Skydive airplane accident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
Fuel interuption or contamination would be my guess. The sputtering would occur because you take off with "ignition" on. Introduce enough air bubbles or contamination in the fuel supply and you'll get intermittant popping and surging, which the dictionary describes as "sputter".

i disagree, but then again what do I know?

moxiepilot said:
i disagree, but then again what do I know?
Yea, maybe the sputtering sound was the stall horn going off? Latest news is saying there was no evidence of engine power loss.

The cause of the crash is unknown, and the Federal Aviation Administration is investigating, Henderson said.

"There has been no reported evidence of any loss of power [to the aircraft] at this time," said Benjie R. Coleman, an FAA investigator.

The Pilatus Porter is a "maneuverable and dependable aircraft," said Bruce Hart, a DeLand pilot and sky diver with 127 jumps.

PT6A, which as you know is a three stage axial, single stage centrifugal compressor driven by a single stage reaction turbine

Sorry to get technical, but someone else started it...

Not all PT-6 engines have a single stage reaction turbine. Many of the higher powered models have two stage hot sections, which may just, in the right conditions, make them more susceptible to sputtering.

Bonus points if my friend can fill me in on the purpose of the original turbine engine the PT-6 is based on and what consequences sputtering may have caused in this application.

moxiepilot said:
I'm curious how this "sputtering sound" will come into play. That particular pilatus is hooked up with a PT6A, which as you know is a three stage axial, single stage centrifugal compressor driven by a single stage reaction turbine.

IMO recips sputter, turbines whine so now I just wait for the NTSB prelim because evidentally the media is doing their typical reporting on sensationalism rather than actually gathering facts

Want even more confusion? The article says:

"Witnesses said they saw the plane sputter shortly after takeoff around 3:15 p.m. and crash onto the runway."

If you are curious how a turbine can "sputter", I am even more curious how one can "see" an aircraft "sputter".

was it an oil rig generator?
and maybe the sputtering was the prop tips hitting the dirt.

Hey, listen here jackasses.........

Don't be jumping to no conclusions as that is not the way professionals behave. :laugh:

It seems that in any aircraft accident where there is a witness, someone says they heard the thing "sputter". I personally have no idea how a turbine could, nor have I ever heard, a turbine sputter. But whatever...
As far as flying near dropzones goes, whenever you guys see that little parachute on the VFR sectional, steer clear. Especially the upwind side of the field. Also, many DZs monitor the published unicom freq for the field, and all should broadcast warnings prior to jump. But if you ignore it all, and fly right over a DZ on a Saturday afternoon, you shouldn't be surprised to see canopies deploying in your windshield. Nor should you be surprised when the jump plane chases you down...

re: the million or more discussions we have had on FI about accidents and the associated comments about not discussing the events:

here is my sodding opinion about it:

I don't think anything will ever stop people from discussing accidents. Such discussion is just human nature. You know; can't stop the gears from turning!
Yes, hearing something you know to be wrong or unproven can be aggravating. But you don't have to come here, and if you do, you don't have to listen.
Most of us just want to learn from the accident, so as to have something we can take home from it, to help keep ourselves safe. It is a primal fear all aviators live with; and the discussion is therapeutic in a way. For the most part, it is not an attempt to dis the people or pilots involved whatsoever. So what if someone guesses at a cause. If they make it clear they have no direct knowledge (hell, very few do in the early stages anyway) and they do not actively spreading rumors, I see no harm.

So you will never stop speculation, (much as I will never stop people from trying to censor the discussion!)

Lighten up! Breathe some Helium!

Skyboy722 said:
It seems that in any aircraft accident where there is a witness, someone says they heard the thing "sputter". I personally have no idea how a turbine could, nor have I ever heard, a turbine sputter. But whatever...
Uhhhh, Boy of the Sky, popping noises are easily defined under Merriam-Webster as "sputter". Just because you saw a plane appear to "sputter" in the movie "Fandango" it doesn't mean that all planes have to "sputter" exactly the same way.

Latest resources

Back