• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single-pilot jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was told, at last 525 recurrent, that if it's your first type you are limited to flying with a typed SIC for so many hours. It's like an IOE.I forget the number but was not small.

25 hours, IIRC...61.63 is the applicable FAR. Besides, insurance would at least that much "mentoring" before cutting somebody loose as PIC anyway, probably 50-100 hours and maybe more for a pilot with little multi/turbine experience.

Yea, this week I am the "boss" but that can change month to month like most contract labor. Cj3 would be nice, but I've heard the citation V is single-pilot and affordable. It sounds as if the insurance is based on the experience level and value of the aircraft. When these guys decide exactly what they want I will have around 500 twin time with 300 turbine so hopefully I will qualify for either jet. They want to spend about $2 million range

You are god! The "iceman" of corporate aviation with your 500/300 hours!! You are ready to fly the retired Space Shuttle!!

Ahhhh I can see it now...your tombstone will read as follows: "before i balled this thing up and killed myself, I saved the millionaire owner 45k in salary for a SIC." Meanwhile your family and your bosses family will be grieving the death of their family member because you were selfish and arrogant. Enjoy yourself!

You are god! The "iceman" of corporate aviation with your 500/300 hours!! You are ready to fly the retired Space Shuttle!!

Ahhhh I can see it now...your tombstone will read as follows: "before i balled this thing up and killed myself, I saved the millionaire owner 45k in salary for a SIC." Meanwhile your family and your bosses family will be grieving the death of their family member because you were selfish and arrogant. Enjoy yourself!

Blow it out ur a$$ there maverick!!!!

And um a$$clown, I'm looking 2-5 years down the road not the first year. I WILL have a co-pilot with a crapload of hours for the first year. Lets not make this personal huh sunny!!!

And um a$$clown, I'm looking 2-5 years down the road not the first year. I WILL have a co-pilot with a crapload of hours for the first year. Lets not make this personal huh sunny!!!

What you really need, sparky, is a CAPTAIN with a crapload of hours. My guess, if your employer is smart enough to make the kind of bread to buy one of these things, he's going to want someone with enough EXPERIENCE to fly it safely and be INSURABLE.

Sparky huh? I actually meet the insurance requirements now with my TOTAL time. You must be one of those old crusty pilots that have more hours than sense. You Go through level 5 t-storms because you did it back in 85 and it worked out okay or go down to zero zero cause your just that good!!! Now I see why pilots are a commodity to those millionaires that some fly for. Whether it be commerical or corporate, there are alot of a-hole know it alls that make the rest of us normal humble pilots look bad. I'm done asking any rational question on this site. Most of you on here are bitter about your jobs, your 3 divorces and your kids you never see. It gets old and from some of the attitudes on here, probably deserve it. I wasn't given anything in this industry. Hell I'm probably older than most of the posters, but I'm happy what I'm doing. Even if is flying a jet, turboprop or how I got here, flight instruction.

Hell I'm probably older than most of the posters

Older, close to zero experience, and most shockingly demonstrative: little or no education to speak of. Your posts are seething with all-manner of grammatical and cognitive offenses.

You'd be well-advised to consider the opinions of those whom do this for a living, Brightspark.

Just a couple of points, the military, USAF version of the Sabre 40, the T-39 was a single pilot aircraft, it also had no auto-pilot, no radar and no anti-skid.

The Lear 24 was originally designed as a single pilot aircraft. Bill Lear tried every trick in the book to receive FAA approval for a single pilot certificate, even to the point the MGTOW was under 12,500 lbs, to no avail.

In my opinion, as all turbo-prop aircraft, under 12.5, are single pilot certified, I really see no reason that this new generation of very light jets cannot be as well.

However, personally I believe that any business jet or turbo-prop that operates in any high traffic density aircraft area should have two pilots. There are times that the work load in a Kingair 200 is much higher than in standard medium business jet that requires two pilots.

Bottom line, cheaper is not always better.

Most of the time,one pilot is fine.Its for those other times when a second pilot would be nice.

Latest resources

Back