• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SIRIUS satellite

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just got Sirius for Howard Stern and the reception absolutely sucks. It sucks in the car too. I even tried all the antenna placement tricks, nothing seemed to help. I think you must have to be on top of a mountain somewhere or out in Kansas, even then walking in front of the receiver would probably screw up the signal.

XM works great in all airliners. I would recommend bringing the "home antenna" into the cockpit. That way you don't have to find a Southern sky. It's a little bulky, but worth it.

vetrider said:
I just got Sirius for Howard Stern and the reception absolutely sucks. It sucks in the car too. I even tried all the antenna placement tricks, nothing seemed to help. I think you must have to be on top of a mountain somewhere or out in Kansas, even then walking in front of the receiver would probably screw up the signal.

I've had Sirius for close to two years (and two receivers) and haven't had any serious reception issues, except that it didn't work in my basement. If you put the antenna on the roof of your car it should work fine. Maybe you have a faulty antenna, or receiver.

Can you guys give me the pros and cons between XM and Sirrius plans? I asked my wife to get me a portable Sirrius for Christmas, so I can listen to Howard, but she is having a hard time finding an affordable one. I don't really want it for the plane, but for walks and in the car it would be nice. Which plan is better, more affordable, and will I have to give up listening to Howard? Thanks.

Im almost positive that the only portable sirius radio is really just an mp3 player that you can record sirius radio with and then take it on the road and listen to what you've recorded. I have yet to find one that you can just take wherever and listen. I know XM has it. If someone knows of a portable sirius I would love to know about it.

sirrius doesn't have a true myfi like xm has. What sirrius has is a mp3 like device that records a couple of hours 5 of content and then you can play it back. it has no live play capabilities.

They are just coming out with one that can play back live but xm has had it for over a year and a half. This is where I believe that XM is far superior to Sirrius because of their technology investment. Xm's goal is to have more and more portable units so that a listener can go from his car to the track and back.

The technology in the way music is delivered is different too. Sirrius uses orbiting figure 8 satelites while which gives you a greater coverage. Up into canada and into south america keeping antenna placement is harder because the satelites are constantly moving.

XM uses a geo stationary pair of satelites one rock and the other one called roll. They also have third non active up there as backup. XM gives antenna aiming easier time because you just have to point it towards the southern sky. Also when you get into cities satelite on both companies reception will suck. This is where XM has spent millions and millions. XM has set up ground repeaters in cities so that even though you can't see the sky you are still getting a signal. Sirrius doesn't do this and it is sirously lacking in this area.

A lot of times when i'm in the cities and check my signal strenght i'll have full bars on a terrestial signal and none from satelite. Thus knowing that xm repeaters are doing a good job.

Another interesting thing with the myfi. Xm's portable radio is that it has a radio transmiter in it. What i'll usually do is throw it in a rental car and throw the antenna on the dash. I'll then set the FM radio transmitter to 107.7 then tune the car radio transmitter to that freq. Now i'm enjoying xm in my rental car without any wires. I mgiht use the car adapter if power gets a little low.

Hope this helps. check out
www.xmfan.com
www.xm411.com

XM may have the technology, but Sirius has the programming. I have both because dish network now gives you XM for music. But their music still doesn't compare to Sirius music. Also XM sports SUCKS! Baseball and NASCAR. Woo Eeee!!! Sirius has all college, NFL, and NBA. Hands down better. But most importantly, XM does not and never will have HOWARD STERN! The only reason needed.

XM has opie and anthony. Hooo Hoo howie can suck it. He was god like 10 years ago now when he has a public appearance the police don't even come out. he used to get whole city blocks cordoned off.

Opie and Anthony has the homless shopping spree, egg nog chugging contest 70 double shots was the record and anybody that has the baloon knot in St. Pats is fine with me.

Seriously though hoo hoo sold out his whole staff for a 500 million dollar deal. Gotta love a man of integrety. I hope his daughter gets the Hi V. :)

punchin out

Diesel said:
Seriously though hoo hoo sold out his whole staff for a 500 million dollar deal. Gotta love a man of integrety. I hope his daughter gets the Hi V. :)

punchin out

What are you talking about? He's taking his whole staff with him. At least that's what he said on 60 minutes last night.

Latest resources

Back