Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot_Ryan

Tiller Twirler
Headed for Simuflite (Dallas) for HS125-700 initial training (getting the HS125 type, woo-hoo.) Anyone have any tips, from hotels to restaurants to schedules to studying... got all the Simuflite stuff at my house and have been studying it for about 3 weeks. Lay it on me...

The Harvey Hotel is a good bet. They put the 3 week guys in executive suites for a very fair price. The restaurant is OK, the hotel serves Sarbucks in the morning (gratis), and the sports bar serves diner until mid-night and you might need that a few times. Otherwise, the Saltgrass Steakhouse is good, as well as many other restaurants along 121 just north of the airport.

TransMach

dont overstudy.

get out of the hotel for some good food and drinks.

exercise, go to to a movie, walk around the mall or the bass pro shop, go observe the never-ending supply of white trash...whatever...just be sure to balance out the 3 weeks and break up the reading / studying.

Initials basically $uck. Its not hard and heavy at all...chances are you will find it can be easily done in 2 weeks, so take it easy and pace yourself.

Dont stress out on the airplane numbers/systems. Spend more time on the checklists, memory items, cockpit flows, be comfy and know where switches are...

Good Luck! - nothing better than finishing the last day of intital!!

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites there. Not terrible but very noisy especially weekends when the families of 14 swarm the farkin place seeking the free beer and buffet...also stayed at the residence Inn on the north side -- not much better but you have your own kitchen..

Last edited:
I stayed at the Harvey Hotel last year. Nice place.

I leave again this Thursday for Westwind recurrent. This time I am staying at the Harvey Suites. I managed to find a direct flight, US Air, PHL to DFW plus hotel for 5 nights for $499.00. It does not make any sense, but I got it through Hotwire. Just the airfare on Cheaptickets was running around $700 to 800 bucks and the hotel is like $80 a night or something @ the Simuflite rate.

Gulfstream 200 said:
Initials basically $uck. - nothing better than finishing the last day of intital!!
You can say that again!

I just got done with a 22 day Gulfstream V Initial... Couldn't wait for that to be over... Was my first initial in 7 years, and hopefully my last for a long while!

Falcon Capt said:
You can say that again!

I just got done with a 22 day Gulfstream V Initial... Couldn't wait for that to be over... Was my first initial in 7 years, and hopefully my last for a long while!

Did you reside at the Hilton? at least they have a decent conceirge lounge...

I honestly hope to not go to another for a long time also...unless it for one of those 300k/yr+ G550 jobs I keep hearing about here....then Id be happy to march off to the 3 week torture camp.

You fly that thing yet?

Luckily the HS125 initial is 14 days. So I'll be gone 16 days, looks like, with travel and all. Three weeks sounds pretty painful.

Thanks for the tips.

Hey Falcon Capt,
How will this change your position in the great Gulfstream vs Faclon depate?

Will there be anyone left standing against GV Flyer except WISCODdriver?:D

Falcon Capt said:
You can say that again!

Homewood Suites in Grapevine. I've been there for 2 initials in one year. Great location, it's right by the Grapevine Mall. Nice shops, restaurants all within walking distance. The hotel does provide transportation to/from Simuflite. Las year the SimuFlite rate was $89.00/day for a pretty nice suite, they also provide a real good hot breakfast every morning. Good way to start your day!

Also a SpringHill Suites by Marriott, less then a year old, is right by the Homewood you could try that one too. Best bet is to inquire through the travel department at SimuFlite, they have been very helpful in the past.

Good Luck with training.

I second the Harvey. Great rate with simuflite, free shuttle service to school and mall, etc. great breakfast buffet,( it's free too) big rooms, they give the guys a corner suite who are there over a week, pool on the roof, decent gym, not the greatest but suffices, plenty of flat land to run if you like. the only bummer i can think of is they did away with the free drink coupons.... good luck

Latest resources

Back