Single pilot in 2 pilot aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cxcap said:
Isn't it possible to get "checked out" (or something to that effect) by the FAA to fly single pilot in an aircraft requiring two pilots? It seems I remember reading one time that if you show that you could handle the aircraft by yourself there was some way around the 2 pilot requirement. The reason I ask is because I'm planning on buying either a Citation X or a BBJ and I want to be able to fly it myself.
Cxcap...
I think that you've confused the regulations - two single-engine rated pilots can fly a twin so long as one of the pilots only operates the left engine and the other pilot only operates the right. Under this provision of the FARs, you and another private pilot buddy could fly your BBJ, but you still wouldn't be able to fly it single-pilot.

The single-pilot provision applies to corporate and airline pilots who operate long-range aircraft. It states that married pilots who are gone away from home long enough and often enough will eventially become single pilots.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
The single-pilot provision applies to corporate and airline pilots who operate long-range aircraft. It states that married pilots who are gone away from home long enough and often enough will eventially become single pilots.

'Sled

LMAO!

Wow!

Hey Look! It's John Travolta on flinfo!

Who else could afford a BBJ?

cxcap said:
Isn't it possible to get "checked out" (or something to that effect) by the FAA to fly single pilot in an aircraft requiring two pilots? It seems I remember reading one time that if you show that you could handle the aircraft by yourself there was some way around the 2 pilot requirement. The reason I ask is because I'm planning on buying either a Citation X or a BBJ and I want to be able to fly it myself.

Yes, you can fly ANY 2 pilot aircraft single pilot....as long as you get yourself an Otto-Pilot. Shirley not required.

Lead Sled said:
Cxcap...
I think that you've confused the regulations - two single-engine rated pilots can fly a twin so long as one of the pilots only operates the left engine and the other pilot only operates the right. Under this provision of the FARs, you and another private pilot buddy could fly your BBJ, but you still wouldn't be able to fly it single-pilot.

What if he only flew it on one engine? Could he fly single-pilot then?

P-Dawg_QX said:
What if he only flew it on one engine? Could he fly single-pilot then?
Why yes, I think he could. But he'd have to leave the ignition key for the other engine on the ground - just in case he was tempted to do something stupid and start up the other engine when nobody was looking.

'Sled

aeronautic1 said:
...you should be fine. I believe that you need to have five stripes on your shoulder boards/jacket though. Check your FARs (Federal Air Regulations) on that.
Looked it up already. It's 7 stripes. 4 (capt.) + 3 (F.O.). They may grant a waiver if you purchase both sets of shoulderboards and wear them both on each shoulder, as the 7 stripe shoulderboards are backordered.

LAXSaabdude.

Currently. the only two pilot jet that can be flown by one pilot is the CE-500 (Cessna Citation 500) through an exemption. Cessna and Boeing have no plans for an exemption for the CE-750 and BBJ.

The Lear 23 was supposed to be certified single-pilot but the FAA never approved it. Check out the gear handle position on the left side of the panel in the early Lears.

The early Citations had a SP option. When I took my ride for my CE-500 rating the examiner told me I had to do the single pilot ride since I was there with an SP. So, no restriction on my certificate like many others have.

LOL, these posts are great! :D

The last company I worked at flew Citations (S/550 and 560) single pilot. I flew right seat a bunch of times, but eventually my boss determined that it was better to have an unskilled passenger riding up front than another pilot. Good heavens, wouldn't want ANOTHER pilot up there, the world might end! Oh well, on to better things! Haha!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back