profit Sharing that paid 5% last year and probably the same (if not more) this year. ....seems like you are doing a good job of convincing yourself that Skywest is the best in the world and you have superior pay. Get a life.

If you actually did some research you would find that XJT has Profit Sharing that paid 5% last year and probably the same (if not more) this year. ....seems like you are doing a good job of convincing yourself that Skywest is the best in the world and you have superior pay. Get a life.

No not superior pay just right up there with everyone else. Notice I didn't include bonus in either one. I'm simply backing up claims using hard data. I have no desire to be an industry leader in pay. Only competitive and right up there with everyone else.

You gotta give skywest some credit for having much better bases than xjet

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back