SJS - The Career Killer (tv spot)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sam Snead said:
If hiring CFIs into Regional Jets is the problem, I see solutions.

Second, do a thorough sim check at the interview. Not just an ILS.

I don't know, man. Being a masterful Frasca jockey doesn't strike me as being a great indicator of anything other than knowing how to fly a sim.

Lots of 500-hour University/Academy flight instructors can fly the hell out of a Frasca.

k_EAT=ho_ME said:
I don't know, man. Being a masterful Frasca jockey doesn't strike me as being a great indicator of anything other than knowing how to fly a sim.

Lots of 500-hour University/Academy flight instructors can fly the hell out of a Frasca.

True dat. I agree that the Frasca masters will pass their interview sim ride with Skywest, Express Jet, etc.

The truth will come out when they go to the motion sim, though, right? I hope so. Well, about a zillion people with only Duchess or Seminole backgrounds have made it through RJ training so maybe my theory is completely off.

As an interviewer, I would still like to see something on the resume other than flight instructing or renting a twin. SOMETHING! ANYTHING! CROPDUSTING! SOMETHING!

I agree 100%. If i'm an interviewer i'm looking for some professional development.

I dont want to see any "entitlement" from someone who'se never flown anything bigger than a Seminole. I'd like to see that they made an effort to find work flying -- charter, VFR freight, banner towing, mapping, traffic -- SOMETHING.

Then, when they have 1200 hours, i'd like to see them make the jump to 135 passenger or freight. Lets see them make command decisions. Fly in all the weather. Make decisions.

Then i'd like to see some turboprop experience. Anything. A Kingair, a 1900, a Metro, a Jetstream -- SOMETHING to introduce them to higher speed, higher altitude higher altitude operations.

Sorry guys. The commuters used to take care of that by having at least a FEW TPs on the property. The Bandit, the Saab, the Brasillia...SOMETHING.

THEN -- after a few years of actually bridging the gap between 100 knots in the traffic pattern and 400+ KTAS in the flight levels -- THEN I believe they would be an asset and not a liability to the captains they fly with.

More importantly they would be much less likely to fall victim to SJS because they would have EARNED their position. When you work for something, you're more apt to appreciate it.

Just like those kids whose dadddy bought them a car that they promptly trashed -- the kids whose daddy wrote a check for Comair Academy (or any of the others) have a similar disregard for the career with which they've been entrusted.

We are custodians of the airline pilot profession people. It's not ours to destroy. It is ours to maintain or improve for the next generation.

BenderGonzales said:
I dont want to see any "entitlement" from someone who'se never flown anything bigger than a Seminole. I'd like to see that they made an effort to find work flying -- charter, VFR freight, banner towing, mapping, traffic -- SOMETHING.

It is amazing the amount of pilots that want to jump right into some kind of ERJ commuter operation. As a low time pilot approaching the crossroads of PFT or paying dues, I find it hard to understand the appeal of jumping past all the fun stuff (CFI, hauling cargo in the middle of the night, handflying an old TP, etc.). IMO, once you're at a regional you're stuck there for awhile doing boring routes like CVG - ATL for eternity with pissed off employees and passengers. How could that be more desirable than hauling freight in the Northwest, charters in CA, or air ambulance in AK? I was on a Comair flight from CAK - CVG last week in a SJ and it didn't look that fun to me...

Great read, Bender.

And so true.

But, I have a problem, too; and so far no one's been able to help me: Where the hell are those damn ailerons on my airplane? This is driving me nuts!

If I don't find them soon, I'll have to go to work for a regional and take a paycut, that is more than those guys pay in taxes.

Somebody, please, tell me, where are my ailerons?!

I read that 3 times before I looked at your profile. MU2 joke, right? right? (confused)

On another subject. If you guys want to copy that and send it to the far corners of the aviation industry (IBT website, university alumni association, ALPA hotel committee folks, etc.) thats fine. But at LEAST give credit where credit is due.

Add the following line:

Written and directed by Bender Gonzales
Director of Marketing and Community Affairs
Organization for the Elimination of Fuzzy Airline Mascots

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back