Single-Engine Climb requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

For Small, non-transport 135 aircraft, (King Air 90, 200, Baron, etc), do you have to have single-engine climb gradient performance? If so, can you direct me to the reg? I can't find it anywhere!!! My flight dept is split. I understand you have to meet the requirements on takeoff-but do you have to make sure you can make the climb single engine? I would also agree it would be a good idea to make sure you can meet it. Thanks.

There's an altitude between 5,999 and 6,001' at which you need to show a climb. I can't remember what that altitude is though. There's also something to do with an MEA along the airway on which you're flying too but I can't remember what MEA stands for so I guess I'm not much help.

yeah, I know about that enroute climb which I believe is climb 50 ft/min to 5000' or the MEA whichever is higher. But I'm refering to the climb performance to clear obstacles while departing an airport in which takeoff minimums are prescribed- as in more than 200 ft/NM.

yeah, I know about that enroute climb which I believe is climb 50 ft/min to 5000' or the MEA whichever is higher. But I'm refering to the climb performance to clear obstacles while departing an airport in which takeoff minimums are prescribed- as in more than 200 ft/NM.

Simply put, no. Non-transport category aircraft do NOT have to meet those requirements that larger, TRANSPORT category aircraft do.

The 50 fpm climb at 5,000MSL or at the MEA is all that's required.

Therefore, there's no reg that shows this.

Here is your answer, Part 135.181

§ 135.181 Performance requirements: Aircraft operated over-the-top or in IFR conditions.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, no person may—
(1) Operate a single-engine aircraft carrying passengers over-the-top; or
(2) Operate a multiengine aircraft carrying passengers over-the-top or in IFR conditions at a weight that will not allow it to climb, with the critical engine inoperative, at least 50 feet a minute when operating at the MEAs of the route to be flown or 5,000 feet MSL, whichever is higher.
(b) Notwithstanding the restrictions in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, multiengine helicopters carrying passengers offshore may conduct such operations in over-the-top or in IFR conditions at a weight that will allow the helicopter to climb at least 50 feet per minute with the critical engine inoperative when operating at the MEA of the route to be flown or 1,500 feet MSL, whichever is higher.
(c) Without regard to paragraph (a) of this section, if the latest weather reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate that the weather along the planned route (including takeoff and landing) allows flight under VFR under the ceiling (if a ceiling exists) and that the weather is forecast to remain so until at least 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival at the destination, a person may operate an aircraft over-the-top.
(d) Without regard to paragraph (a) of this section, a person may operate an aircraft over-the-top under conditions allowing—
(1) For multiengine aircraft, descent or continuance of the flight under VFR if its critical engine fails; or
(2) For single-engine aircraft, descent under VFR if its engine fails.
[Doc. No. 16097, 43 FR 46783, Oct. 10, 1978, as amended by Amdt. 135–20, 51 FR 40710, Nov. 7, 1986; Amdt. 135–70, 62 FR 42374, Aug. 6, 1997]

yeah, I've read 135.181(a)(2) before and it appears as just that...climb at 50'ft/min at the MEA's, but not anything that lists and obstacle departure from the airport. Thanks guys!

For Small, non-transport 135 aircraft, (King Air 90, 200, Baron, etc), do you have to have single-engine climb gradient performance? If so, can you direct me to the reg? I can't find it anywhere!!! My flight dept is split. I understand you have to meet the requirements on takeoff-but do you have to make sure you can make the climb single engine? I would also agree it would be a good idea to make sure you can meet it. Thanks.

14 cfr 23 will have your answer for non-transport category a/c.. 23.65/23.66/23.67

Latest resources

Back