Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starcheckdriver

Hey guys/gals,

I went to Simuflite for a 135 SIC qual on the Lear 35. I am now headed there for my ATP and type in the Lear 60. I am quite nervous as this is my first type rating in my career. I have no idea what to expect, what to study, how the checkrides are handled, the check airmen, etc. Any help/guidance/tips on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Lear 35 SIC did not require any checks at Simuflite so I am kinda in the dark on this ATP/Type ride. Thanks!

Some advice:

Your instructor is on your side. So will the Examiner who will most likely be another highly qualified Simuflite instructor. Relax.

On the checkride everyone makes mistakes. If you dwell on them it will be evident to everyone in the room (Simulator). Examiners want to see you be able to pull yourself up from your bootstraps after making an error. If you are thinking about an error you made three minutes ago you are GAURANTEED to miss something and make another big mistake in the near future. This one could be fatal.

Good luck and PM me if you want more info. I have spent several thousand hours in the sim.

Regards

Starcheckdriver,

Remember not to call the Bombardier Facility Simuflite. Even though they are attached they are completely different companies. For some reason the Bombardier folks get kinda peeved if you refer to them as Simuflite.

I had to have it explained to me before I understood it.

Have fun in training.

The guys over at Bombardier who do the instruction on the 60 are great. The 60 flies alot like the 35 just has a little more power. If you can fly the 35 you can fly the 60. There is a flight training device that is made avaiable too all the students. Make use of that. The biggest difficulty in that transition, especially comeing from the 35s you were flying is in the EFIS and FMS. Programming the FMS to do what you want when you want it in a timely manner can be a challenge for someone who has not done it before. Thats why you have two guys in the sim. Make use of the person not flying. Make use of the FTD. Its got all the FMS/EFIS stuff in there and you can play around with it all day if nobody is in there. If you have more questions feel free too PM me.

...oh and welcome to the Dark Side

If you are doing your training at Simuflite make sure that you ask to have the same instructor for your training. I just did an initial there on a different type, but I had 10 different instructors. Not very conducive to learning IMHO. They all seemed to know their stuff, but there were a lot of gaps in what was covered.
I have heard from several others that they had the same experience.

All good advice from above.

As far as the checkride goes:

1. Know all of your limitations down pat
2. Know all of your memory items down pat
3. Be able to talk the DE through all systems of the airplane while using a scamatic.
5. Know your annaciator panal.
4. Fly the airplane within the limitations as required by the ATP PTS.

Provided you fly the airplane to PTS standards and know the limitations everything else is bonus. While it might be nice to know the fuel pressure annunciator light illumiates when the pressure goes below 4.6 psi, (or whatever it is in a Lear 60) who cares. All that matters is you know what that annuciator is and WHY it alluminates. Do not waste your time trying to learn the non-memory items. This is for recurrent. You will be busy enough with important stuff.

Relax. Get the most out of your training. Remember that you are the customer and demand excellence out of your instructors. If you are not working well with your instructor get another. You are in charge.

Very Important. At night, throw your book aside and drink a beer and watch a movie. 2 weeks is a long time be looking at that book. Once you start working the sim and are done with class, you can go over the book again.

Good Luck. I am sure that you will do just fine. Once you get done you will laugh at how nervous you are now. I was the same way before I went to Simuflight for my 1st type rating.

To add one thing to G100driver's excellent advice, if you do give a number (such as 4.6 PSI or whatever), make darn sure it's the CORRECT number!

I've seen lots of people get in trouble because they gave a number or factoid that was really not required, and it was wrong! That is an invitation to the DE to start digging deeper, often with bad results.

G100driver said:
Provided you fly the airplane to PTS standards and know the limitations everything else is bonus. While it might be nice to know the fuel pressure annunciator light illumiates when the pressure goes below 4.6 psi, (or whatever it is in a Lear 60) who cares. All that matters is you know what that annuciator is and WHY it alluminates. Do not waste your time trying to learn the non-memory items. This is for recurrent. You will be busy enough with important stuff.

G100 and some dude are right on the money. Don't talk yourself into a hole. Answer the question and no more, if you don't know be honest and offer to look it up. Know your way around the AFM and checklist.

All the advice above is right on, have fun in training and relax. But when it comes to the checkride remember this one very important thing, "It's Your Checkride". Don't let the examiner rush you, you control the pace of the checkride. If you want an extra turn in the hold to set up for the appraoch ask for it, you'll get it. If you keep the pace of the ride slowed down, you will be more relaxed and less likely to make mistakes.

Latest resources

Back