• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skinny on ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the food you can afford on your per diem comes out so clean you don't need tp to wipe... so that is a plus

ASA is having some major pains right now. We are loosing about a pilot a day. They are going to all of the usual suspects, with DAL leading the pack.
On top of that we are having issues getting people trained and back on line. That should clear up in a month or so as more instructors come on line, but only if they do not keep loosing them.
There really is no growth to speak of. Rumors are rampant about a 40% reduction in our DCI flying once DAL comes out of court protection. It is a rumor but it is coming from many different area. We have lost many 10+ year guys, and even some 18 year ones to start at SWA or other places. It was much like this last time the contract was dragged too far. We have a meeting with the National Mediation Board in early April, and we will see where this goes. I would say that something needs to happen or this place will literally fade away.
I think that your upgrade here will be a quicker one than people are saying, but it can change at a moments notice. If we loose 20 aircraft and people stop leaving then it may be longer than it is now. If we keep our aircraft and people continue to leave I would say two to three years tops. A lot of the pilots that we are hiring do not have the ICAO mins and may actually get bypassed when their number come up. Basically it is anyones guess.
My suggestion is to look at places that the majors like to do business with these days. SKW and CHQ are on the top of that list. Best of Luck.

Run from ASA as fast as you can. This place is in serious trouble. Last upgrades went to folks hired in mid 2002. It's true we've lost about 80 people since Jan 1. but I dont' think the upgrade is going to get much shorter. The ATR's are going away and if we lose any more A/C I don't think down grades would be out of the question.

Bottom line, don't look at the current upgrade time anywhere. Look at what the company is going to do and that will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Also consider some place that you are willing to move to. Commuting makes this a totally different job.

Avoid ASA for several big reasons:

1) When we lose our Delta S3/S2 pass priority, we travel S3C. Forget about commuting, and forget about practical use of "free flights on Delta", as camping out at airports for 3 days is the way S3C goes nowadays. It's just a buddy pass.....Delta parents/retirees all get a seat before you.

2) No commuting means living in Atlanta. NOBODY likes Atlanta. Spend a few days there, you'll see.

3) Upgrades, now at 5 years, will likely stretch to 10 or more as Skywest whipsaws our growth as punishment for contract negotiations.

If being an Atlanta-based 10 year regional F/O and buying airline tickets for vacations is what you have in mind, by all means, send in your app. today!

Avoid ASA for several big reasons:

1) When we lose our Delta S3/S2 pass priority, we travel S3C. Forget about commuting, and forget about practical use of "free flights on Delta", as camping out at airports for 3 days is the way S3C goes nowadays. It's just a buddy pass.....Delta parents/retirees all get a seat before you.

2) No commuting means living in Atlanta. NOBODY likes Atlanta. Spend a few days there, you'll see.

3) Upgrades, now at 5 years, will likely stretch to 10 or more as Skywest whipsaws our growth as punishment for contract negotiations.

If being an Atlanta-based 10 year regional F/O and buying airline tickets for vacations is what you have in mind, by all means, send in your app. today!

I agree with everything PAPA said.

And how is flying S3C on Delta any different from any other DCI carrier (CMR being the exception)?

Rumors are rampant about a 40% reduction in our DCI flying once DAL comes out of court protection. It is a rumor but it is coming from many different area.

I don't believe this for a second. First, if DAL were to do anything they would do it before they left BK because they can void contracts at will. Second, if DAL were to remove 40% of ASA's flying, the only way that SkyWest would agree is if they took over the flying. With all the growth at SkyWest right now, they don't have the capacity to replace 40% of ASA's flying. Finally, giving a large chunk of ASA's flying to SkyWest would completely violate the whipsaw principle... the only way it works is if the two airlines are kept roughly the same size and played off each other. If SkyWest is built up to 2-3x the size of ASA, how does that play the airlines off each other?

Latest resources

Back