Sirius Radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OUPilot

Anyone tried the new Sirius Stiletto (portable) in the cockpit? Just curious if it works well, or not at all. Please don't turn this into a debate about listening to music in the cockpit. All of the people who listen to music, great, all of the people who don't, great.

I only know of one guy who tried it and it didn't work. I don't know why. He returned it.

Not sure about the portable units, but I use an XM Roady in the CRJ. The stock antenna is a p.o.s and will not pick up sattelite unless heading south. I bought an external antenna, I think it's called a "home" antenna, and I can get signal about 95% of the time regardless of heading. I just put it on top of the ashtray facing forward and it usually pulls full signal. Remember, the sats are in the southwest sky, so ideally you should position the anttenna accordingly. XM also has terrestrial repeaters on the ground so that helps also. Radio Shack has all the junk you would need to pipe it straight to your headset.
I think I spent about ten bucks for a cable and headset splitter. And the extra antenna was about 20 bucks. Sirius has the same stuff at the same price as XM, so it should all work for ya.

Last edited:
Sirius satellite technology is a little different that XM. XM uses 2 geostationary satellites that essentially stay in the same relative position, which is why your best signal is facing the southern sky. Sirius uses three satellites in an elliptical orbit, which ensures that at least one is over the US at all times. I suspect that means that the best aiming position will differ from day-to-day. In my experience this is true. The antenna on my car always gets a good signal, but sometimes I have to move the antenna in my house to get a good sigal. Of course I haven't used the Sirius in the cockpit, though I'm considering buying the Stiletto to do just that (not in flight of course;)). I'm not sure how it would work.

The new stelleto is a POS. I have a S50 and it works great in the plane, I throw the car antenna on the dash and walla! Just keep in mind that antenna has a huge magnet on it, so keep it away from the mag compass.

I got XM for Christmas and love it. Cant wait to try it in the cockpit.

The new stelleto is a POS. I have a S50 and it works great in the plane, I throw the car antenna on the dash and walla! Just keep in mind that antenna has a huge magnet on it, so keep it away from the mag compass.

Please elaborate....I gave my spouse a s100 for christmas. It sounded like a winner especially the wi-fi ability. Only drawback from the manual is no record from internet streaming. Please explain what the problems are before I find them.

Latest resources

Back