• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skyway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regional airline pay has always been low, and as long as the regionals are a stepping stone to bigger and better things, that will not change.
Stepping stone to what? Another regional with higher hiring minimums?

So now we got low pay to start, then lateral career moves to other regionals after the one year training contract obligation is met.

That's way cool...where do I sign up?

I never said anything about latteral moves. I have always thought that moving from regional to regional was a waste of time. Unless there is furlough or chapter 7 in the picture. Try to remember when flying for a regional was only a portion of the dream.

FN FAl: "So an expectation of getting paid well in a professional career is a negative view on the side?"

You are in the industry and thus have a better view of the ongoings of being a regional airline pilot. Thats cool. I respect that. But hey, would you not agree if a pilot doesn't like the pay its that pilot's decision to stay or leave. I was well aware as a teenager that $ in the regionals sucks, at least for awhile. Even in college and now grad school I see it, but I am willing to do somehting I love instead of making 40K plus easy to fly a desk a do excell spreadsheet! Everyone knows how the regionals operate and the $$$ with them. So what! Pay may suck and yes lateral moves might be good for a different airplane or maybe more money. Majors, yes are a long ways away, but hey if people don't like their pay, leave, go fly a desk I say.

Enjoy your job now even if money sucks cause their are guys like me waiting to fill your shoes in an airline.-- Pay not a factor

Fly safe

In addition, if you read my post I did not say "So an expectation of getting paid well in a professional career is a negative view on the side?" Those were two separate thoughts so interestingly combinded like Michael Moore would do to further a false claim.

Justino said:
Wow good to know that people in the industry compair their $ to other companies $s'. In the grand picture, I am happy to fly and get paid for it, I don't expect to make any $ until I am a captain at the majors, which will be a long ways away. I would suggest that people who read this post leave their negative views on the side and realize that some people will fly for food cause they have a real passion for it. Unlike some people who have been embittered by the career and its pay, flying is still the best job in the world. I would suggest that if people don't like the pay, then go work a desk job and get used to your next upgrade being a window and then maybe a few vaction days....

All in all pleae don't forget, to be flying-- not matter what airplane, is the best thing around. And yes Skyway has planes and they may not pay as good as your airline, so let it be,,, its not YOUR airline. Enjoy your job and don't rip on other peoples!

Safe flying
Newbie!

(Couldn't resist)

JetPilot_Mike said:
Newbie!

(Couldn't resist)
Although JetPilot may have a good point as does FN FAL, this quote by Justino is absolutely 100% right on.....

Unlike some people who have been embittered by the career and its pay, flying is still the best job in the world. I would suggest that if people don't like the pay, then go work a desk job and get used to your next upgrade being a window and then maybe a few vaction days....
Been there, done that! Almost every single person I know in a large corporation doesn't like their job. They may not hate it, but they're looking towards retirement at age 30. Sad. By the way, my window view was right down Runway 9-27 at BOS and I don't miss it one bit.

Mr. I.

Justino,

I respect your enthusiasm and wish you well, but trust me, your attitude will change after a few years in the biz. That's the real slap in the face of it all....it IS a great job once the door is closed, but the associated B.S. takes its toll.

I am enjoying it while I can!!!!! :)

Come on who did not love it when they first started!!!!

Dont worry, my time will come! hahhah

Take care and fly safe

How many people is Skyway putting in the pool? And if you are in the pool, does that guarantee a job?

I personally don't know how big the pool is but I **doubt** they would fill it too full but they're still interviewing regularly and I odn't think they have any classes planned until October(I think I read that on another thread but not sure). I think they're interviewing weekly so you have to figure that'sat least a few new poolies every week.

Wether it's Skyway or Southwest or anyone else, being in the 'pool' NEVER guarantees you a job. Tradtionally airlines have pulled people from the pool before hiring 'off the street' even if it takes years to empty the pool but there's never a guarantee. As a matter of fact the letter from Skyway states very clearly that it's not a job offer and there are no guarantees - I'd quote verbatim but I don't have my letter in front of me.

Also - just FYI - unlike some airlines Skyway is not a FIFO(First In First Out) pool. I was told they assign you points based on a number of factors - interview performance, experience, ratings, etc. - and when they schedule a class they pull people with the most points first which means that the guys with the lower qualifications could be in there for a while although it appears to me that with a few exceptions most everyone they're interviewing is basically at a similar level experience wise so it may not be much of a factor.

CL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back