• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skybus Loads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spirit charges $8 fares to the Carribean, but they also charge $300+ for the return trip. I'd say it's marketing at it's best. But they're not bringing down the industry? Don't blame those who try to put food on the table. Look at your own company's management and see how they've made out compared to those in the trenches...

Blah, blah, blah Mr. Blue Aid...
Happy Turkey Day!

I think we all should just wait and see how Skybus and the likes will find their niche.

There is nothing wrong if they all become successful. It's like getting around in NYC: you can take a

1) bus or a subway (Skybus), or
2) a taxi cab (Southwest), or a
3) nice limo (Airtran, United, etc.) or a
4) luxury limo (MaxJet, etc.)

These services all coexist in NYC and have loyal customers. And I am sure the drivers don't hate each other.

So why should we???
:)

Well said..

and remember the wise old saying.. "Sell to the classes, live with the masses; sell to the masses, live with the classes"

Happy Thanksgiving.

$65,000 salaries don't last for ever.. not when millions start to roll in!

I will laugh (maybe cry?) when 5 years from now we have skybus pilots asking if it would be wrong for them to deny a jumpseat to the next lowest paying airline. What would stop pilots from flying an Airbus for Mesa rates (or less). It is just a matter of time if we don't work together to bring wages up. If Skybus pilots had any balls they would unionize on day one and start the contract negotiations countdown (e.g., mediation, strike, etc)

I no longer work at Mesa, but I made more there then any Skybus CA makes today.

P.S. Mesa Sucks

I would love to see the skybus financial reports. 80% is pretty good for a new airline but I doubt that they are even close to breaking even at $98 a barrel.

Toyota has been thought of in the same light, but you know what, their product kicks butt-- and so does ours...

Long live Jetblue!!!

I don't want to get into a pissing match of whose airline is better, and I only read this thread out of morbid curiosity... but you seem so kool-aided over yours so I have to comment. You, sir, are no Toyota. The ONLY reason people fly your airline is price: $60 to FL. Anybody can charge that much and fill up their planes; however, none will make any money doing so. All JBlu offers is TV and a cheap ticket. How is that a product worthy of comparison to the number one automobile company?

i got insight from my barber yesterday when he asked, "how do they operate those jets selling seats for ten bucs?" the ads have the public thinking all the seats are ten dollars. they assume they're cheap seats, so when they decide to travel, even if they don't get one, they'll most likely buy it anyway. it's kind of like Pavlov and the dog.(remember psyche 101)

All JBlu offers is TV and a cheap ticket. How is that a product worthy of comparison to the number one automobile company?

Because it's the best product in the industry. Well, I suppose VA has a better enterntainment system now. All leather seats, DirecTV, XMradio, most legroom. I know I sound like a commercial but that's where the comparison is.

Mmmm. Kool-aid taste good.

Well said..

and remember the wise old saying.. "Sell to the classes, live with the masses; sell to the masses, live with the classes"

Happy Thanksgiving.

$65,000 salaries don't last for ever.. not when millions start to roll in!

Hey S.S, how's the sweet Moots? It's riding season! You need to get that thing dirty, lol! Hear you're at Skybus, congrats. Hope things work out for all.

Gotta call ya out on one though. Care to reply to this quote you made a while back?

"Re-read this thread.. I don't think many here would have any sympathy for someone taking a job that pays those wages when the direct competition (Southwest, AirTran, and even JB) pay a lot more.. There has to be something done to police our own. I for one, will have very little inclination to hire anyone with Skybus on their resume should I have any say in it."

Saw a "useless air" jab you made that made me think. You included Southwest, AirTran, and even JB as companies that pay a lot more than Skybus. To add to that list, "Useless Air" also pays A LOT more than Skybus. Heck, a third year F/O on reserve at "Useless" (as I am) is making more than a Skybus Capt.

Not trying to stir the pot, but we all need help in this freaking industry, and rescent events are concerning.

I agree with your past quote, be VERY careful who you hire on with. A bad decision could be career suicide.

Hope you and your family are well, Happy Holidays.

KW

Last edited:
Hey S.S, how's the sweet Moots? It's riding season! You need to get that thing dirty, lol! Hear you're at Skybus, congrats. Hope things work out for all.

Gotta call ya out on one though. Care to reply to this quote you made a while back?

"Re-read this thread.. I don't think many here would have any sympathy for someone taking a job that pays those wages when the direct competition (Southwest, AirTran, and even JB) pay a lot more.. There has to be something done to police our own. I for one, will have very little inclination to hire anyone with Skybus on their resume should I have any say in it."

Saw a "useless air" jab you made that made me think. You included Southwest, AirTran, and even JB as companies that pay a lot more than Skybus. To add to that list, "Useless Air" also pays A LOT more than Skybus. Heck, a third year F/O on reserve at "Useless" (as I am) is making more than a Skybus Capt.

Not trying to stir the pot, but we all need help in this freaking industry, and rescent events are concerning.

I agree with your past quote, be VERY careful who you hire on with. A bad decision could be career suicide.

Hope you and your family are well, Happy Holidays.

KW

K, short answer, I've had a change of heart. People are allowed to change their mind. I like many of the sheep on here went with the majority view on a company I knew nothing about. I then decided to ACTUALLY do my own research on it. This company has by far the best chance to be the next SWA in the industry.. I'm home every night, and I get more days off than I've ever had before.. I earn more in my 2nd and 3rd year than all but a small handful of airlines and I get a serious amount of stock options. More over, the DO himself stated he's working very hard to raise wages, and the Teamseters are already knocking on the door to make sure of it. Any one who thinks $65K/yr will last more than a couple of years is either an idiot, or naive.. This isn't Swift! This pace has ex major airline guys crawling all over it.. they're their for a good pay day, not $65K That's just short sighted to see that and fixate on it.

Now, you know me personally and you know I believe in our profession, but I also think this company has great potential, and frankly am offended that guys are so quick to judge them. In my class, and in prior classes are dozens of USAir, Delta, Northwest and other legacy pilots.. some of them captains when they left.. this places isn't just hiring bottom feeders and guys that can't work at the "majors". My group down here in Miami at Airbus is has ex-Jet Blue, Spirit (now our assistant CP), Kitty Hawk CA's, A USAir 25 year CA, two Military guys (one my sim partner), and two RJ Check Airman, and others I'm forgetting. And don't forget our CP is Chris Graze former USAir (East) CP.. we're not a bunch of amateurs that can't land a "Real" job..

Time will tell who's right, but frankly I don't care what some odd case ass is going to think of me at my next job interview (that I frankly hope to never see) and so I'm moving forward with my career.

Worse case I do have American I can go back to (just talked to my contact there and he said hiring should start by early '09).. but I don't expect that to happen.

BTW.. your pal S W is interviewing at Skybus tomorrow.. maybe you want to bust on him too?

The Moots is doing great in the hands of my good friend JP while he sits on reserve at UAL in Denver. I'm lending it to him while I settle into my new residence in Columbus or Greensboro.

Regards

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back