Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G100driver said:
All good advice from above.

Remember that you are the customer and demand excellence out of your instructors. If you are not working well with your instructor get another. You are in charge.

Very Important. At night, throw your book aside and drink a beer and watch a movie. 2 weeks is a long time be looking at that book. Once you start working the sim and are done with class, you can go over the book again.

Good Luck. I am sure that you will do just fine. Once you get done you will laugh at how nervous you are now. I was the same way before I went to Simuflight for my 1st type rating.

G100 has hit the nail on the head.....take your time, you've got 2 weeks and that is plenty of time. i know everyone has their own study habits but if there is one thing i reccomend is make flash cards with all the limitations and mem items and the rest of the stuff will fall into place. Good luck and have fun with it!

Bombardier Lear 60 program is great. The instructors aren't a bunch of crusty old 707 Captains. Don't stress too much. Just know the systems and memory items like any other checkride. Make flash cards or use the little pocket Annunicator thing to study. Take a day off after the first week and go to Wilhoits (sp?) and get your drink on.

starcheckdriver -

Relax. I was in your very position not too long ago and found myself at Simuflite DFW for the 60. Great group of guys (Jim H. is a hoot.) They aren't out to get you. Do as much dry time in the mockup as possible. I typed in the 60 before the 35 and felt that the 35 was the more difficult one! Their training materials I thought were better than FSI's. But that's another debate I'd rather not start. You'll have fun. Good luck!

We need to clear something up: As previously mentioned, Simuflite DFW does not do training for the Lear 60. It is Bombardier that does training for the 60, 40/45, 300, 604, and GX (Montreal). This is true Factory Training, as only they have resources that no other provider has. They only share a building w/ Simuflite and use their sim techs. The courseware, instructors and simulators are all separate. I know it's confusing, but it really is two separate animals. The first time I went, I did International Procedures with Simuflite (Blech!) and then LJ-60 a few doors down.

They have an agreement where Simuflite cannot provide training for any current production Bombardier aircraft, so if you go for 35/C-21, 31A, or 55 you'll be training w/ Simuflite. The difference in quality of training is readily apparant to anyone who has done FSI or Simuflite. Where else can you ask a question of your classroom instructor and if he doesn't have the answer (rare), he'll call the flight test engineers during a break and get the answer.
(I'd like to continue flying Bombardier a/c so I never have to return to FSI.) No I don't work for them, just a big fan.

And Jim H. is on the 300 now.

Hey it's hard enough having to wear this big red nose but now I must put on my dunce cap?!!! Stupid BOZO!! :smash: 100% correct...they are in no way part of Simuflite and I humbly stand corrected for being lax in the discussion. Tailwinds!

Starcheckdriver,

I'm pretty sure I know who you are. How long did you fly the Lear on the freight side? If you got comfortable with that, then I would recommend focusing more time on the FMS and technology that the Lear60 has to offer. My sim partner and I (both starcheck alumni on the Lear35) at SkyWest had the most difficulty working with the technology and "the box." Starcheckers are soo used to green needles and not wanting to fly the flight director, but once you get used to it and know how to program the box, it really is a piece of cake. Forget trying to figure the 3-1, 2-1 or in AirNet's case 1-1 descents. Just follow the banana. (Uh oh, Glowinthedark, I GOT THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD AGAIN) Since I have not done a type yet, I would agree with what others are saying. Know your systems, schematics etc. Be able to talk them through each system. I know that the freight guys on their 35 types also had to know all the numbers for the arcs on oil press, oil temp, etc. Just stay in the books and you will do fine. Be sure to use both of you in the sim. It is a two man airplane. GOOD LUCK!!

USC328

Last edited:
One other thing ... this may seem a bit old fashoned. Show up for your check ride in a PRESSED shirt and a tie. POLISHED shoes are in order as well. If anything you sending the unconcious message that this is important to you and you take yourself and this checkride seriously. Good luck.

BOZO said:
starcheckdriver -

Relax. I was in your very position not too long ago and found myself at Simuflite DFW for the 60. Great group of guys (Jim H. is a hoot.) They aren't out to get you. Do as much dry time in the mockup as possible. I typed in the 60 before the 35 and felt that the 35 was the more difficult one! Their training materials I thought were better than FSI's. But that's another debate I'd rather not start. You'll have fun. Good luck!

Jim H., AKA Hollywood, IS a hoot! Enjoyed having him in the sim.

I was going to offer some advice when I first saw this topic, but others have already done so in very good fashion.

Latest resources

Back