Skydive airplane accident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cforst513 said:
what do you mean? i barely have over 100 hours and i fly into airports big and small all the time, from KMCO to KSFB, KDAB, and KTPA to X47, 2J9, and X50. granted, they're not Newark or O'Hare, but they're still busy! as long as you stay ahead of the game, do your homework, and are a proficient pilot, you shouldn't have any problems. i haven't had any, knock on wood.
Not you cforst, that guy that made the comment about not being competant enough to fly into a field that serves commercial flying services. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Believe me, when I'm flying jumpers I'll go way out of my way to get a pilot into or out of the airport if I can, but the other pilot's help goes a long way.

BushwickBill said:
Thel left wing got all wrapped up like a tuna can. Ground loop?
Considering the news article said there was a sputtering sound after the aircraft lifted off, I'm assuming low turn back to the field after engine failure or fuel exhaustion.

FN FAL said:
Considering the news article said there was a sputtering sound after the aircraft lifted off, I'm assuming low turn back to the field after engine failure or fuel exhaustion.

I'm curious how this "sputtering sound" will come into play. That particular pilatus is hooked up with a PT6A, which as you know is a three stage axial, single stage centrifugal compressor driven by a single stage reaction turbine.

IMO recips sputter, turbines whine so now I just wait for the NTSB prelim because evidentally the media is doing their typical reporting on sensationalism rather than actually gathering facts

moxiepilot said:
I'm curious how this "sputtering sound" will come into play. That particular pilatus is hooked up with a PT6A, which as you know is a three stage axial, single stage centrifugal compressor driven by a single stage reaction turbine.

IMO recips sputter, turbines whine so now I just wait for the NTSB prelim because evidentally the media is doing their typical reporting on sensationalism rather than actually gathering facts
So you're saying someone swaped out the PT-6 with a piston engine and now there is a big government conspiracy?

Over here on the east coast, (DUNN Airpark) I witness the jump school planes going through the cloud many times, through cloud layers and then see jumpers dropped through the clouds....this area is close to V-3 and we have alot of passing traffic, I have seen what looks to be close calls between jumper and these aircraft...I rarely hear any radio com from the jump plane....Also it seems to be a game to beat the jumpers back to the runway as the Caravan or King Air makes very steep spirling decents over the city...I can't help but notice them and wonder how long its to be before the wings come off one.....I doubt they are filing an IFR flight plan, and also wonder how long it will be before we have "Deland" type accident over here.

FN FAL said:
So you're saying someone swaped out the PT-6 with a piston engine and now there is a big government conspiracy?

Yes, exactly.:rolleyes:

My point was that the media never gets anything straight. How does a free turbine sputter? What really caused the accident?

I just get irritated with the media, they rarely do anything productive for society.

rvsm410 said:
Over here on the east coast, (DUNN Airpark) I witness the jump school planes going through the cloud many times, through cloud layers and then see jumpers dropped through the clouds....this area is close to V-3 and we have alot of passing traffic, I have seen what looks to be close calls between jumper and these aircraft...I rarely hear any radio com from the jump plane....Also it seems to be a game to beat the jumpers back to the runway as the Caravan or King Air makes very steep spirling decents over the city...I can't help but notice them and wonder how long its to be before the wings come off one.....I doubt they are filing an IFR flight plan, and also wonder how long it will be before we have "Deland" type accident over here.
i have noticed the same thing. in fact, when i was working on my private, i went from DAB to MLB for a solo X-C on V-3 and on the way back up 4 parachutes popped out of the clouds a few miles ahead of me. i immediately turned about 90 degrees left and went westbound, paying close attention to dunn. it too is an uncontrolled airport. dangerous. i was talking to ATC with VFR flight following, and i didn't hear a peep. i told ATC and also then monitored the CTAF freq for dunn to make sure no other jumpers were gonna show up unexpectedly 2 miles in front of me.

Funny story, though: when i was training for my instrument, i was getting ready to intercept the ILS at MLB. the female air traffic controller warned me about "multiple targets in the area". my reply? "uh, yes ma'am, i'll be keeping an eye out for skydivers". my instructor immediately died laughing and the ATC gal got back on, chuckling, and said "well. N9XXXX, there are no skydivers in the area, but keep looking! thanks for your help!" i guess i shouldn't think of skydivers as targets, eh? :D

moxiepilot said:
My point was that the media never gets anything straight. How does a free turbine sputter?
Fuel interuption or contamination would be my guess. The sputtering would occur because you take off with "ignition" on. Introduce enough air bubbles or contamination in the fuel supply and you'll get intermittant popping and surging, which the dictionary describes as "sputter".

Main Entry: 1sput·ter
Pronunciation: 'sp&-t&r
Function: verb
Etymology: akin to Dutch sputteren to sputter
transitive senses
1 : to spit or squirt from the mouth with explosive sounds
2 : to utter hastily or explosively in confusion or excitement
3 : to dislodge (atoms) from the surface of a material by collision with high energy particles; also : to deposit (a metallic film) by such a process
intransitive senses
1 : to spit or squirt particles of food or saliva noisily from the mouth
2 : to speak explosively or confusedly in anger or excitement
3 : to make explosive popping sounds
- sput·ter·er noun

Latest resources

Back