Skydive airplane accident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bandit60

Don't know anything other than what I read, so if anyone has anymore information on this please post.

Skydiving plane crashes in DeLand, many aboard injured

JOE CREWS

Oct. 3, 2005
DELAND -- An aircraft carrying 10 skydivers crashed during takeoff this afternoon, injuring at least some of those on board, an official said.

Bob Hallett, president of the jump zone, said he didn’t have any details about why the plane crashed or how serious the injuries were. But reports from witnesses on the scene said 11 people were injured – all the skydivers aboard plus the pilot – and one of them was seriously hurt.

DeLand police spokesman Cmdr. Randy Henderson said the plane got about 50 feet off the ground, then banked and crashed.

The aircraft involved was an 11-passenger Pilatus single-engine turboprop registered to Vertical Air Inc., which is based in DeLand. The company owns three other aircraft.

That sucks. That's the same place where, earlier this year, an otter in descent hit a jumper under canopy taking his legs off below the knees and eventually killing him. Glad no one died this time.

I just caught the tailend of a report on Fox News. The pics showed the aircraft off the side of the runway...pretty banged up. Unfortunately I tuned in at the very end and didn't hear any talk, just saw the video.

awacs941 said:
http://www.wesh.com/news/5051667/detail.html#

Pics at the site.. I swear thats the second one in about 3-4 months.. Your not going to see me anywhere around that airport!
Yea, with 100 hours, I would stay away from any airport that has commercial traffic at it. You might hurt yourself...maybe even your passengers.

the problem with KDED is that it is SO close to ERAU, epic, and DCA that it is frequently used for training. as long as everyone plays along correctly, everything should be fine. but that doesn't always happen. i think DED is busy enough to warrant a control tower. it's pretty crazy in the pattern, and then toss in there 20 skydivers falling out of the sky, and it is a recipe for disaster. DED is a skydiving Mecca. glad to see no one died, just hope the pilot recovers 100%.

FN FAL said:
Yea, with 100 hours, I would stay away from any airport that has commercial traffic at it. You might hurt yourself...maybe even your passengers.
what do you mean? i barely have over 100 hours and i fly into airports big and small all the time, from KMCO to KSFB, KDAB, and KTPA to X47, 2J9, and X50. granted, they're not Newark or O'Hare, but they're still busy! as long as you stay ahead of the game, do your homework, and are a proficient pilot, you shouldn't have any problems. i haven't had any, knock on wood.

Latest resources

Back