• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SJS - The Career Killer (tv spot)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im bustin as$ cleaning planes for steller flight time and Im not looking hard at any regionals. There seems to be better paying 135 gigs out there that actually appeal to me more than SJS. I ferry planes not instruct (although occasionaly I sign off someones logbook) and I am happy everyday to even have a pilot job. My goal is to land that dream job making bank and living somewheres warm. I am a survivor of SJS. Until my 1000 hours comes around.

Bankangle said:
Stick with it. I did the ramp/flightline for years. One of the best ways to get started in this career and in my opinion probably the most rewarding.. You can trully say that you have been in everyones shoes involved with the operation. From tasting glycol during deiciing in a blowing snow storm to getting dumped on from a failed dougnut plug on a lav service or handling angry pax for what ever reason..I've done it. Flying a heavy now and on long flights when I reflect upon the past, I will smile knowing that I trully have made it to the top from the very bottom.

Also the ones that have been there will back me up on this... doing the commuter/turboprop thing, 8hrs/day 8-10 legs a day, no autopilot or moving map or efis... to challenging destinations with unpredictable wx.. Sets a foundation for your career that is unparalleled.

P.S.
We use to walk to work uphill in 3ft of snow also;)

Best of Luck
Thank you,

I have paid my dues with fuel trucks, snow shovels, and crappy de-ice equipment. If I get hired by a regional at 500 hrs., I have earned it. I spent 10 years in the trenches putting up with the lose nuts behind the yokes. Hauling spark plugs to Detroit on a statistic is not the only way to put in your time.

PDH said:
Thank you,

I have paid my dues with fuel trucks, snow shovels, and crappy de-ice equipment. If I get hired by a regional at 500 hrs., I have earned it. I spent 10 years in the trenches putting up with the lose nuts behind the yokes. Hauling spark plugs to Detroit on a statistic is not the only way to put in your time.

I'm not sure if your going to be too stoked making 20k and living close to a big airport in a big pricey city. If you get hired with 500 hours its at least going to be 1500 hours of flying before you upgrade. Most likely thats on the low end.

Throughly enjoyed the post. I wonder if there will be an "Instant CFI" infomercial in our future. "Just add $30,000 and voila!"

PDH said:
If I get hired by a regional at 500 hrs., I have earned it. I spent 10 years in the trenches putting up with the lose nuts behind the yokes.

No one deserves that kind of treatment!

-Goose

Latest resources

Back